close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which GPS receiver?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Racsan, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Racsan

Racsan

What has been your experience with GPS receivers. With the large selection available I would like to hear some feedback on ruggedness, battery life, general useability etc.

2. isp2605

isp2605

I got a Garmin 12MAP in 1999 and love it. Does a great job.
    My lil bro bought a Garmin Vista a few months ago. He says if he was buying again he would have gotten the Garmin Legend. The Vista is about $100 more and he only gets a compass, barometer, and more memory than the Legend. For $100 you can buy a really, really nice compass, who cares what the barometric pressure is, and the only time need to worry about the extra memory is when loading detailed maps which he doesn't.
    My dad bought a Legend about a month ago and loves it except he says he would like a bigger screen. But for the money the Legend is a good buy.
    A turkey hunting friend bought a yellow Etrex last spring. It's bottom line for the Garmin. It works great but he is now wanting to upgrade to models with maps. All the guys I know who started out with GPS without maps have all upgraded to models with maps. The difference in price between the yellow Etrex and the Legend is now about $40-$50. Until the end of December Garmin has $50 rebate on the Legend, Vista, and maybe a few other models.
    Cheapest place I've found on the net is www.gpsdiscount.com. That's where dad and lil bro bought theirs. Dad ordered his 1 evening and it came 2 days later. Lil bro had to wait 5 days for his since he ordered his just prior to a weekend.
    Some of the guys have Magellans. I haven't played with a Magellan. Reports are Magellans pick up better under heavy tree cover than does Garmin. Maybe, but I haven't had any problem with my 12MAP. However, I like the graphics better on the Garmin. It seems to be like the Ford-Chevy debate. Those with Magellans prefer Magellans and Garmin owners perfer Garmins.
    I don't go anywhere without my GPS. And once you get your GPS, if you like the outdoors or scavanger hunts, you have to try Geocaching (www.geocaching.com). It's addicting and great fun for the family. Kids love it.

3. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

check the below link for a great page dealing with all things GPS.....

Jesses GPS Pages

4. MI10mm

MI10mm

I recently upgraded from my Garmin Venture GPS to a Magellan SporTrak Pro GPS. The Garmin is a nice unit, but I wanted a mapping GPS. I guess that it just depends on how much you want to spend, how many features that you want to pay for, and how much you'll use the GPS after you buy it. They are both good units, but I've got to find the Garmin a new home now, since I don't need two units. MI10mm

5. Dan in Alaska

Dan in Alaska

Garmin has a new GPS unit (called Rino) out with an integrated 2-way FRS radio. Your hunting buddies appear on your plotting screen after they transmit their location to you. This seems to be a very handy feature, and the most expensive Rino model is only $250.

The units were supposed to hit the market in September, but I have yet to see one in person. Cabela's and REI have them listed in their catalogs already, so I would assume they are available. The Garmin website also has lots of information on the new units. I plan to buy one, if Santa fails to deliver.

6. MI10mm

MI10mm

7. WFR

WFR

I'm buying a Garmin Legend on Sunday.
    I already own a good compass that works when the GPS batteries die!
    isp2065 is right on target.

8. Kilgor

Kilgor American Millennium Member

I have the Garmin Legend and if I could do it over again I would get the Vista. The Legend is a great GPS with a lot of useful features, but the internal compass isn't for saying that's north and that's south. It is so that the GPS can get it bearing no matter which way it is turned or if it's still. The Legend requires you to move several feet before it can tell which direction is which. Over the last year that has been a pain at times. I'll sell my Legend with the box, computer cable, and instructions for $185 shipped if you really want a Legend.

Kilgor

9. flyboy5432H

flyboy5432H Pull.Mark.Bird.

i've had the Garmin GPS III+ for 2 years now and it's invaluable.

the best thing about it is the uploadable CD's for specific purposes *marine navigation, roads and cities, parks and recreation*. you can actually plot your route at home on your computer in big view and upload it straight to the unit.

They now have out the GPS V which i got to play with at a fishing tackle vendors show and it is another nice unit, and for people not used to a GPS very user friendly.

i've also used the Etrex, and it's an excellent unit, especially for the price.

if you have a boaters or larger outdoor store near you they usually have a large selection of units that you can play with right there to see what you like.

10. Dan in Alaska

Dan in Alaska

Thanks MI10mm. I really appreciate the link. I checked it out and I will purchase a different GPS unit. I already have a set of FRS radios. I was actually looking to buy a Venture before the Rino came out, so I guess I will go back to my original choice. Since you have one, what can you tell me about the Venture. What are you looking to get for yours?

11. MI10mm

MI10mm

Dan, I sent you a message with the info that you requested. I'm glad that the site gave you the info that you needed. MI10mm

12. iweb

iweb

I have been looking myself and was only looking at Garmin because I thought the Magellan was a toy BUT a guy at work set me straight. You can get a Magellan Meridian Gold or Platinum for like $230 (internet) and if you get the software ($150 retail, $73 internet) you get a $50 rebate. Go to Wallyworld and compare the Garmins and and Magellans side by side and the difference in screen size will help you make up your mind. You get a lot more bang (pun intended) for your buck with the Megellan and will save well over $100 for more features. I will be ordering the Platinum this weekend.

13. BriBunn

BriBunn Lock Talk

This is where I just ordered my Meridian Platinum from. I don't think you'll find it anywhere else for near as cheap as this.

http://www.shopharmony.com

I got mine for $239. Amazon sells the same thing for $350

14. iweb

iweb

$236 at: http://www.compuplus.com/ but what you all need to be carefull of is freight, once they quoted a guy $31 for a gps and when he complained he was quoted $16 and I believe Harmony is $5 freight. Also watch the accessories, they vary a lot and you can get the memory chips for the Platinum at Comp-usa for less than 1/2 price.