Which Glock would you shoot IDPA with?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by G2126, Mar 19, 2007.

1. G2126

G2126 Guest

I am thinking about trying IDPA and I am looking for opinions on which Glock to use, I am leaning toward a nine but can't decide between the G17, G19 or the G34. I have a Kimber Pro Raptor II .45 for my carry weopen but it may be too heavy for the Florida summers. I have a Glock 26 but my wife took it for carry gun. We also have a couple of snubnose .38s from S & W and Taurus. I was also wondering if most IDPA shooters are taking aim with the sights or point shooting, I don't think I could get on target with the sights as fast as I have seen. Only 45 not blind, we both get in about 100-150 shots per week at the range we belong to, and the nine would surely cut the cost of shooting the .45 so much. I do love both the Glocks and the Kimbers. My 4" Kimber is a hell of a tack driver but 200 shots in an afternoon and 230 grain FMJ will beat you up. Any other information is appreciated.

2. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Try it out with your Kimber. The typical IDPA club match is way less than 200 rounds and you ought to be able to get through it with .45 econoball. Then if you want to stay with it and shoot a 9mm Glock get a 17.

I don't know about most IDPA shooters, but I aim at any range measured in yards instead of feet.

3. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

Ditto. Shoot a few matches with your 45 before deciding you need anything else.

4. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man

Get a G34 and start reloading.:thumbsup:

Dave

5. urbanjunglist

urbanjunglist Guest

6. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

I shoot the G17 and G22
    I tried the 34/35 and just didn't like them as much but I cannot quantify exactly why.

7. shackiejake

shackiejake Guest

I have shot IDPA now for a couple of years and I normaly shot in the middle of the pack. I am not great just average. I have used a model 34 and it is good as it gets. No mater what gun you chose make sure it has a good set of sights on it. Some stages you will have to use your sights. Accuracy is the key to doing well and some stages have some long shots. I am currently using a Hennie/Dawson combo, I highly recommend them. I also shot a M&P sometimes and I have a set of 10-8 sights on it, I also highly recomend them. I will warn you that I see alot of people shot their 1st match with a weapon they thought they could trust their life to and have nothing but problems. Sorry if I step on some toes here, however it usually seems to be a 1911. The last two matches I have seen guys that could not run a clean match, both times 1911 and I know one was a Kimber. You cannot go wrong with a 9mm glock. 34 or 17!!!! Good luck and enjoy yourself and I always go with the attuitdute that I am their to learn and have a good time. Forget competive shooting learn and enjoy!!

8. urbanjunglist

urbanjunglist Guest

9. G. Gunman

G. Gunman Draw Varmint!

:) Whenever I do this I find myself surrounded by all different sorts of 9mm pistols. The Glocks are usually: G-17's, G-34's, (G-35's) and a few G-19's. Personally, I shoot a G-21 and have never felt handicapped by the 45 caliber.

Go ahead, try your 45; I think you'll be favorably surprised. ;)

10. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

not IDPA legal unless you use a non-ported barrel,

11. B Coyote

B Coyote

I shoot with a G19, because it's what I actually carry.

bc

12. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

Wow!
    What a novel idea.
    Refreshing to hear this line of thinking.

I actually carry a G22

13. coltman1985

coltman1985 Guest

I like the feel and balance of the G17 more. 9mm is cheap and I don't worry about getting all of my brass. Little less recoil helps for double taps and etc.:thumbsup:

14. shackiejake

shackiejake Guest

I agree with the guy above who carrries a Mod 19. I own a recovery business (repo) and I carry a model 34 almost everyday. The trick is to choose a vest that hangs very low. I have caught flax in the past from people about it not being practical to carry everyday, however it works for me and I am a small guy 5'9'' 180 pounds. A model 34 is acutally smaller than a 1911. I have an assorment of vest summer, winter, differeny colors etc. and have no problem with concelment. I also see a alot guys at matches with vest that you would not wear everyday. I shoot what I carry and I wear what I wear on the street when I shoot. The only thing I do not do is stuff my model 34 with my carry ammo, sorry but cannot afford to do it. You cannot go wrong with a Glock 9mm period. It is accurate, very easy to shoot and most importanly reliable. Belive me when you carry everyday crap gets in your weapon. Lint, dirt, leaves, etc belive me on this one. I also see guys who lub their weapons right before a match, bet they do not to that everyday packing. You don't have to lub a Glock everyday, however a $2,000 1911 is different story. Futhermore a Model 34 does not weigh but just a few more onces than many other models. However, buy what you can carry everyday and you cannot go wrong.

15. Lynn D

Lynn D Bullseye?

I shot my first IDPA match this weekend. G19. Lots of the other shooters in my squad were shooting 9 mm from Glocks and other flavors of guns. One guy shot 40 S&W, and another, .45 ACP. I commented on the number of 9 mm and was told that a lot of folks like them for IDPA.

Now, if only I could hit those small "A zones"....

16. ecmills

ecmills I shoot guns.

Personally, I point-shoot at anything closer than about 5 yards. After that, it's sights. Try it at the range next time. You'll quickly learn where your ability to consistently draw, point-shoot, and hit the -0 portion of the target lies. For me, I actually score FAR better point-shooting at those ranges than if I try to bring the sights up and rush my shots.

Last stage we shot last week was 3 targets shoulder-to-shoulder with a no-shoot covering their torsos, and then one off to the side about 3 yards back. You started 3 feet away the group of 3... I had no trouble hitting all 6 head-shots while backpedaling to cover and point-shooting, then sighted fire on the remaining target's torso. One of the best times on that stage was mine, and it was the only stage I used point-shooting on. :)

I shoot a G34 and a Kahr CW9. Odd mix, I know. I shoot them both because the Kahr is what I carry, and the Glock is the nightstand gun. Honestly, I don't shoot the kahr very often because there are very few stages that require 15 shots or less (7+1, and a spare mag). I need to get a third mag for the CW9.

Really, though, I shoot the G34 most of the time because I want to look tacticool. It's a hard mentality to shake, and ony 3 guys out of the 20 or so I shoot with actually use a sub compact/compact gun. I'm not saying they don't carry an STI/SVI or G35 daily... but it's highly unlikely they're all shooting their primary defensive firearms. :)

17. shackiejake

shackiejake Guest

I agree alot of guys do not carry what they shoot. Try to conceal any pistol with a funnel for a magwell. Anin't going to happen, unless you are dressed for the South Pole. I have that they grip of the pistol is what you must pay attention to when concealing a firearm. For example I can conceal my mod 34 as easy as a mod 17 because I were vest that are long in length. However, it easy to get caught up in the tactical crap and wanted to game. However, I always try to shoot my cary gun with my normal street clothes.

18. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

I shoot with my street clothes from time to time at local matches but not at sanctioned matches.
    I would if everyone else did.:supergrin:

19. B Coyote

B Coyote

Street clothes and IDPA clothes are supposed to be different?:shocked:

bc

20. shootingbuff

shootingbuff Millennium Member

19, 23, 26, or 27.

sb