close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

which glock to build a race gun out of

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by guitarscrub, Sep 7, 2002.

1. guitarscrub

guitarscrub

I was wondering what Glock would be best for building a race gun out of. I am not doing any competition but have thought about it. I am going to get a new glock next weekend and wanted to get something that could do home protection and can be dreesed up into a race gun.

thanks

2. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Kinda depends on where you wanna race. USPSA? Open? Limited?

3. guitarscrub

guitarscrub

I don't really know as I am new to it all. I curently own a g27 that I will use for CCW. I know there are a lot of optional gear for Glocks & 1911's. I would like a gun that I could have fun building and shooting.

4. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

I would stick with the 40 then...it will compliment your G27.

One of the full-size 40's makes for a very versatile competition gun. The G22 or G35 are excellent choices. I currently shoot (and have for a while) a G35 in competition. I like it just fine, however,,, I would be just as comfortable with a G22. A G22 (slighty shorter barrel) will get in and out of IDPA and Production class holsters easier. All it needs is a little trigger work and it is ready to go. (OK...maybe some new sights and an extended mag release)

5. D.E. Marksman

D.E. Marksman

I know that ya'll are going to think that I am crazy. Here is what I am planning on doing.... I am going to start with the G19. I think that with a good hot load it really has the best slide speed of any. I am going to get the chamber milled out from 9x19 to 9x21. You can make major with 9x21. Then have my local Glock Guru fix the trigger up. (He fixed my IDPA G19 and the trigger is pulling 2.75lbs with a smooth pull and clean break. Then I am going to turn the gun over to my Glock Guru's son in law for a handle reshaping and texturing. Then I will get a comp. set up on the gun. I don't know how or which one yet. Then the final step is to get a halosight. To top it off I have five hi-cap PRO-Mags. They function great. With those I will add the little plus 10 thing that I have heard so much about so that I have stick mags. I will work up a good and hot 9x21 load on the Dillion 550 and then I will be good to go. Now...Where to get the money??? These plans are waiting on one really good month. Let us know what you decide.

6. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

WHat depends on what you want in the end.

For GSSF Unlimited a G17
    For USPSA Open G17
    Limited or L10 35
    Production or IDPA 34

You going to have some trouble making major with lighter bullets in 9x21 out of a short 19 barrel.

7. mlanush

mlanush

Guitar scrub ,

Most of the guys I shoot with in the houston area shoot the 35 except for one guy shoots a 20 and me I shoot the 21... I think the 35 would be a fine choice. You would be able to shoot in production, lim-10, limited . You need to come out and take a look at everybody shooting. There is usually a match every weekend somewhere in the houston area.. be sure to bring a pistol. all you need to start is a pistol about 4 10 rounders or 3-4 hicaps, which ever ones you have, a holster that covers the trigger gaurd and ready to have some great fun..

You can go to www.texassouthsection.com and find out about the local glubs here in houston/ sorrounding area...

Good luck and have fun, maye i'll see ya at the range....

Mlanush

8. guitarscrub

guitarscrub

Thanks for the input I was leaning towards either the 19, 21, or 22. Any thoughts on these models. I feel these would do well with an optics mount and still be somewhat concielable if I wanted to use it that way

Thanks

9. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

10. Peter - BKK

Peter - BKK

I have a Glock 34 which works well for Standard, Production and Open. The 9mm round is cheaper and more available here, otherwise I would have gone for the Glock 35 which has all the same features but can also make "major".

With either gun you can shoot Standard one day and then add a compensated barrel (eg FireDragon) and a red-dot sight (eg Glockmeister optica mount and C-More sight) and shoot Open the next day. The swapover takes about 10 minutes plus a few rounds to recalibrate the sight.

11. guitarscrub

guitarscrub

well There is a new Glock 22 in the house! I got it at the gun show this morning. It sure fits may hand well. By the way I also picked up a Steyr S9 from a guy there. I have heard these are good guns so had to jump on it. any body know about these.

Thanks

12. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

I don't know the S9 from the M9...but, Tom Freeman of the Air Force shooting team nearly made Grand Master shooting a Steyr. (In Production)

13. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

Had a ball doing it I might add... Too bad this war is keeping me overseas so much.

If I was going to build a new Open Class Glock it would be on a 17 or a 34. Most likely it would be a 34 with a 17L barrel and a bunch of holes, a 124 jhp and a casefull of SP2 or 3N38.

Tom

14. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

Matt at Custom Glock will be building a USPSA/IPSC Open Class firearm for me later this year using a 3 pin G17. This firearm will be chambered in 9x21.