Which Glock should I get

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Andy W, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

Love my 22!... but you really can't go wrong with any of them!

2. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

Either the G17 or G22 Gen4's would be fine. I know some are having 'teething' problems... I'm a 9mm fan myself. Shoot it the most. I have to agree it's slightly cheaper than .40S&W. But, .40 isn't that much more expensive. .40 to me seems 'snappier'. I'm not recoil sensitive, just feels sharper when shooting. See if you can rent/borrow someones Glock 22 to try before you buy. It has already been said already, "can't go wrong with either".

By the way, my 21st birthday present to myself was my first Glock, a G37.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010

3. Slug71

Slug71

4. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

G-19 was my first Glock over 20 years ago. That would be my choice and it would be a gen4.

5. Andy W

Andy W

Does anyone have a Glock 26/27 as their only handgun? If so, can you do everything you want with it?

6. VAisForGlockers

VAisForGlockers

My 26 isnt my only handgun, but its my preferred one. I use it for GSSF since I shoot it better than my other Glocks and I carry it too. Love the 26 :supergrin: You can use stock 10rd mags to carry or for the range and HD, you can run any other Glock 9mm mag in it (15rd, 17rd, 33rd)

7. Sonnytoo

Sonnytoo

The G22 is a very popular full-sized gun. Good choice. If recoil is an issue, get the G17 or G19 9mm instead.

Sorry you dumped your "gifted" guns. I plan to give away my guns to sons and grandkids soon, and would be hurt if they just dumped them for a little temporary money. Of course, none of my business.
    Sonnytoo

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  8. deeHKman

deeHKman "It Is Written"

i have never owned glocks or even held one. Back in July i had read on the net about The Glock19 and went to check out the new gen4. The owner/glock armorer had some gen3 and gen G19 the gen3 felt alright but the second he out the gen4 in my hand i bought. If not for the gen4 i would have not bought a glock..i liked it so much bought another mine are flawless as my CZ's. The gen4 feel great i carry mine EDC. THe caliber go 9mm with the 9 and the updated defensive ammo i carry +9+BPLE . And you can shoot and enjoy the 9 and have some money in your pocket. I also like the .357sig much more than the .40 but it is a persons choice. The 9mm is by far your best bet plus unlike the .40 you will enjoy shooting it no Snap.

9. k4rch

k4rch

10. DubfromGA

DubfromGA

I agree.

Buy something you can afford to shoot. If you don't then I suspect the gun will go wherever your other guns went off to.

11. Andy W

Andy W

My grandpa bought me a Ruger Mark I shortly after I graduated high school. I still have that one and do not plan on selling it. The other ones that were bought by my dad and "gifted" to me had no sentimental value. Think about the nuances of what I just typed. Let me put it this way; my dad used to come across some extra money sometimes and then he decided to use that money to buy me a gun that I wanted.

I'm also considering getting a Gen 3 G26 but I want to know if it can do everything the bigger ones can do. These fit my hand pretty well too and don't have the reliability issues the Gen 4 9mms seem to have.

12. VAisForGlockers

VAisForGlockers

Buy a G26 and dont look back. TRUST me! :supergrin: It will do everything the other 9mm's can do but just in a smaller package. There is a lot of love around here for the G26 and it has earned every bit of it.

13. VAisForGlockers

VAisForGlockers

14. FobulousGlock

FobulousGlock

I say G22. Unless you plan on putting thousands of rounds down range a month, I wouldn't worry too much about cost. Just get the caliber you want. If you do get a Gen 3, you can always swap the 9mm conversion barrel onto it for a little more and be able to shoot both calibers.

15. Mountain Walker

Mountain Walker

A Gen 3 G19 would be a versatile choice and serve you many years. Twenty years ago I got a lightly used Gen 2 G19, that has served well and will likely be in happy service long after I am gone. Before buying the Gen 4, hold the grip and make sure it is what you want. Newer Gen 4 does not have the super aggressive side panels present when the Gen 4 first came out and if it is an easier reach to the trigger that may sway you.

Before you buy a 40SW, shoot one with defense loads. Some folks find the 40 S&W too snappy with defense loads and is more abrupt than a 45 Auto. If you have your heart set on 40SW then consider that the XD and Sig Pro are noticeably softer shooting. Both of those pistols are less money than Glock.

The little G26 and G27 are outstanding small weapons that will shoot accurately like a service pistol and always work. Even though my little finger is curled below the magazine plate on the G27, the pistol is just as accurate and reliable as the larger models. This pistol is also large enough for quick manipulation in loading or clearing a jam. Jams don't occur with quality ammo. Also of interest the barrel is 3.6" long and will develop muzzle velocity to ensure that bullets perform. The G26 is a very good size!

16. den888

den888

Get the G22 and a 9mm conversion kit. You can shoot both .40 and 9mm from this set-up.

17. Andy W

Andy W

I know a range that rents Glocks for a pretty reasonable price. I'll have to go out there and try out a G26 when I get a chance. Also, if anyone has experience with both the G26 and M&Pc 9mm, I'd like to hear your thoughts on how they compare. The only thing I don't like about the M&P is its trigger. Have they improved it any since 2008?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  18. Front Sight

Front Sight Front Sight

You want a G26. With a GAP plate on one mag and a 7151 extension on the other mag.
    You don't need a .40 cal. Save your money on ammo.

19. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

I think you should get a .40. If you don't get a .40, get a 9mm. The 23 or 19 would be the ones to start your addiction. I started mine with the 23 not long after they came out and I've had a few since, currently have two. There are guns that carry better and there are guns that you can shoot for longer durations without fatigue at the range. There are few to no guns that do it all like the 23 can. Many 23 owners would choose it if limited to a single automatic handgun, myself included. I consider the 19/23/32 Glocks small full size guns. No pinkies flapping, 4" barrels, nice power and capacity.

20. hubbard

hubbard