close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which Glock for IDPA?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SturmWaffen, Mar 8, 2004.

1. SturmWaffen

SturmWaffen

Which Glock would you consider better for IDPA matches? A Glock 22 or 21?

2. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

FOr SSP or ESP a 34 or 17. For CDP a 21. THere is no power factor so shooting a 40 will put you at a disadvantage.

3. CovertPenguins

CovertPenguins Member Me

I shoot my G27 in IDPA. I'm not there for the competition though. I shoot IDPA to allow me the best possible practice under the stress of competition so that I'm more proficient with my carry gun. If I was just interested in winning matches I'd go with a G17.

4. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I need to ask you a question to answer better.....

If you want to "WIN" at IDPA shooting at the range then the 9mm models with the longest sight radius and least recoil will be easier to shoot well and faster... The 17 works very well as a balance between size / grip and sight radius.

If you want to have some fun and train to be better at gun handling if needed to defend yourself you need to shoot what you carry or use for home defense.... I choose to shoot my 31 for most IDPA shooting because my 17 ( although easier to shoot fast ) is not something I would ever use in the real world to rely on for self defense...

I now am changing over to the 1911 platform because I would rather train to one weapon platform type and one trigger pull. The more powerful glocks , but something you would choose to carry for defense make sense on several levels.

Don't confuse IDPA for serious weapons training.... but the skills learned and performing on demand are excellent things to do. Also sorting out equipment problems and shooting on the move and one handed are all skills that should be practiced for serious self defense training. I have found shortcomings in my equipment and skills while shooting IDPA and I will be forever grateful for that that information. I have also met some fine like minded people and reinforced good safety skills while shooting those targets...

5. pangris

pangris Moderator

I'd second the G17, or if you actually carry a .45 then the G21.

IMHO, the .40 is the worst fo the bunch regarding recoil and controlability, just my $.02.

Paul

6. smoke_n_guns

smoke_n_guns

I use the exact same setup for IDPA as I do for carry. Same single mag holder, same holster, same gun. I started shooting IDPA for the sake of more practical practice, as opposed to standard lane-type shooting.

I guess it really depends on what you want to get out of it. If I were going to shoot to "win", I'd have a 17. But for me, I look at it like training, and I "win" every day I go home in one piece.

Good luck, have fun, and stay safe. :cool:

7. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

If you reload shoot a 40SW, I've never seen a 9mm @ 125PF shoot as soft as my 40 load. N320 3.8gr, Mt Gold 180CMJ, WSP, any case, OAL 1.125.

I shoot a G23 in IDPA and do quite well with it.

8. MarkP

MarkP

From the 2 you offer : the 22.

9. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

Use the one that you shoot the best, I know a guy that can't shoot a 17 well but can cut holes at 25 yards with his 27 so the 27 is all he shoots at the local IDPA matches and we call him Mr.Zero for a reason now so of you shoot the 21 better than the 22 you should shoot the 21 and Carry the 21. Like the old days run what you broung I myself shoot the 23 better than my 17 so it is all up to you and what you shoot best.

10. glkdawg45

glkdawg45

• Use what you carry everyday
    • Carry the one you shoot the best with
    • Go and have fun

.02 worth :cool:

11. TheTam

TheTam

There are two different types of IDPA competitors: gamers and real-worlders. The answer to your question depends on why you're shooting in the IDPA.

If you're shooting IDPA as a sport and want to compete well (gamer), you'll want a Glock 34--the target 9mm pistol.

If you're shooting IDPA to practice for possible real-world situations, you'll want to shoot whatever gun you plan to carry around every day. Personally, I'd opt for the G21, unless you don't want to lug it around every day--then I'd suggest the G30, which is my primary carry gun (and which I shoot in the IDPA.)

FWIW, I agree with what's been said about the .40 vs. .45. I own a G22C and a G30, and the G30 is MUCH more accurate than the G22C, even though the 22 has a 5" barrel and is a .40, as opposed to the 3.78" barrel on the .45-caliber G30. Glock really hit a sweet spot with the G30. :cool: :) :cool: