close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which Glock for IDPA / IPSC?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by PittsburghFrank, May 7, 2004.

1. PittsburghFrank

PittsburghFrank

I do not currently own a Glock and have read all the GT 9mm vs. .40 debate threads trying to decide which to buy. I am not a LEO and I do not use a gun in my job. In addition to the standard personal protection reasons for owning a handgun, I am interested in the shooting sport of IDPA/IPSC.

I have boiled my Glock model choices down to a G17 or a G22. I have rented and shot both models and will definitely need a lot of practice with whatever I finally purchase.

I am trying to decide which model would be better for IDPA/IPSC and was wondering what everyone else is using. My research shows me there isn't a predominance of one caliber over the other. I had one guy tell me that some of the targets put up a fight against 9mm and that the .40 is the better of the two calibers.

I don't want to start another 9mm vs. .40 debate; I just want to know what caliber you use for IDPA/IPSC and why. Also, please indicate what weight round you use in the caliber you use.

2. GlockRik

GlockRik

If you are buying for IDPA, get the g-17. Ammo is so much cheaper, if you reload this will not be an issue. I get Blazer 9mm for 3.99 a box, and buy 2 or 3 cases at a time. I could not do this with 40 cal.
    Good Glokin, Rik

3. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Since you have never shot either, your best choice for both is a G17. Why? Their is no advantage in IDPA for shooting a 40S&@ in ESP/SSP, since the power floor is only 125. And since USPSA offers a Production class, ie, IDPA gear, with USPSA rules, that leaves the G17/G34. Now if you handload, then a 'minor' 40S&W makes more sense...

4. eljay45

eljay45 NRA member

For IDPA the G17 is definately the better choice. it will put you in the same Div as the G22 but allow you to shoot much cheaper ammo with lesss recoil. If it is for USPSA you have to consider the Major/Minor thing. If the pistol isn't going to be carried you might look at the G34 or G35. They would be better for competition.

5. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

If you reload get a 40 it can be made to shoot softer than a 9mm. If you don't reload get a 9mm.

6. Nick Weidhaas

Nick Weidhaas

I shoot both IDPA and USPSA with a .40cal Glock. In USPSA I run a G35 top end and a G22 top end in IDPA. I shoot a 165pf load in both games and don't think the recoil issue is that big a deal (for me). If you plan on reloading the .40 makes more sense as it give you more options down the road (USPSA L10, Limited, Production, IDPA SSP and ESP and it can be downloaded for super soft loads.

If you are not going to reload, get the G17 or G34 and shoot IDPA SSP and USPSA Production. Another option is to get the G22 or 35 and get a 9mm conversion barrel from KKM. They make a specific barrel that will let you convert your G22 or G35 .40 to 9mm. A friend shoots a G22 set up like this and it works great. (You will need new mags as well. He did NOT have to change his extractor or ejector.
    Nick-

7. Big_Jim

Big_Jim

I pretty much agree with everyone else here. I started with a G19, 9mm and it worked just fine but, I went to a G22, 40 because thats what I wanted to carry and I thought it would knock down the steels better. I load my own and they're light so I'm not sure if I'm getting any advantage on the steels but I've never had one not fall down, so maybe it is better. I'm thinking about getting a G17, 9mm to shoot because of the cost, and I'm already loading 9mm for my wife and friends so why not me. As far as performance, as long as the ammo is full power and the hits are good, the steel won't know the difference. I'm talking about IDPA here by the way, I've never done IPSC. So, either will work.