Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have a Glock 22 for the house and will not be carrying it, and as of right now I also have a Glock 27 that I do carry. I was considering selling the 27 and was looking at possibly replacing it with the "slightly" larger Glock 30s. I'd even gain 1 round and have .45 over .40, or going even "slightly" larger than this but not to full size territory, I could go to a Glock 19 with way more capacity 9mm albeit, with the Glock 23 included as well for middle ground. What would you do?

· NRA Life Member
75,531 Posts
I would carry a Glock 27 or 23.

If the 27 doesn't feel like you can shoot it well, you are doing it wrong. A lot of people who compete in GSSF and shoot the exact same course of fire with subcompact and full-size Glocks find that they consistently shooter faster and more accurately with the subcompact. I thought you couldn't shoot as well with a subcompact until I started shooting GSSF, with targets out to 25 yards, and proved myself wrong.

I have shot GSSF matches with a 26, using factory ammo, alongside a 17, and with a 27, using Gold Dot hollow points, alongside a 22.

· Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
11,992 Posts
I do carry a 26 and 30s, the 26 with plus 2 extensions. In your case I would stick with the 27 and entertain pearce pg39 extensions, if that is an issue, if not stay with the 27 as is.

· Registered
2,249 Posts
I think yr pretty well set with what you've got. You already have a full-size .40 and a compact one. Unless you wanna change things up, caliber-wise, nothing wrong with that either. Find a local range and try some out.

· Just sayin'
4,680 Posts
Any gun that *YOU* are comfortable with is better than no gun is my theory if I lived in a free state.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
I'd keep the 27. You bought into a system with your 22 and 27. Both take same caliber, shoot the same and with the 27, all 40 caliber Glock mags fit. Your 27 essentially is a 23, just shorter. In my opinion of course!

· Banned
6,834 Posts
Keep that G27! It's one of the world's best EDC weapons...much easier to conceal than a G19 or G23. I still use my 1997 G27 as my EDC weapon, although I converted it to a G33 in .357SIG a few years ago.

If you are interested in trying a new caliber, the only difference between an OEM pre-Gen4 G27 and a G33 is the barrel and the magazine...and slide markings of course. If Gen4, the trigger mechanism housing with 30499 ejector for .357SIG differs from the TMH for .40SW as well. But a G33 barrel is all that is needed to play with .357SIG.

· With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,892 Posts
I prefer 9mm, but since you apparently don't mind .40, I wouldn't change a thing. I think there are real advantages to having different sized guns that can share magazines. Also, the subcompact Glocks are at the top of the food chain as far as CC is concerned.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright update guys. My 22 was my old duty weapon. I have it now more as a "home gun" and will pass this off to my son in the future. I use to own a 23 and LOVED the feel of the compact sized Glock in my hand; it almost feels like it's built for my hand. Granted, it is bigger than the 27 and a little harder to conceal, however, for that sacrifice I also got 3 more rounds. My choice to go with the 27 was for concealability but I lost the 3 extra rounds. Maybe my hand/mind yearns for the feel of the compact sized Glock again but in this case I'm thinking, why not the 19. It's the same size as the 23 and holds even more ammo. I no longer carry the Glock 22 for duty so another Glock in .40 as a BUG ie:27 isn't really necessary for compatability of mags. If anything it would just be because I wanted another .40. I think I've put the 30S out of my head as even though the slide is thinner, I would still have the thickness of the frame. I think I'm set on a compact Glock now, it's just a matter of which one? 19, a 23 again, possibly a 32? For clarification this will be a carry gun.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Spend more time shooting, less time worrying about "1 extra round" and such.

If you got the itch for a new gun quit justifying and go get it.

Never complicate your safety.

I am not a curmudgeon, I am THE Curmudgeon!
This sounds exactly like something I'd tell somebody else. I shoot plenty so it's not like I have a problem with accuracy of any particular caliber.

· Registered
4,259 Posts
Steve,

Well if you have a 22 and 27 and want something slightly bigger, the 23 is something of a no-brainer. It's a good carry form factor, and you can convert it to shoot 357SIG, 9mm, and .22LR.

I'd also consider getting a 43 also. Having a 22, 23, and 27 gives you a lot of guns with very little size difference between them. Having, and 22, especially with a light mounted, for house use, a 23 for primary carry and a 43 for pocket carry and/or deeper concealment, makes a lot of sense. I'd also get open bottom holsters for the 23, so that, if necessary, you could carry the 22 in them.

· Banned
6,834 Posts
At 6-ft 2-in and 260-lbm I'm not especially petite. Yet I've never found Glock the compact models easy to carry concealed...they are identical in width and only a half-inch less in length and height than full-size models. In contrast, the subcompacts have very significant reductions in length and height.

The reduced ammo capacity of the subcompacts is without significance. You have 9+1 in your G27. Just how often does anyone hear of self-defense use of a firearm in which 10 rounds did not resolve the confrontation? It's so extremely rare that the answer is, essentially, never! That's true even for LE service.

You already have an excellent complement of weapons that lack nothing for home defense and concealed carry service. :)

· Registered
1,272 Posts
I already have a Glock 22 for the house and will not be carrying it, and as of right now I also have a Glock 27 that I do carry. I was considering selling the 27 and was looking at possibly replacing it with the "slightly" larger Glock 30s. I'd even gain 1 round and have .45 over .40, or going even "slightly" larger than this but not to full size territory, I could go to a Glock 19 with way more capacity 9mm albeit, with the Glock 23 included as well for middle ground. What would you do?

I would NOT sell the G27. You'll never recoup enough to justify doing so.

I WOULD add a G23. Doing so gives you three Glocks of the same caliber and allows for magazine interchange which can be excellent. You could use an XGRIP sleeved G23 magazine in your G27 to give you a nice grip for belt holster wear while still retaining a pistol that can be pocket carried.

The G23 along with the GAP floorplate can make a tremendous carry gun. You get almost the same capability of the mighty G22 but in an easily concealed package.

I think you are already 2/3 of the way there with the .40s&w.......adding the G23 will enable you to cover every scenario.

Keep the G27. Add a G23. Add the magazine enhancements available to you for each. Add some holsters for each that cover the range of carry sceneries you'll encounter.

You are close to being in a great situation.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.