Glock Talk banner

Which G20

• G20SF

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • G20 Gen4

Votes: 29 70.7%

Which Glock 20

1698 Views 31 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  17glock17
Looking to pick up a new G20. Not sure which one to go for, the G20sf or the G4 G20 with the smallest backstrap installed? Any help or opinions, feedback would be appreciated! Thanks
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Just sayin'
4,682 Posts
Gen 4 and because of the new grip texture and option to change back straps.

· Registered
124 Posts
If I didn't need it immediately I would wait for the Glock 40 also. If you have to have it now, then Glock 20 Gen 4. The adjustable backstrap should allow you to customize the grip for you. The 20SF is fixed.

The Glock 40 was schedule for June release but I haven't heard of any being delivered yet.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
Gen4 because you can customize the grip better for your hand and you'll have a better grip for when you hands are sweaty or wet weather.

· Registered
837 Posts
A Gen3 most definitely. Still the most reliable 10mm. Can't go wrong. Plus, if you want to use different RSA's for heavier/lighter loads there are more and better options with the Gen3.

I'm biased, I had a Gen4 20 that was the most unreliable pistol I've every used. My Gen3 is the most reliable pistol I've ever used.

Don't give any wait to anyone's recommendation who doesn't own either, especially regarding the Gen4 version. If you haven't already, I would ask this question on the 10ring.

· Registered
1,275 Posts
A Gen3 most definitely. Still the most reliable 10mm. Can't go wrong. Plus, if you want to use different RSA's for heavier/lighter loads there are more and better options with the Gen3.

I'm biased, I had a Gen4 20 that was the most unreliable pistol I've every used. My Gen3 is the most reliable pistol I've ever used.

Don't give any wait to anyone's recommendation who doesn't own either, especially regarding the Gen4 version. If you haven't already, I would ask this question on the 10ring.

What type of problems did you have with the Gen4 G20 ?

I haven't shot one.....but did own a Gen3 G20 for a couple years. Never had a single fail-to-feed-or-fire with it and I shot everything from the Silvertip loads to hot DoubleTap & Buffalo Bore loads in it.

I'm holding hopes that the G40 MOS will be great guns.

Interested in what went wrong with your Gen4 G20.

· Registered
2,206 Posts
Had my Choice of both. Had a Gen3SSF. Sold it to finance an AR. Missed the G20 so I had a choice between the 2. Chose the Gen4. Better Grip and just felt better in my hand. Glad I chose the Gen4. Shoots better than my old 20sf with the improved grip texture.

· Registered
837 Posts
What type of problems did you have with the Gen4 G20 ?

I haven't shot one.....but did own a Gen3 G20 for a couple years. Never had a single fail-to-feed-or-fire with it and I shot everything from the Silvertip loads to hot DoubleTap & Buffalo Bore loads in it.

I'm holding hopes that the G40 MOS will be great guns.

Interested in what went wrong with your Gen4 G20.
It had failures to feed with every type of ammo I tried. Nose of the bullet lodging against the top of the chamber. I tried various spring rates. What actually seemed to work the best with it was a Gen3 spring with an adapter. I sent it back to Glock twice. Second time they offered me whatever I wanted so I chose a Gen3.

I received a lot of help from 10mm fans on 10mmforums. Everyone who had a Gen3 had nothing but good reliability with them. A few others had problems with Gen4 20's also, not as much as I did. I did have one of the earlier ones. I have heard of some issues as recently as those manufactured last fall. Haven't kept up as much lately so I'm not positive if the newest are extremely reliable as the Gen3 is.

· Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Im a litte concerned about the reliability issues of the G4 G20s. has that been resolved by now?

Im also wondering which feels the smallest. Im looking for the smallest feeling the G20SF or the Gen4 G20. I wont be able to handle each before I decide.

Thanks!

· Premium Member
5,924 Posts
There is nothing about the Gen4 that would cause me to pay a significant price premium for it. I like my G20SF Gen3, and unless the Gen4 were the same price, I would be happy with the Gen3.

Having said that (as pointed out above!) the G40MOS is being released now. I would pay a premium for that platform over both the G20SF, and the G20 Gen4!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.