close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which Glock 10 mm????

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Doc Mark, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark

Greetings, All,

Time for a completely speculative thread and question! I have been thinking about buying another Glock, but the only ones which call my name (right now) are one in .45ACP, or one in 10mm. Now, I have several other brands of pistols that do quite well in .45ACP, so IF I was going to buy another Glock, which 10 mm model should I consider, and why? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each, please? I look forward to hearing from you Glock 10mm shooters, with your thoughts, comments, and suggestions, based upon your own experiences with the 10mm in your Glock. Many thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,

P.S. At first thought, I would probably like to wring out the best that the 10mm has to offer, but am not certain that it's possible to do that without reloading. I have been reloading since the '60's (Lee Loader!), and with full gear and many calibers since the early 1980's, but I am not crazy about reloading for any Glock, as long as it has it's original barrel, due to brass life issues/cartridge support.

2. K_Rasmussen

K_Rasmussen NRA Life Member

The 29 is easily concealed, it's like a thick 19/23/32.

3. Glock40man

Glock40man

If your gonna use it for an EDC, I recommend the G29. If you're looking or a woods or range gun I'd go with the G20.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  4. Lindenwood

Lindenwood

I think the only way I'd get excited about the 10mm is in a longslide with an aftermarket barrel. I would love to play with those loads pushing 180gr hard-case bullets beyond 1400fps :) . But, in a subcompact I think it would be just as much a novelty as anything. It's like the people who quote .357mag figures from 8" barrels, but then carry a 2" snubby :) .

5. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

10mm all the way, more energy at 100 yards than 45 has at the muzzle...not to mention the 10mm glocks are very versatile! You can shoot .357sig, and .40sw with just a barrel change. And yes, to absolutely squeeze every ounce of power out ofa 10mm, reloading is required, but underwood ammo does a good job of making real full power 10mm ammo! You should check out the 10ring forum here, lots of good guys and good info!

6. cablecutter

cablecutter

G29

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. 21Carrier

21Carrier Until I Gota 29

I have a G29, G20LS (G21SF converted to LWD G20 long slide), and just bought a new Colt Delta Elite today. I have reloaded and fired about 11,800 rounds of 10mm through my two 10mm Glocks (10,600 through G29, 1,200 though G20LS). This question really boils down to what you need from the gun. If you plan to ever carry it, G29SF all the way. I carried a G21SF for a year, and it's very doable. However, after switching to the G29, I realized how big it was. The G29 and its 10+1 capacity is perfect for CC. If you want a range/hunting/woods protection gun, then the G20SF would be better. The G29SF would also be a good woods protection gun.

Ballistically, you will gain about 50-80fps by going with the G20SF over the G29SF, depending on bullet weight. However, don't let anyone tell you that a G29 is limiting the potential of 10mm, or that it won't be capable of beyond .40S&W ballistics. I have loaded and chronographed loads exceeding 700ft-lbs of energy with my STOCK G29. Also, recoil is a bit stiffer with the G29. I would go with the SF version in either platform. I have L or XL hands, and the SFs fit me better, though I own a G29.

About reloading and barrels. You will be FINE. Of the 10,600 rounds through my G29, every last one of them was through the stock barrel, and I load them HOT. About 80% have been at, above, or within .5gr of book maximums. With the stock barrel, I have had 12 pieces of brass ruined due to Glocksmiles, and they were overly hot loads in workups. I can easily push 135gr bullets to 1575fps, 155gr to 1400fps, 180gr to 1300fps, and 200gr to 1200fps, all with the STOCK barrel. Sure, you might get more from an aftermarket barrel, but I think the stock barrel is BETTER for handloading. With the loose factory barrel, you get brass expansion, and can read the relative pressures of loads. I know when I see .4340-.4345" of case expansion that I'm nearing the limit. With an aftermarket barrel, I get about .427" expansion whether I am shooting 180gr bullets at 800fps or 1300fps. So, I have no clue when to stop until I see smiles. That's living on the edge. And as far as brass life goes, I just shot a batch of brass for its 16th time!!! About 5-6 of those were max loads, and another 5-6 were medium-hot. Only the last few were tame (.40S&W velocity). So, brass life is fine.

You really do need to reload to get the most out of 10mm, but that sounds like it's not an issue for you. Being a reloader, I can GUARANTEE that you will love 10mm. You don't need to worry about which gun to get, you just need to worry about how you're gonna explain to the wife the 5 new 10mm guns that will come AFTER this one. It's that bad. I vote for whichever one you can get your hands on first. Have fun!

P.S.- Here's a picture of my newly expanded 10mm family. Top to bottom: G20LS (with G21SF slide below), Colt Delta Elite, G29.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark

Morning, Gentlemen,

Thanks, very much, for the comments and suggestions! 21carrier, your comments are exactly what I wanted to hear, so thanks a ton, and also for the photo of your 10mm family. Your thoughts on reloading safely in such pistols were very interesting to me, and well considered. That makes me feel better about getting into those waters. How does the M29 compare in size to my M27? I wouldn't mind having both a 29 and a 20, but think that, especially after reading what you and the other guys had to say, that the 29 would work best for my purposes and situation. Many stores around here do not stock Glocks in 10mm, unfortunately, or at least not regularly. So, I'd have to be patient for one to come in so I can see how it feels in my own hands before plunking down the coin for it.

Does anyone have a photo which compares the M29 to the M27, just to see the differences in size? More research is in order, I'm thinking, but the 29 sounds like it would work for me. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

9. 21Carrier

The G29 is not that much bigger than a G27, but it FEELS a good bit bigger. It's a little taller, a little longer, and a little wider. It's actually very close in size to a G19/23. The G29 is about the same length as a G19/23, but wider and shorter top to bottom.

10. Texcowboy

Texcowboy

I agree, or do as I did and get both!

11. up1911fan

up1911fan

I'm waiting for a Gen4 G20.

12. ScarPR

ScarPR

:wow::wow:

thanks for the interesting info

13. 21Carrier

No problem. I'm always hoping to get more people interested in 10mm. It's such an awesome and fun caliber. Everyone should at least shoot a 10mm. If they did, it would be MUCH more widespread.

14. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

15. barth

barth six barrels

I'd rent/borrow both models before buying.
    The 10mm is intriguing.
    But you're talking magnum force.
    In a sub compact that's a lot.
    For me G33/357 is the end of the envelope for controlled SD fire
    in a sub compact.
    I'd need to go G20 in 10mm.

But that's just me

16. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Any true Golck and 10mm lover has both the G20 and G29. :cool:

17. 21Carrier

The difference, to me, is deceptive. The G29 doesn't LOOK that much smaller, but it feels and carries MUCH smaller. It's really very similar to the G19, but a bit smaller.

It's not as bad as you'd think. The G33 is a smaller gun, with a MUCH lighter slide. That heavy G29 slide really soaks up recoil well, and the thicker grip helps as well. I'm sure full-power recoil is worse in the G29, but it's nowhere near a .357Magnum, which has been used for decades.

18. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

19. 21Carrier

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  20. xtremetj

xtremetj

I must quit reading these 10 mm threads.

I've been wanting a G29 for some time now but I told myself my next purchase was going to be a G33 to go with my G32.

After this thread I've decided to get a G29 and pick up a 357 Sig conversion barrel and have two guns :cool:

My son has G20 and it shoots so nice but I prefer the smaller G29 for CCW. Hopefully it's not to big to carry to the point it's uncomfortable. We'll see.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011