Which Gen

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by NU2GLOCK22, Oct 12, 2019.

1. NU2GLOCK22

NU2GLOCK22

Ok so I’m looking at getting my first Glock 19 is one Gen better than the other. I found two 19’s one for $400 and the other $450 both have Ameriglo sights. Any suggestions welcome. Thank you in advance. My current 9mm is a M&P FS Gen 1. Would like to see if I shoot the 19 better. The reason I say that is I’ve read and watched many videos of folks saying they shoot one better than the other. But I’ve also been told any competent shooter should be able to pick up any pistol and shoot it well.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    rfd339 likes this.
  2. norcalAF

norcalAF

If they are both unmolested, they will both go bang every time. Gen 3-4 the safety got bigger and the grip texture changed. The slide finish changed as well, not worse just different. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly for some more detail. Hold them both and see which you prefer. If it's only $50 more for a gen 4, I would go with that personally. If considering IWB carry against bare skin, the Gen 4 is a bit more aggressive though.

3. norcalAF

norcalAF

For the record I have gen 3 and gen 4 Glocks and shoot them about the same.

4. G19 fan

G19 fan

My first Glock was a 19.4. I consider myself an average shooter & I have had no issues. I like it so much, I recently added a 26.5. Both (now) have Ameriglo sights.
    I don't think you can go wrong with either.

NU2GLOCK22 likes this.
  5. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

The 19 in any Generation is a good solid pistol, so you really can't go wrong. If one has the finger grooves on the frontstrap, and the other one doesn't that's up to your personal taste. If it has changeable backstraps, it may be of some use if you have big or smallish hands.
    I have a Gen 2 and 4 in that model, and not sure which one I like best...like kids I guess.

rfd339, glock1097 and norcalAF like this.
  6. Redstate

Redstate

I have the G19 in Gen 3 and in Gen 4, I shoot each as well as the other. If your hands are smaller, the Gen4 will feel better in the hand. I have carried each one, and as mentioned above, if against bare skin, the Gen 4 can be slightly different feeling.

7. chev1958

chev1958

When I was shopping for Glocks 20 years ago, I didn't like the feel of the 19, so I bought a 17. I didn't even try the Gen 4 when it came out, but when the Gen 5 19 was released, I fell in love with it. Now, my 17 sits in the safe and gets taken to the range for nostalgic reasons.

8. David Guillory

David Guillory

I run a 17 gen2 and a 22 gen2. Gen 2 is my favorite. I prefer full grip. I’d consider gen 5 in a 19. Finger grooves on that frame push my hand into slight slide bite. I don’t like adding panels or beaver tales. And I damn sure can’t stand pinky extension floor plates. The 17/22 frame is just right. Even gen3’s work in that frame. Off topic but if you have a big hand, I’d find a gen 2 or go gen 5.

Anyone who can legally carry, should.

Lumber31 likes this.
  9. Bradley T

Bradley T

Get the 4th generation! Heck, get a 5. I have a 4th Gen and it works wonderfully. I also fired a 19-5 and it was even better than my 19x accuracy-wise, still the X looks cooler though.
    Never even tried the additional grip panels. Probably something to be gained by doing so; GLOCK is very practical, very pragmatic, as we all well know!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  10. bac1023

bac1023

Gen 3 is my favorite, but to each their own.

Distant Thunder, Lawdog3 and John_AZ like this.
  11. uofaengr

uofaengr

If it's your first Glock period, I highly recommend putting hands on it before buying if a pre-Gen 4 is one you're thinking about. I hate the way Gen 3's feel and probably wouldn't own any Glocks if Gen 4 never came out. Too slick and too blocky feeling for me. I wear size large gloves, but the extra 2mm off the backstrap in Gen 4 makes all the difference for me in liking the feel. The downside though being a lefty is the reduced distance to the trigger makes it more difficult for me to hit the mag release with my trigger finger like I would on a Gen 3 Glock or 1911 so I have to swap it to the other side. Not a big deal though.

12. squirrelsniper

squirrelsniper

I personally like both the Gen 3 and Gen 4. I have a Gen 5 and it is fine operationally, but I'm not a fan of the ambi slide stop and the dimensions of the pistol were changed just enough that it won't properly fit some of my holsters made for Gen 3s and 4s.

13. Bradd D

Bradd D

I had Gen 3's for many years. My two biggest complaints were the small mag release and the slick grip texture. Both of those things were remedied with the Gen 4. I now only own Gen 4's and 5's.

G19 fan likes this.
  14. NU2GLOCK22

NU2GLOCK22

No I had a Glock 22 Gen 4 at one time. I love the 40cal but the 9mm has closed the gap so much ballistically. It’s on par with the 40.

rfd339 likes this.
  15. tango44

tango44

Gen 5, simple as that!

16. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

I only buy Gen 4 Glocks. None of the other generations interest me. That's my choice, not my opinion. My opinion is whichever Glock 19 Gen you pick, I'm sure it will serve you well.

David Guillory, uofaengr and G19 fan like this.
  17. uofaengr

uofaengr

RIP this thread...

Quijibo and David Guillory like this.
  18. G19 fan

G19 fan

It was good while it lasted.

19. Bradd D

Bradd D

20. SmithModelOne

SmithModelOne

The M&P 1.0 is an excellent pistol; I shot one in competition for several years, and the only modification I ever did to it was the Apex trigger and sear. I'm normally not into aftermarket doodads, but the reset on the 1.0 was pretty terrible and the Apex sear cleaned it up wonderfully.

I'm not sure why you think you might shoot a Glock 19 better. It's an excellent gun and, as others have said, the different generations introduced variations that some people like and some people don't. But it's not "better" than the M&P; just different.

Generally, the best way to shoot better is to invest in training and practice. Perhaps your money would be better spent on those things? I hate to see people spend a lot of money on different guns, only to discover that the problem wasn't the gun but the person holding it.

Mike

NU2GLOCK22 likes this.