Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Old timer
16,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know... beaten to death elsewhere, but always an interesting discussion, if it can remain civil. So...

What gear would or do you ALWAYS wear?

PLEASE DON'T TURN THIS INTO: a thread about what your opinions of others choices to either wear or not wear the gear. Also, please don't turn it into a thread about whether or not the law should address helmets. I'm just curious what others wear - that's it!

I'll start:

I ALWAYS wear a lid. Sometimes it's a shorty when hot, but it is a DOT shorty at least. I wear the lid regardless of which state I am in or what the law says.

I also ALWAYS wear:

1) Boots
2) Heavy jeans or riding pants
3) Riding gloves (with fingers ;))

I DO NOT always wear a jacket... when it gets hot, I leave the jacket at home. Even the mesh one.

· Beam me up
236 Posts
Full helmet, full gloves, leather chaps, jacket w/ body armor built into it (slide pads), and boots. It doesn't get that hot in Anchorage so even if it is mid 70s it is still comfortable. I don't dress to ride, I dress to crash.

· Banned
12,485 Posts
Local commuting: Mesh jacket, gauntlet gloves & full face helmet.

Spirited rides: Leather A*'s RC-1, leather pants or jeans with icon field armor knee/shin guards, A*'s SMX-Plus boots, gauntlet gloves, helmet.

Ear plugs are mandatory for me.

· Banned
22,599 Posts
I ride dirt, so I might do it a little differently but the first rule is ATGATT - All The Gear All The Time.

then again, I've been accused of being a Gear Nazi too, but after many, many bails, I'm not interested in winding up in the hospital.

I'm pregnant right now, this is making me really nostalgic.

In order:

Helmet
Goggles
Jersey
Roost Guard
Elbows
Gloves
Riding pants
Knees
Boots

It's a lot of crap to strap on but the few times I've decided against a piece of gear, something happens. Like the time I spaced my elbows, I crashed out in a rocky area and tore up my elbow. Or the times I shine on the roost guard, I end up in the trees or bushes and get a stick in the chest.

I don't use ear plugs, but I do use an MP3 player at LOW volume (for the rare car, I ride in the most for the most part). Gotta have theme music when I ride.

In gear at a harescramble, talking to hubby during a break - the kitty ears are obviously optional. I ripped one off during a wild ride through some technical woods so I have to get new ones. The new ears for 2009 will be pink and white bunny ears. You have to have fun with this sport:

On a semi-related side note, I wear a lot of gear when I snowboard, most notably a helmet and wrist braces. I find as I get older, my pliability levels go down, and I don't bounce back from injuries as well as I used to. I twisted out a knee in June 2007 and it still hurts. I busted a wrist back in January and never had it looked at and it is still bugging me in September. The knee couldn't be helped, but the wrist could've been averted by wearing braces early on. Safety gear is a PITA, but it's necessary if you're an old fart into "extreme" :upeyes: sports like me...

· Registered
8,178 Posts
Nolan N102 flipup helmet.
Areostich Roadcrafter two piece riding suit.
Alpinestar leather boots.
A variety of gloves, summer to winter.
Gerbing electric jacket liner and gloves during Feb cold snap.

· Desk Jockey
469 Posts
AGV Ti-Tech Helmet
Icon Daytona Leather Jacket (or Fieldsheer Mesh if it's hot)
Dainese Hellracer Gloves
Sliders kevlar jeans (sometimes with Bohn Adventure armor pants underneath)
Sidi Doha boots

· Old timer
16,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SDforce;11363623 said:
AGV Ti-Tech Helmet
Icon Daytona Leather Jacket (or Fieldsheer Mesh if it's hot)
Dainese Hellracer Gloves
Sliders kevlar jeans (sometimes with Bohn Adventure armor pants underneath)
Sidi Doha boots
I've got a couple pairs of Draggin Jeans... how are the Sliders? The DJ are actually VERY comfortable, but always curious about alternatives.

PS - Just want to add - I have two jackets; a Cortech Coaster (with CE armor) that is over 4 years old and VERY comfy, and a First Gear mesh (forget the model).

· Desk Jockey
469 Posts
I got the relaxed fit Sliders. They are great. Very comfortable, with no noticeable weight increase due to the kevlar. I bought a pair of the cargo Sliders as well, but I would skip on those cuz they fit a bit tight in the crotch area (unless you like that lift and separate action).

I'm gonna look into the Draggin jeans as well. Right now I'm shopping for a good chest protector.

· Old timer
16,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SDforce;11364207 said:
...(unless you like that lift and separate action)...
:rofl:

Nope - not for me, thanks...

I may have to try the Sliders. The DJ are EXCEPTIONALLY nice and comfy (relaxed fit for me too), but can be pricey.

· Registered
289 Posts
I always wear a helmet (3/4 version), jeans, and boots. Here the summer heat gets to bad for a leather jacket, although I do wear a leather shirt when its cool. Never tried a mesh jacket, although I have a friend that says he is cooler when he wears his than when he does not.

· Registered
2,741 Posts
Atypical Harley rider here:

Flip up HJC Symax lid
Full gloves
leather boots
Heavy jeans
Joe Rocket armored mesh jacket for warm weather
Vanson Force leather jacket for cool weather
Vision reflective mesh over vest Vision Vest

· Twisted Sweeper
71 Posts
Track and twisty street riding: Joe Rocket Speedmaster pants, Alpinestars Leather gloves, Sidi Boots, Joe Rocket leather jacket, Arai Corsair Lid (sorry for the ugly mug)

Wet or cold weather I wear Fieldsheer Textile Highlander pants and jacket. Very warm and keeps me dry :)

· Registered
279 Posts
ATGATT
Full face helmet
Riding gloves
Riding boots
Leather or textile riding jacket
depending on the ride I will go from leather riding pants, or draggin jeans.

I dont care about the temp, I want to keep my skin!

· Mul-ti-pass
863 Posts
I wear My arai lid, ear plugs, A* mx1 suit, Sidi vertigo air boots, A* gp tech gloves and a Spidi airback back protector.
If I'm just heading out on the bike to the store then i may not wear the suit and just wear my mesh jacket but i wont be riding fast.
After wearing full gear, it feels really weird riding without it.

· Registered
128 Posts
ATGATT - All The Gear All The Time.
I like that saying. I ride on the street and pretty much live by that rule.

Hot Weather

• Shoei full face lid
  • joe rocket mesh jacket 99.9% of time
  • blue jeans
  • leather boots
  • mesh gloves with leather palms that go over jacket sleeves

Cool weather
  • Shoei full face lid
  • Fieldsheer light textile jacket (no liner)
  • jeans
  • leather boots
  • same gloves as above

Cold weather

• Shoei lid
  • Fieldsheer heavy textile jacket or Fieldsheer leather (with liner)
  • jeans
  • Fieldsheer 1000 denier carbolex textile overpants (with liner in xtreme cold)
  • boots
  • gore text gloves
  • under armor cold gear (only in extreme cold)

I pretty much ride to work every day so I find all the gear necessary though expensive. I've broken even by now and then some though through my gasoline savings so it doesn't bother me.

· Registered
128 Posts
After wearing full gear, it feels really weird riding without it.
Same here.

I dont care about the temp, I want to keep my skin!
Me too! A friend at work had to have skin graphs on his hands because when it was hot he bungied them on the rear seat. Not a mistake he's ever made since and I try to make it a habit to learn from others mistakes. I still seem to make my own though. "shrug"

· Registered
2,549 Posts
I always have on a helmet, FF is the only type I'll where (right now its an Arai RX-7 Hopkins Rep)
Always have on boots, gloves, and at least an armored text jacket. When I'm going to the track or the canyon, I'll have on a one piece A* race suit

1 - 20 of 29 Posts