Which flat panel tv should I buy? Pros/cons?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mhill, Apr 2, 2010.

1. mhill

mhill

Which flat panel tv should I buy? Pros/cons?

58" Samsung Widescreen Plasma 1080p HDTV #745135

$99 Shipping
    Model:pN58B540

Delivery: $1,498.00

LOW STOCK AT SELECTED CLUB
    Pick Up: $1,498.00
    Club #4741

Login for Lists
    60" AQUOS LCD 1080p 120Hz HDTV #992415

$99 shipping to home or business for online orders

Delivery: $1,697.00

LOW STOCK AT SELECTED CLUB
    Pick Up: $1,697.00
    Club #4741

Login for Lists
    60" LG Plasma 1080p 600Hz HDTV #399666

$99 shipping for online ordersModel: 60PK540

Delivery: $1,697.00

2. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

Is the location for the TV bright or dark?

Plasma screens are glass, thus very reflective, and may be hard to view in a brightly lit room, especially with the sun glare.

LCD has plastic screen, thus can be matte and easily seen in a sun-lit room.

Plasma also is not good for high altitudes since it uses gas that can buzz at high altitudes.

3. PlethoraGreen

PlethoraGreen

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  4. sputnik767

sputnik767

I will say that all of these TVs are good. Plasma will give you the best overall picture when compared to LCD because it has an extremely high static contrast ratio. This makes blacks look very deep black, not grayish like some cheap LCDs. The reflectiveness issue with plasmas may or may not be a problem, because glass can be treated to reduce reflections. Most likely, the glass is properly coated. The only issue with plasma is burn-in. If you watch something with black bars on the sides or top and bottom, or if there is a static logo that is displayed for a long time, it will burn in. My grandfather's plasma, if the screen displays a static white color, you will notice that the area where black bars normally show up are brighter white than the area where the picture normally shows. It does not affect overall TV viewing, but something to keep in mind. If buying an LCD, try to get a static contrast ratio value, and pick the highest one. But most manufacturers give you the useless dynamic ratio value. If you can't find a static value, pick the largest dynamic value, but keep in mind that the dynamic value is not necessarily representative of the static contrast ratio. So it may be better to just go with the one that looks better.

5. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

Plasma's have corrected the burn in problems and no longer have that issue.

The other things you said are correct though. The higher the contrast ratio, the better, and plasmas have issues with bright rooms because of the glass screen.

6. PlethoraGreen

PlethoraGreen

Another note about contrast ratio: While higher is always better, there is no standard of measurement. So the numbers really only relate to the same manufacturer/product line.

i.e. a Sony 1000000:1 contrast ratio is different from a Samsung 1000000:1 contrast ratio.

Something to keep in mind while comparing.

7. Iron bottom

Iron bottom

I looked at a lot of tvs. The plasma has the best looking picture. I have no problem with any of the things people are saying about plasma. It just isn't so. That Samsung 58" is the way to go in my opinion.

8. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

I've heard nothing but good about these tvs. It's what I'm getting as soon as the wife picks out a stand for it.

9. vart

vart

I live at 5000 ft in elevation and never heard anything aobut the plasmas making noise...

I just bought an Insignia 50" plasma 1080p from Best Buy for $899 and really do like it.

I was trying to get a similar Samsung or Panasonic but couldn't find any locally.

10. sputnik767

sputnik767

Not completely. Yes, most newer sets, including my grandfather's have built-in burn-in reduction systems, but the technology behind plasma is the same as always, and it is susceptible to burn. Yes, it may have been reduced, but not entirely eliminated.

11. nickh007

nickh007 NRA Member

Check out the Samsung LED HDTV. They will blow your mind. They give you a perfect picture and are not that much more expensive. You wont have to worry about any of the problems that come with the conventional LCD or plasma TV's. And they are only about 1.5 in. thick.

12. dakota359

dakota359

Are you going to mount it on the wall? If not take a serious look at the Samsung LED backlit DLP Slim line. The Picture smokes my Plasma and my LCD. Mine is in my basement With blu ray and everyone constantly say how they can't believe the picture. It isn't more than 6 inches thick so if you are putting it on a stand it does not matter anyway.Just make sure it is the LED model. If it is going on the wall go with the Panasonic Viera I have one of those also and the picture is great.

13. jbsimm2

jbsimm2

I have that same Samsung. actually it's the 560 not the 540, but it is one of the best tv's out there.

I play lots of video games and left one on pause for like 30 minutes no burn in

14. AWJGlock19

AWJGlock19

I know it is not one of the selections, but if you go plasma, I would look at the Panasonic Viera series. I love mine...just wish it was bigger!

15. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

I vote for the Samsung. I own a Samsung LCD and I also have a new Sony Z series. I prefer the Z series but it costs more.

16. *j-w-m*

*j-w-m*

I edit national and regional commercials for a living. The plasmas that I and many other post facilities use for client monitors, and pro equipment companies use to demo their products (i.e. to show them off in the best possible light) are Panasonic's proline products. These are about the same price or sometimes less than what you'll find in consumer stores, but they have better electronics and once you finetune the color and contrast settings, tend to drift less than consumer models (I've owned both). The only disadvantage is you have to add certain modules for connectivity, and they do not come with built in tuners or speakers, but the picture is phenomenal. Most people will use these with a separate tuner (DirecTV, etc.) and separate surround or stereo speaker setup. Here's a link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...50PD12UK_Panasonic_TH_50PD12UK_Plasma_TV.html

17. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

18. mhill

mhill

Its going in a basement. Im mounting it on the wall. I never play video games. I feel like I see pixelation on some lcds. Im not sure all lcds do this. The glass thin plasma seemed to look better.

19. OKgetdown

OKgetdown Dumb Ape

I like my Samsung quite a bit.:cool:

20. napp32

napp32

I've had the 58" Samsung Plasma for five months now. Mine is the PN58B650. It is essentially the same TV you listed with a few more bells and whistles (most of which I never use).

It's been a great TV, so far.

Be sure you inspect the screen very carefully when it is delivered. The larger the screen is, the easier it is to get stress cracks during movement. The first one that was delivered to me was covered with hairline cracks; but it only took two days to get a replacement which was undamaged.