Which firewall, Windows or Zonealarm ??

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ysr_racer, Mar 20, 2005.

1. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

How can I tell which one is being used? Which one should I use?

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

The XP SP! firewall isn't near enough protection.The SP2 firewall is better though.I use Zone Alarm.Make sure the Windows XP firewall is switched off.You should have Zone Alarm come on automatically at start up.Zone Alarm really offers much better protection.

3. nickg

nickg

if you don't have ANY firewall then the Windows version is better than nothing, but it's not going to protect as good as the ZoneAlarm.

i switched from ZoneAlarm to Kerio 4.x Personal Firewall myself.

4. python1340

python1340 Licensed to Ill

I quit using Zone Alarm when Windows XP SP2's firewall came out.

5. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

I did too...for a little while, until I remembered how many programs try to get on the net without you knowing. And those are the ones you know of :(

6. python1340

python1340 Licensed to Ill

Any program trying to get on the net, Windows Firewall will tell you about, no?

7. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Nope :) It does some...but misses more than it catches

8. Roger C

Roger C

Exactly. The Windows firewall, and Norton's, have lots of holes. ZoneAlarm is about as good as you can get for either free or a low price (the paid upgrade is a good deal).

9. VULTAR

VULTAR

I prefer using zone alarm, it is much better than the ms firewall. I might also suggest using mozilla instead on IE. IE has a bunch of security issues where as mozilla has fewer.

There are other issues you can address such as disabling scripting if you never use it which will also help to avoid some attacks.

I am no expert but, work in the industry. Our preference is the above for home pc's.

Hope this helps.

10. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

So if I use Zone Alarm can I still keep my xp firewall on?

11. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

It's not recomended.I've done it and it works but I turned off the Windows firewall as is recomended.

12. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/games/expert/durham_gamesp2.mspx A recent post at GameSpot pointed out that Windows Firewall is known to cause problems with a number of online multiplayer games, including such favorites as Age of Empires II, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and Unreal Tournament 2003. The GameSpot article makes nonspecific mention of a workaround and also notes that advanced users can turn Windows Firewall off.

But it's important to run some kind of firewall when you're on a PC connected to Internet. If you already have a third-party firewall like the free Zone Alarm, you should turn off Windows Firewall. You can turn Windows Firewall off by following these steps:

Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Windows Firewall.

Click the Off (not recommended) button, and then click OK.

Note: Windows XP SP2 contains a feature called Security Center that checks for the presence of a firewall. Turning off Windows Firewall may result in a warning from Security Center if it cannot detect the presence of a third-party firewall.

13. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

14. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

What happens if I use both?

What about under the "Exceptions" tab? Do I want any of that checked?

15. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I had Norton firewall before and it blocked too many things.I then switched on the Windows firewall so when I switched off the Norton firewall I would have some sort of firewall running.I now have Zone Alarm on my PC and leave the Windows firewall off so it doesn't cause conflict.I did a bit of firewall testing and Zone Alarm gave the best protection,I tested about six different firewalls.

16. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

I guess if you try to run both you end up not being able to connect to the internet or remove zonealarm and you have to restore from an earlier date :)

17. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

You shouldn't have to do a system restore.You can them off at any time.Zone Alarm is one of the best I've used.I can connect to the net with both on but some programs may not run correctly.

18. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

I was hosed. I couldn't connect to the net. I tired to see if the windows firewall was on, but when I went to the control panel, windows firewall, and selected it I got "Internet Connection Service" not running.

Then I tried to remove ZoneAlarm. Wouldn't do it. So I started in safe mode and then I could remove it. I was playing around on grc.com and hosed something u, but I'm OK now.

Oh yah, I put the system disk in but didn't know what I was doing so I pulled it.

19. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Windows XP firewall shouldn’t be used to take the place of a normal corporate firewall. Instead, it should be used as a supplement. M$ firewall is bare bones ... they could not include a "full-feature firewall" because people would start screaming that they are trying to "Monopolize the firewall market".

Windows XP's built-in firewall is adequate at stopping incoming attacks and hiding your ports from probes. What Windows XP's SP2's firewall does not do is protect you from any Trojans or Spyware that you might download and install inadvertently. It doesn't monitor out-going traffic at all (other than to check for IP-spoofing) much less block (or even ask you about) the bad or the questionable out-going signals. It assumes that any application you have on your hard drive is there because you want it there, and therefore has your permission to access the Internet.