Which firearm to take on a fishing trip?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by drider, Jan 21, 2010.

1. drider

drider

Hello all, i plan when the snow melts in California's National Forests to go on a fishing, back packing trip. I understand that there will be a lot of wildlife i hope that i encounter in a great way, and so here comes my question for you all. What do you suggest on carrying my first choice comes to mind is a .357mag 5 shot revolver, Glock 21, or my little G26? What do you all suggest, i think i may go with the Glock 21, because it may perform better in the wet cold environment compared to a steel .357mag 5 shot? Or i have my Glock26, help me out, Team Glock!

2. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

I would take the G26 with an extended magazine for sidearm use.

3. Forty-eight

Forty-eight

Of those you list, I would feel most confident using the Glock 21 against a wild animal such as a mountain lion or bear. My second choice would be the .357.

But if you want to take out the fish, go with the 26! LOL

4. Tow/Repo

Tow/Repo CLM

5. Hexx

Hexx

option A: 45-70 Alaskan Guide Rifle http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/marlin_1895G.jpg
    option B: Ruger 44 Mag with some high end loads
    option C: Both
    I own and shoot both. both are very accurate and both pack a HUGE punch.
    I also recommend the .444 cartridge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.444_Marlin
    I was born and raised in Alaska. and from that I took the know-what-when-how of when you need a firearm to defend yourself against a wild animal.
    And that wild animal will mostly be a Bear.
    Sure bears in cali are smaller...alot smaller than the bears in Alaska. but its still a bear and it will still eat you.
    just IMHO.
    Or you could take a glock....better then nothing

6. drider

drider

Thank you gentleman! Hey glad to see another californian chiming in, but even better to hear from a fellow Alaskan! What do you have to say about the weather conditions with my firearm of choice.

7. AK2AZ

AK2AZ It`s cold here.

Sounds like a cool trip...

My first question would be...what are the others with you packin? I would feel comfortable w/the G21 if others had guns but if it`s just you I`d go to the .357 w/fmj loads without question. Keep in mind that .357 is a great penetrating round and can handle anything in the lower 48. Added bonus is that a revolver is pretty failsafe. I carried a couple versions here before I switched to big bores and then to a G29. Temps won`t phase either handgun.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  8. drider

drider

You know what sir, if i had a 10mm G29 or G20 without a question that would be on me. On the other hand, the people in my group will have nothing but maybe an Swiss army knife, so I am the only one responsible for my welfare. With the .357 you think i may have corrosion issues since i may fall into a crossing stream or even when i'm crossing the stream it will get wet and i have no time to dry it up oil up etc? What is your experience with that in Alaska's outdoors?
    Next, i would love to take my G26 since i shoot best with it! But does it have much function for the wild mammals out in the Ca national forests?
    And lastly, the G21 i don't shoot well with it but i can guarantee i can hit a target 3-7 yards away.( I will bring bear spar)

9. jjtroutbum

jjtroutbum Armedflyfishing

Would think the most dangerous animal you are gonna have problems with traveling in a large group would have two legs take the 26 and keep it handy.

10. Jdog

Jdog

As an avid backpacker... I assure you the more lead you pack... the worse it will feel. I've backpacked with a G20 10mm (the same size as your G21) and it feels like a hundred pounds after a few miles in.
    Enjoy your trip without going all "tactical" and bring something small. If your .357 is small then I'd bring that because of it's awesome penetration.

11. AK2AZ

AK2AZ It`s cold here.

For corrosion prevention I always carried silicone cloths in a baggie. Wet won`t stop a revolver from running. Obviously, the wetter the environment, the quicker the wear without maintenance. I use Bullfrog products on all blued guns before, during, and after a trip and haven`t had any problems.

Take both...have someone carry the revolver or stick it in your pack for nighttime when the blackies/cougars prowl. :supergrin:

12. Spydermonkey

Spydermonkey in ur rearview

You could always pick up a conversion barrel to turn your G21 into a 10mm. I did and I use it for deer hunting.

13. AK2AZ

AK2AZ It`s cold here.

There you go.:supergrin:

14. drider

drider

Hmm, with all the responses i may have to bring two firearms, wheel gun in .357 and my trusted Glock 26, or just bring one? I wish my G26 would be a G29 for a weekend. If that was the case it would be settled.

15. Jdog

Jdog

helluvalot cheaper if you just borrow one for the weekend :)
    The other issue you'll have is how you're gonna wear it with your heavy pack waist strap... or if you'll just stuff it inside the pack. Here's what I finally settled on: http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=51

16. seamaster

seamaster

Can a 30 be converted to shoot 10mm? That would be cool!

TO answer the OP's question, I'm a fellow California outdoorsman and I can speak to every ounce feeling like a 100 lbs especially at higher altitudes and you know the temperature will range from near freezing to possibly into the 90's all in one day. The less weight you bring the happier you will be.

The j-frame 357mag is more powerfull but holds 5 rounds. Realistically the most dangerous thing out there is a bag guy or a bad guy and his buddies. 10+1 rounds is better than 5.

My suggestion would be for the 26. It's the lightest and holds the full 10+1 rounds that we are allowed to have here in Cali. Being the smallest and lightest it also has the most carry options. You probably don't need to carry a spare magazine. I probably would carry 1 spare mag but it's really just more dead weight.

Wear a whistle on a lanyard around your neck and blow it to scare the bear away that comes into your camp site. He's only looking for your food so keep it stowed in the cannister away from were you sleep, keep your campsite clean and you won't have any problems.

Travel light and have fun!

Seamaster

17. drider

drider

Nice, great to hear from more Californians on here i guess we are rare breed on this site other than Calguns. But on the serious note, thinking about it the Glock 26 may be the perfect candidate. For one the amount of ammunition capable of holding and i shoot best with it! Carry options is pretty critical, since i will be only going for a one nighter, i may just carry with a outdoorsy type fanny pack or an Bianchi pancake type OWB with safety strap.
    But i still have something behind me telling me to bring my .357, ah G26, whistle, and bear spray.

18. deadhawg

deadhawg

As others have said, if you're backpacking weight can be a major issue. it depends on how much ground you plan on covering though. If you plan on a 25 mile trip, I'd go for the .357 with heavy soft point bullets and enough ammo for a couple reloads.

If you're only going 2-3 miles from your car to a stream, I'd take the .357 and the G26 with a couple spare mags.

Realistically, you probably won't "need" either one though. I've hiked and backpacked in the Sierra's many times over the last 40 years and have never "needed" my gun yet. Won't keep me from carrying it though anyway, just in case!

19. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

If I was going out into the woods I would take the biggest reliable weapon and caliber you have.

20. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

Something that makes LARGE holes. You have bear AND big cats in that part of the country.