Which factor is more important?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by SouthernGal, Feb 9, 2010.

1. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

Saturday the new release of Body Pump came out. The class was packed, which is pretty normal for new releases, but I fully expect a lot of those present will "drop out" and not be present tonight or Thursday night.

The ab set was killer and I fully expected it to be. To make matters worse, with some 25 of us cramped in a room, there was no room to maneuver. At least once I had to look out for overhead bars on the side of the room when I did the overhead presses. 25 in that room is just too many IMO.

The new track for squats is a LOT longer than the ones previous. I'd say that this song is likely a full minute longer and there are a lot more "bottom halves" as well. I kept my weight the same as what I was doing in the old track but I couldn't do every single set (I missed one whole set).

My friend here at work is also in this class and noted the same thing...the longer squat (and lunge) tracks. So, it leads me to ask the question:

Is it more important to do the ENTIRE track, all sets, with lower weight than we were doing before on the old track, or is it better to do as many as possible at the higher weight and just not do all the sets if we can't stand it?

2. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I would lean towards doing the entire track with lighter weight.

If you're failing to complete all the sets with the higher weight, its appears to be a little too much. You can try to work back up to that weight later.

I feel with this type of class, you should be trying to finish all the sets, instead of missing a few.

Perhaps someone else has abetter advice. This is a tricky question.

3. Green_Manelishi

Green_Manelishi Knicker Knotter

Something strikes me as "inherently dangerous" in the BodyPump idea.
    Last thing anyone needs is a smack in the heid with a bar-bell.

4. SouthernGal

I made sure last night to get the hell away from the walls. The way the room is structured, they have those big "exercise balls" on top of some rails on either side of the room about 6' up. If you get too close to the wall, go to do an overhead press and catch that rail with your bar on the way up, you're going down.

5. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

I'd second what BCR said, SoGal. Complete the sets and time, and work up the weight over time.

6. SouthernGal

My coworker and I are prepared to do battle with the new track again tonight. :whistling: