Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mountain Man
6,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get an external USB hard drive in the 500GB to 1TB range to back up my home PC. Don't want to spend a lot of money, but don't want to throw away my money on trash either.

Which of these external USB hard drives should I get. The 500 GB Seagate looks pretty good.

Any recommendations? Better sites to purchase from?

Thanks!

·
Señor Member
4,413 Posts
I have a Vantec SATA-to-USB enclosure with a 500GB 3.5" HDD in it (forget the brand). This lets me change out the HDD if I want to upgrade to larger HDD or if this one fails.

It has no fan so it's very quiet, but some question the impact of the lack of cooling on reliability. Mine is three years old with nary a hiccup and I gave my daughter one a year before that that still is in service. Plus, the absence of "cooling channels" makes it extremely compact.

·
Registered
27,983 Posts
I have a Vantec SATA-to-USB enclosure with a 500GB 3.5" HDD in it (forget the brand). This lets me change out the HDD if I want to upgrade to larger HDD or if this one fails.

It has no fan so it's very quiet, but some question the impact of the lack of cooling on reliability. Mine is three years old with nary a hiccup and I gave my daughter one a year before that that still is in service. Plus, the absence of "cooling channels" makes it extremely compact.
+1... I have two of those exact enclosures(1 blue, 1 black), they look great, are quiet, and take all of about 5min to put a drive in. I'm not sure how hard it is to upgrade those USB drives w/ a new drive. On the link in the original post, the "cheapest" 500gig, was $108.

If you go here.... http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2795126&CatId=2459 $75(kinda funny, look at the "You save" thing in bold red..lol, I think someone fell asleep while editing the website)

and here.. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3672394&CatId=2780 $25

You'll spend a bit less, and have a drive that you know is upgradeable in the future if you decide.

·
GET A ROPE!
37,372 Posts
+1 on Vantex enclosures. :thumbsup:

Tried many, broke most of them. Vantecs are still operating just fine.

·
Registered
27,983 Posts
Make sure you get a 1TB.

I got at 500gb back in Feb and its full already.
Holy crap... I've got Tons of movies, music, etc.. and I've filled up approx. 200gigs of a 500gig drive. I just have two drives, because I backup 1 drive almost daily, and another drive gets backed up like 1x every two weeks...

IGF

·
The King
1,862 Posts
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/531

Consider one of these. Its a SATA drive docking station. It takes both full size and laptop size drives. Gives you lots of options. For instance. Use separate drives for backing up separate machines. When you retire an old box, pull out the drive and put it in the gun safe, if you want to recover something later, put in in the dock, 2 minutes and you're done. When you're upgrading a HDD having a dock saves you a lot of screwing and unscrewing typical enclosures.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I sell this stuff for a living. I can honestly tell you they're all about the same with a slight preference going to seagate. If you have a newer motherboard in your pc or laptop with an external ESATA port then go for the external ESATA drive instead as its much faster than USB or firewire

·
Banned
2,555 Posts

Consider one of these. Its a SATA drive docking station. It takes both full size and laptop size drives. Gives you lots of options. For instance. Use separate drives for backing up separate machines. When you retire an old box, pull out the drive and put it in the gun safe, if you want to recover something later, put in in the dock, 2 minutes and you're done. When you're upgrading a HDD having a dock saves you a lot of screwing and unscrewing typical enclosures.

+1, it's the only way to roll.

Lets you use internal HDs which are a lot cheaper than your typical external.

Lets you use server quality HDs, which are less problematic than regular ones.

Lets you use E-Sata connection (on some anyways), which is WAY faster than USB2 or Firewire.

·
Diver Down
185 Posts

Have you ever had any problems with the circuit board on an internal drive? With a until like this I am concerned about handling a drive with an exposed circuit board.

·
Señor Member
4,413 Posts

·
The King
1,862 Posts
Have you ever had any problems with the circuit board on an internal drive? With a until like this I am concerned about handling a drive with an exposed circuit board.
Not so far but I dont have static problems here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts