close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which dog breed??

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by AirMountainMan, Dec 9, 2004.

1. AirMountainMan

AirMountainMan

My son is asking for a gecko for christmas. I am not real excited about that but will consider it.

I was thinking he would be much happier with a mutt that would crawl up in bed with him.

What suggestions are there here for a small house dog. I would prefer non-shedding but, want to get everyones take on it.

Scott

2. G21FAN

G21FAN Useless loser Millennium Member

Cocker Spaniel, cute, wants to be center of attention, and cute!;f
    But make sure you get one from a good line from a reputable breeder.

3. 16vmkII

16vmkII Whipped

I believe schnauzer's (sp?) are a non-shedding breed.

4. beachside39

beachside39

Jack Russells are fun dogs too.

5. AirMountainMan

AirMountainMan

I want to have a good discussion on this. We all hear the pros and cons on dog breeds but, my experience is that talking with the people that actually have experience with the different breeds in their house will be very helpful.

Do schnauzer's bark much?

6. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

AMM
    Don't be too concerned about all the different breeds and characteristics of each, unless you are going to be working the dog (in whatever the dog was bred for) or showing the dog. I can tell you a dog is a dog is a dog. ALL of the behavior problems you hear associated with breeds are training issues not breed issues. Check the local rescues and shelters in your area. I guarantee you can find a quality dog there that will make an excellent pet for your son and family. Keep in mind whatever you choose, will need training and if I can help in any way let me know.

7. SmartOne

SmartOne GoingIn CoverMe

;Q There is no such thing as a, 'bad choice' in a dog - only bad owners. As for me, my constant companion is a 21#, dark red Dachshund. I just love this tough little guy. He was born adorable and (like his owner ;f) just seems to get cuter with age. He has lots and lots of really neat habits and mannerisms that only a dog that moves like a Slinky toy could do. He weighs less than my Waller gun bag; and I have to be careful where I store heavy stuff (like ammo boxes) around the house.

There has to be a whole lot more return on a dog than there is on a lizard – even one with his own parking space and a degree in actuarial science! The real question here is; ‘Would a new dog be truly welcome in your home; and are you ready for the trial and error training that comes with such a new arrival?’ A lizard isn’t, necessarily, a long term commitment; nor does it pose the possibility of annual veterinarian expense. After all, if a lizard goes down you can, simply, feed it to the cat. ;f (Which, also, represents less of a commitment than a more, ‘needy’ canine.) However, owning a dog requires a whole lot more dedication, responsibility, and expense.

Is your family, and particularly your son, genuinely prepared for this and ready to accept the responsibility? :cool:

8. AirMountainMan

AirMountainMan

G20man32904

I have a Brittany Spaniel and a Lab. That stay outside and I do work them. Both have required training.

We had a house dog before and the timing just wasn't right new puppy followed by new baby girl. My wife was not getting much sleep.

We had a non-registered shih-tzu that was and is a great dog. When my wife said she had enough. I told my mom that we were thinking about giving her to a sister-in-law. Mom, "bring her up and I will try her for a while". We will NEVER get that dog back...LOL. My mother is a widow and that dog is a little saint. I couldn't have planned it better myself.

My mother did not need to do any training etc.

Now we are ready for another and I know my boy is too.

Thank you, I will ask you for training advice and what not. I have trained a few dogs but, do not claim to be a pro by any means. I can and will continue to learn how to be a better handler.

SmartOne

I can not agree with you more. as stated above I have 2 dogs and am a real lover. Also along with the commitment comes a lot more satisfaction and companionship.

Scott

9. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

i wouldn't worry too much about the shedding issue...you can use it to teach him the responsibility in brushing and vaccuuming every single freaking day :)

secondly...get a dog from a pound or rescue. you'll be glad you did.

there are lots of great small breeds...i hear great things about chihuahuas (even though they are UGLY ;)), and my parents Sheltie is probably the best dog i've ever seen.

i don't know an overt amt. about small breeds since i've never gravitated towards them...but do a little research, look around and a pound or two, and make your son and an abandoned dog happy for years@!

10. ElevenO

ElevenO

Personally, I love german shepards but, unfortunately for you, they aren't small. My sister used to own a couple of cocker spaniels but their long hair and shedding got to be a problem after a while. My recommendation would be for something like a small beagle or a jack russell terrier.

11. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

we have 7 leopard geckos, a dog (plus several other creatures including fish, poison dart frogs, a bearded dragon, snakes and a rat) and the geckos are much easier to take care of AND less expensive than the dog. and when the geckos shed, they eat it. ;f

my sister and cousin both have jack russels. they are both rude. biting, obnoxious dogs AND they shed, just about as much as my rottweiler (which is a lot depending on the time of year). probably if either of them had some type of formal training, they would be that bad, but they don't. they are too high strung for my liking.

your local aspca/dog shelter or rescue is a great place to find good dogs that need loving homes. AND, don't buy one from a pet store.

the only thing i suggest about getting the dog, be prepared to be the one to take care of it. i'm not sure how old your son is but with my son, when he was 9, he wanted a hamster. so we agreed to buy him one with the understanding he'd take care of it. at first he was totally into the thing, but in about a month, he lost interest and the poor thing ended up dying within a couple months. when we got our dog, i was the one who wanted it, and the only way i was able to convince my husband to get him was that i would take care of him.. and i do, i feed him, take him to the vet, and take him to training.

good luck and make sure to let us know what you decide to get. :)

12. beemerphile

beemerphile CLM

I have a bichon frise that has been adorable. Looks like a small white poodle. Doesn't shed and has no dander for the allergic types. - Lee

13. Maxthemutt

Maxthemutt

Poodles don't shed.

14. AirMountainMan

AirMountainMan

Well my son continues to say the only thing he wants for christmas is that gecko. I am afraid that he will lose interest soon after.

I still would like to get him a dog. It is quite nice to have a good old pooch to snuggle up with. I had a dog growing up and they are good companions.

I fully understand that I will be caring for the dog of animal that we possibly end up with.

I looked at the shelter here in Salt Lake and there was 1 very old small dog and the rest were large breeds. I would be very happy with a heinz 57. I will keep looking. ;P I can believe people want $600-$1000 for some of these little dogs. ;P

15. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

have you checked out this site?

http://www.petfinder.org/

maybe you'll have luck finding a dog there. too bad you don't live in my area... the shelters are FULL of pups that need good homes.

16. elsolo

elsolo

17. hangmans joke

hangmans joke

two words HUAH HUAH!!!!!

me and my family have owned chihuahuas all my life, great small dogs , here a pic of my 8 year old baby. and they are not all ankle biters ,

here is china,

18. benji

benji

maybe you should get him the gecko. it sounds like you want the dog for you. i had a leopard gecko for a couple of years, then when i went to college and couldn't keep him in the dorm i gave him to a kid that loved him as well. i think he still has him as far as i know. they are cool little pets. i loved feeding pinky mice to mine and watching it attack them. i also had a rottweiler, he was my best friend, we lost him this summer to old age. i say get him the gecko and get yourself the dog.

19. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Benji beat me to it!! ;f ;a ;f

Sure sounds like the best route to a happy critter-filled home to me...and who knows? He may come to like the dog just as much as his gecko.

20. AirMountainMan

AirMountainMan

Yes I will have to admit is I would rather see a dog around the house. It is hard for me to justify spending $100 on a lizard (gage and gear).

My person thinks that he would get a lot more enjoyment out of a pet that he can snuggle up to.

I cannot argue with benji on the fact that he is the one asking for a lizard.

Thanks for the input, I will let you all know what we decide and how everything turns out.

Scott