Which Digital?

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by bill rayburn, Sep 22, 2005.

1. bill rayburn

bill rayburn

I know most of you spend lots more than I'm willing to spend, until I become comfortable with digitals but here goes. I would like to have a small digital camera with zoom, day and date, and I would like to spend $400.00 or less what would you reccomend ?
    Bill

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

You have so many choices, it's scary. What kind of photographs do you want to take? What do you expect of the camera? What kind of controls do you want?

3. bill rayburn

bill rayburn

I plan to use the small digital as a backup to my Canon 35mm if I like the digital I'll go from there.
    I plan to use it for vacation pictures in Maui, Alaska, Action shooting sports, some of my mountain biking adventures etc. I would appreciate any advice possible.
    Bill

4. djcerna

djcerna 1 Inch Member

Try the Minolta Dimage z5. Great camera 5.MP lots of features. My father-in-law just got one for the new baby and it works like a dream. However it is not a SLR style camera.

5. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

For a backup you need something pocketable (or at least something you can carry in a holster-style pouch on your belt without a problem). I would recommend you look at the new Canon A620. It's available from www.bhphotovideo.com. Reasonably priced, too.

BTW, sorry for the delay. I'm traveling, and my access to the Internet is limited.

6. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

You said that you want a "small" digital camera. How small???

A few weeks ago, I was shopping for a VERY SMALL (shirt pocket sized) camera with nice quality macro capability and easy to use. To make a long story short, I bought a Nikon Coolpix S2 for ~$350 from BestBuy. I'm pleased with it, so far.

7. Glkster19

Glkster19

I just picked up an Olympus D595 recently. So far, I'm real happy with the pics it's taken. Pretty simple to operate and fits in a pocket.

8. G-2

G-2

Another vote for the Olympus Point and Shoot camera's. I've owned 'em and the glass is outstanding.

Good luck