Glock Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Trophy Husband
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase our fourth computer for my office. My last purchase was a tower style Optiplex that I have been very happy with. We run a program that installs on one computer and the other computers share from (so it acts as a server to the other PCs in the office). I generally install this program on the newest office computer, assuming that it will be the most reliable/fastest. So I plan on installing this program on the new computer. The program requires that the computer have a floppy drive and an old style printer port (because the program uses a sentinel key to ensure that you are running a legal copy of the program).

For optimum performance they reccommend XP Pro/2GB RAM/dual XEON or fastest available processors.

I currently back up the program nightly on cd. In the future I may not be able to back up all the data on one cd so I think I should consider a DVD RW.

I know some sales reps for dell post here so I look forward to any suggestions. I would like to keep the system around $1000 including a 17" LCD

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

SWINGER

·
Trophy Husband
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't really know of any bottlenecks with my current system (one year old mid level optiplex). I think you may be right that the manufacturer specs are much higher than necessary.

Current system is doing a fine job, we just have a need for an additional computer. I have always moved our database program to the newest computer hoping for greater reliability and less likelyhood of a hard drive failure. I usually use the computer that acts as our server and really never can tell that is is providing information to all of the other computers. Since I actually am able to use the computer all day that is why I like the LCD.

After my first post I priced out a system just about exactly like you did and realized that I was goiing to have to increase my budget some.

Thanks HAVOC,

SWINGER

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.