close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which Dell Optiplex should I buy?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by S.Winger, Jun 24, 2006.

1. S.Winger

S.Winger Trophy Husband

I am looking to purchase our fourth computer for my office. My last purchase was a tower style Optiplex that I have been very happy with. We run a program that installs on one computer and the other computers share from (so it acts as a server to the other PCs in the office). I generally install this program on the newest office computer, assuming that it will be the most reliable/fastest. So I plan on installing this program on the new computer. The program requires that the computer have a floppy drive and an old style printer port (because the program uses a sentinel key to ensure that you are running a legal copy of the program).

For optimum performance they reccommend XP Pro/2GB RAM/dual XEON or fastest available processors.

I currently back up the program nightly on cd. In the future I may not be able to back up all the data on one cd so I think I should consider a DVD RW.

I know some sales reps for dell post here so I look forward to any suggestions. I would like to keep the system around $1000 including a 17" LCD

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

SWINGER

2. ackvil

ackvil CLM

You may want to consider an external hard drive. Maxtor as well as some others make them and they are no that expensive. Otherwise, you may want to use a USB flash drive. ;)

3. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

Where are the bottlenecks in what this application does? Is it just basically storage where the only limitation is hard drive speed? Are you serving up big databases so it needs all that RAM, a smokin' CPU and a big drive? Since you do backups to a CD, I'm guessing you're data set isn't all that big. We have a piece of accounting software with high end specs, including SCSI drives. What a bunch of malarky. I think they are getting kickbacks from the hardware manufacturers or something. No way this thing needs a God-box. You may be in the same sort of situation.

Is the current "server" not managing the job any more? Are you going to rotate it into the field as a workstation? If the current box is getting the job done, why go through the time of reinstalling the software on a new box? Just buy a new workstation. If this is a server, doesn't it just sit in a corner and look pretty? Why the 17" LCD?

Anyway... we've been getting quite a few of the GX620s in lately, in mini-tower and small form factors. Haven't noticed any glaring weaknesses in them. Unless you look for a sale, the LCD is pretty much gonna bust your budget if you want to stick to 2gigs of Ram and a dual-core CPU.

Right now just from the website you can get into a 520 with 2GB, dual-core 3GHz CPU, FDD DVD-RW and budget LCD for about $1200.

4. S.Winger

S.Winger Trophy Husband

I don't really know of any bottlenecks with my current system (one year old mid level optiplex). I think you may be right that the manufacturer specs are much higher than necessary.

Current system is doing a fine job, we just have a need for an additional computer. I have always moved our database program to the newest computer hoping for greater reliability and less likelyhood of a hard drive failure. I usually use the computer that acts as our server and really never can tell that is is providing information to all of the other computers. Since I actually am able to use the computer all day that is why I like the LCD.

After my first post I priced out a system just about exactly like you did and realized that I was goiing to have to increase my budget some.

Thanks HAVOC,

SWINGER

5. Altaris

Altaris

Havoc, like normal, is right.

I sent you a PM S.Winger