close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which Dawson magwell for G34?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by sig123, Apr 9, 2012.

1. sig123

sig123

I'm looking to add a Dawson magwell to my G34 for range work. I see there are different models and weights. Which do you all recommend and why? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. sig123

sig123

Anyone have suggestions on which weight to get? I see regular, heavy and super heavy. Why does the heavy cost more than the super heavy?

3. Shadyscott69

Shadyscott69

The super heavy is brass IIRC. I had the regular Ice and now have the Ice Heavy on my limited gun and I really like the heavy one.
    The heavy ones really change the recoil impulse. It is adding static weight as opposed to some of the other snake oils that are supposed to help with splits.

4. Clay1

Clay1

Are you buying it because you just want one or are you buying it because you want to shoot in a particular type of action shooting? Make sure which ever one you decide upon fits in your division legally.

I have one on one of my G34s that I use to shoot in Limited. Bluntly I reloaded just as fast without it on there, but many find that it helps hand positioning. Just don't think that it will make your reload time much faster.

Good luck.

5. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Reloads are one reason why people use them. Read Scott's post for the other. Adding weight to the gun helps reduce the recoil impulse.

Many people in Limited division are running an all steel STI or something. Plastic Glocks *are* at a slight disadvantage just from a weight perspective. The heavier the gun, the less recoil affects it. Obviously you can go too far with weight, but plastic Glocks? Yeah, can definitely be helped with the addition of a magwell.

6. sig123

sig123

Thanks guys. It's mostly for range work and not a lot of competition. I suppose it's not absolutely necessary for me but you know how it is when you get the bug to modify;-). I see that the brass ones are not legal for IDPA so I suppose it boils down to whether I will shoot IDPA or not. Obviously, more weight helps with the recoil. Are the brass completely illegal for competition?

7. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Heavy ICE all the way. As long as your gun is Gen3... I haven't found any heavy ones for the Gen4 guns yet that allow use of the MBS... :crying:

8. ronin.45

ronin.45

I like the super heavy wells.

9. Shadyscott69

Shadyscott69

The are legal in uspsa limited. Some of them are legal in IDPA in ESP.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. PVolk

PVolk

Is the only benefit of the ICE version the fact that is has a replaceable lower plate? Just making sure that's the only difference for the extra $20. I don't think I'd mind of the bottom got a little scratched or banged up over time.

11. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

Put a Heavy Ice on my G34 open gun. More for the weight than an aid to mag changes. If a mag change is called for I start w/a 17 rounder then go to the big stack. I've never found the long mags to be fast changers.

AND I

Don't like dropping the long sticks on the ground.