close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which compact glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by superlarry, Sep 3, 2002.

1. superlarry

superlarry

hi guys

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have the full size g22 but i haven't shot with any of the compact models.
    My father is looking something small, light and concealable - being a glock fan I naturally suggested the g36. If I'm not mistaken - thats the baby .45 and the slide is also narrower.

The problem is as a result of a car accident my dad's right hand and wrist is not up to 100% strength so I'm thinking that controlling recoil may be a problem.

Possible solutions:
    -Shooting with the weak hand (might have the same problem with recoil)
    - .40 S&W - I have faith in the round but still the recoil problem.
    - 9mm - I'm reluctant because the scumbags here in RSA are tough SOBs.

How much difference do the ports in the g36 C models make to muzzle lift?

Thanks

Superlarry

2. shootingbuff

shootingbuff Millennium Member

Only one gun for wewak wrist - 26

The round "will" if it is put in the right spot. No round will if it is not.

A 26 is a dream to shoot. There is also the 19 and 17 depending on your fathers needs.

Don't think down about a, 9x19 there is no need.

sb

3. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Unless it's done aftermarket, there is no such thing as a "c" modeled G36.

4. Screaming .357G

Screaming .357G 598ci big block

will a push of a .45 more of a backwards motion(G36) or a muzzle flip of say a (G33) .357 sig hurt his wrist more?
    The .40 and .357 feel pretty close as far as recoil goes but I trust the .357sig round more so than a .40
    It may depend on where his wrist is hurt at.

He may even want to learn with his weak hand if his other hand really bothers him.

5. Polite Muzzel

Polite Muzzel

I went with the G26 due to it's lower recoil than the other compacts, however you need to shoot each one to see what feels right.

Polite

6. denfoote

denfoote MENACE

My "gang punk" medicne is the Glock 36 .45ACP!! Big holes make vacant souls!!! ;F

7. MStarmer

MStarmer In Jail...

How does he handle the recoil of your G22? If he handles that okay I would suggest a G19. Fairly small, fairly light but enough to hang onto. Soft shooter. Or maybe a G26 with a Pearce grip extension. I love my Glock 27 but if I had weak wrists I'd go with a 9mm in a heartbeat. Anything stuffed with decent ammo will be good enough. There are no magic handgun bullets, they all suck in comparison to a rifle or shotgun. I agree with Shootingbuff that shot placement is key. .22 thru .45, I wouldn't want to get shot with any of them...

8. superlarry

superlarry

Thanks for the thoughts

He shoots ok with my g22 but still not as comfortably as he'd like.

Looks like the 9mm will be the best option

superlarry

9. docglock

docglock Member

I own a Glock 36. I love it, but it requires a very firm grip and stiff wrist. The recoil is quite snappy. I had problems initially with it flipping brass all over the place (including at my head)until I tightened the grip. Not recommended for your Dad.

10. Traintrackker

Traintrackker

I don't think the 9mm is that bad. If it were, I doubt it would have survived as long as it has. I'd give either the model 19 or a 26 a good look. If 'control' and pain are the main issues, I'd go with the model 19. You'll have more weapon there (in terms of mass) to handle any recoil, especially if your father has to shoot the gun weak handed. I'd stick with the standard velocity stuff, either Federal 9BP or 124 grain Nyclad. Both rounds, though standard velocity, have good track records. All in all, I don't think you would go wrong with the 9mm. Good luck...traintrackker

11. TampaGlock

TampaGlock

I think the G26 is one of the easiest to shoot. Despite being the smallest glock, the dual spring helps tame any recoil. It is much easier to handle than the G36 which I also have.

12. tampa_dave

tampa_dave

are you restricted in terms of what sort of ammunition you can buy? 9mm fmj is a hit or miss sorta thing. i would favor .45 in that situation.

i have a g27, and i don't have to choke it to death to make it work. i grip harder with my left hand than my right (i'm right handed). probably about 60-40. he should try a g36 and see how it works for him.

13. redskyzatknight

redskyzatknight Glock S&W Kahr

27- as small as they get and 9-10 rds. of 155gr.

14. TenMil

TenMil Cottonwood Tree

I went with the 26 for the exact same reasons as have been suggested...
    Recoil.
    I am by no means sensative to handgun recoil whatsoever... My main carry gun is a Glock 20 10MM, which is quite a kicker. But when I want to carry a compact, I go Glock 26. I do have unusually large palms (If it gives you any idea, I can hold a large frame Glock at the "ready" position, and wrap my trigger finger up to the second joint around the trigger guard)

Shooting the micro Glocks can be a tough task for someone with large hands. I can barely get my ring finger on the grip.
    So, the lower recoil impulse of the 9 was the ticket.
    I can shoot it with ease, and place 10 rounds on 10 different heads in the blink of an eye.

As far as the 9's performance, that's one of the typical debates you will find on a gun board. With FMJ ammo, it's a bozo... But with a good +P or +P+ JHP, it kills 'em deader than an Al-Quaeda member staring at an Apache helicopter.

Whatever you get, just make sure to get Night Sights.
    Best damn development in handgunnery since who knows when, if ya ask this kid.