close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which caliber Subcompact Glock has the greatest recoil?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Rich, May 9, 2004.

1. Rich

Rich

Hi -

I'd like to know if someone could list, in order from greatest on down, the wildest to the most tame Glock subcompact.
    Thanks;f

2. fiberpig

fiberpig

I know my 27 has quite a bit....26 I had was much smoother...don't know about the others...

3. neeko

neeko

The 357 SIG has the most pressure (right?) so I assume that equates to higher recoil.

4. Dandapani

Dandapani

Huh? Try a 33 :) I shoot 27 barrel in my 33 and it's a peach in comparison :)

5. waktasz

waktasz Gamer Scumbag

I'd imagine the 29, although I havn't shot any of them but the 26.

6. Doog

Doog REVOLUTION

The G33 has the most recoil, more than the G29, and quite a bit more than the G27

7. tinagrrl

tinagrrl

I have a G26 and a G27. Also have a KKM barrel in 357Sig for the 27.

The 26 has the least.

G27 in .40 has more -- I thought it was fairly stout recoil -- THEN I shot the 357.

The 357 has, by far, the most of the three.

I've also put some rounds through a friends G36 -- again, the 357Sig has more felt recoil. In fact, it makes the .40 feel tame.

tinagrrl

8. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

The dual spring setup on the subcompacts really helps with the recoil. From a lot of the reports the G36 with hot defense ammo seems to have the most snap to it. I imagine the 29 with some of Double Taps hot stuff would be a handful as well.

These are both quite a bit larger than the 26/27/33. I have shot a 27 and it didnt seem to have any more recoil than my 17.

9. carguy1440

carguy1440

I can't imagine one could be worse than my 29 with hot loaded 180gr golden sabres. I damn near comes out of my hand.

10. tinagrrl

tinagrrl

This may or may not be exactly on topic -- but -- I went to the range today. Shot my G17, G26, G27, and G27 with the kkm 357 sig barrel. Used the exact same ammo I used last time. From the same box. Today the FELT recoil from the 357 was MUCH less than I remembered.

Is it a matter of getting accustomed to the type of recoil? By that I mean, the 357 has a sharp smack, while the 40 is more of a push.

Has anyone noticed that the order in which you shoot your different guns might affect the FELT recoil?

I usually begin with a couple of mags of 40, followed by some 9mm. Today it was 20 rounds of 9mm from the 17, 27 of 40 from the 27, 50 of 9mm from the 26, then about 70 rounds of 357. I then did some 9mm and some more 40.

For whatever reason, the 357 felt very easy to control, with a good recovery time.

Anyway, the point is -- does the order you shoot different calibers in affect felt recoil?

Or, when learning a new gun, do you ever go back to (let's say) a 9mm, or something you feel very comfortable with, to bolster your confidence?

tinagrrl

11. bdc

bdc Former Member

Equal and opposite reactions.

Recoil is proportional to momentum: mass X velocity of the projectile.

Perceived recoil is momentum relative to the guns weight. There are a couple variables in the gun weight: The weight of the slide and the recoil spring weight, which mean the recoil is spread out over a longer time. Variance in the width of the pistol grip will spread the load over your hand as well, altering your perception of recoil.

You can't say which gun will recoil more untill all variables of the actual load are known.

45Super in a G30 will top most loads in a G29, but the hottest loads in a G27 may feel more ferocious.

12. Pred8tory

Pred8tory Retired Copper Lifetime Member

The 33 actually has more muzzle blast than actual felt recoil. The 27 with some of light/highspeed loads kicks pretty hard. Stick with 180gr loads for more controllability. I think the 36 is a real handful and didn't enjoy shooting it.

13. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Yes - have had them all and the G33 is a handful - but if you are serious about CCW and SD - it is the one! My summer CCW.

14. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

True, and yes, that was also my experience with the G36. I found it painful to shoot and I eventually sold it to someone who loves it and carries it 7/24.

15. gary newport

gary newport

That would not have been WalterGA, would it? :)

By the way, I prefer the picture (avatar?) you used to use; it was much less scary! ;)

16. BillK@tcmhmrs.o

BillK@tcmhmrs.o

I've been shooting a G36 with 230gr FMJ, seems a bit stout but nowhere near the beating I experienced with a S&W Sigma 40 VE. I couldn't shoot for beans with that gun - lousy trigger and didn't group well as I could never figure out when it would go bang- the trigger pull was so long. I shoot lots of (1911)45's, Blackhawk convertible, Colt commander and now the G36. The low axis of the G36 slide to grip seems to soak up a lot of the recoil, along with the tilting barrel action. I have a Marlin Camp Carbine in 45 ACP as well -it is surprising that there is some pretty good recoil with the long gun in 45 ACP. The Glock is not unpleasant in 45 ACP, but definitely more than my friends G26 and about like the G27. The G27 doesn't give much grip, and my friend had it stoked with some hot ammo.