Which bullet do I have?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Cineski, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Cineski

Cineski

Can someone tell me what kind of bullet is on the end of each of these? The one on the left is Double Tap 180 grain Gold Dot, the one on the right is Reed's 180 grain Gold Dot. Both look completely different. I've never had 180 grain Gold Dots before so I can't tell myself. This is amid the boutique manufacturers switching bullets crud that's going on lately. Had it happen with DoubleTap, but figured the 180 grain Gold Dots were correct from them until I got an order from Reed's of the same thing. Here's two pictures. The left cartridge is Double Tap 180 grain Gold Dot, the right is Reed's version.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Defintely different, but it might be as simple as an old and new version of the same bullet. Bullet makers do that from time-to-time just to mess with us shooters, I think. :supergrin:

As a handloader, I'd also say that it looks like those two loads may have been assembled with different bullet seating punches in the seating dies. The left one looks like they used a flat-nose wadcutter or semi-wadcutter seating punch, and the right one appears to be rounded, as if a round-nose seater was used.

3. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

It looks to me like the Reed's version was crushed a little. I had the same experience with the Fiocchi Extrema line using Hornady XTP bullets.

4. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I can not see the picture but are the hollow points different?
    Could one be a regular and one for short barrel guns?

5. Brent10mm

Brent10mm

they smashed the bullet on the right in the seating process, I've done that a few times myself... its a gold dot.

I'd expect better from a factory load..... but it happens.