Which BUIS for Sig 556?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Kozel, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Kozel

Kozel

I bought Sig 556 Commando and it does not have rear iron site. I did not get any manuals with it. What site do I need to buy? I looked around, there are all kinds of BUIS sites for sale but which one of them is for Sig 556 and which one is good and reasonably priced?

Also. How do gas tube and hand guards come off? I figured out the rest of the basic break down but not that part.

2. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

You'll need an AR height front sight as well as a rear. Unless you have a quad rail, you'll be wanting a Samson front and :insert favorite AR folding rear sight here:. I prefer Troy myself.

The handguards come off. Just remove them bottom first after removing the front pivot pin. After than you can twist off the gas tube by pushing in on the small shiny pin that is in the knotch.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010

3. smokin762

smokin762

Oh the pain. I have been down this road myself.

You would be so much better off just buying the rear sight from Sig or on Gun Broker. If you go with a different rear sight as said, you will need to buy a front sight that is made for the Sig 556 but matches up with an AR detachable rear sight.

I ended up with more rear sights that wouldn’t work with the factory Sig 556 front sight than you would believe. Trial and error got expensive.:faint:

http://www.sigsauer.com/SigStore/ShowProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=104&productid=301

4. Kozel

Kozel

My front site looks like this:

[​IMG]

What do I need to match it in the back?

5. smokin762

smokin762

Do you have the flip up front sight?

If you do then I believe the HK 416 detachable rear sight will work with it. You just have to make sure you get the sight that is made for the 16" barrel.

6. Kozel

Kozel

Yes. it is just a single blade without "wings" from the sides and it can be folded down and up.

7. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Follow my advice above, then. The Samson front sight for the Sig 556 installs in about 2 minutes and can be adjusted for height with an AR front sight tool. It's well worth it. Then, just buy whatever AR rear you want.

8. Kozel

Kozel

9. turbobrick

turbobrick

Get the Midwest Industries Sig 556 front sight, then pick any rear for the ARs (might as well get the MI SPLP, great sights).

10. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

That second one won't work. It's for the 556 that comes with the hooded front sight installed, which is another issue all together.

You only need one from Samson (as far as front sight). There is only one that will work on a Sig 556 without a full length rail. It comes in two varieties. One is AR style and the other is HK style. I'm a fan of the HK style. The rear sight can be from whomever you choose.

Midwest Industries does make a Sig 556 sight now. It's slightly cheaper than the Samson. I have a pair of Midwest Irons on my STG-E4 and think they're okay. I like my Troys and Samson better though.

11. cciman

cciman

You have a pic rail. for iron sights, a $39 UTG adjustable rear BUIS sight will work fine.

A sight is not magical, its just aligning 3 points. There is no reason for a sight to cost so much.

Go to the range and zero it in. You have to do it anyways with any sight you buy.

12. smokin762

smokin762

I would change the front sight since it is the flip up sight. You can buy either a Sampson or a Midwest front sight to match up with an AR rear sight. On the other hand, you can buy the sights that were designed for the rifle from Sig.

I myself wanted something different. I did not want to turn my Sig 556 into an M4gery. If I wanted an M4, I would have bought one of those. I ended up selling my Sig 556 because I wanted it to be close as possible to a Sig 551 as I could get it. It did have its limitations how it looked and I was never completely happy with it.

If you want to keep it closer to a Sig 551 rather than a M4 then I would get the Sampson front sight for it and a Centurion C4 Diopter rear sight.

I bought my rear sight here.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop%2Fmanufacturer&manufacturer=93

I used to buy parts from this guy to make the 556 look more like a 551.

https://www.cogunsales.com/index.ph...=1&orderby=product_name&limit=30&limitstart=0

13. smokin762

smokin762

I know how you feel. I have been there too while trying to keep it looking like a Sig rifle.:wavey:

14. Kozel

Kozel

Maybe I should just buy A2 rear site and take a Dremmel to my front site until it matches the rear one! Darn! After spending MUCHO dinero on the rifle o have to spend at least $200+ on sites?

15. smokin762

smokin762

Do not use a Dremel to your existing front sight. It is already too short to use with an AR rear sights to begin with. That is why you need a Samson or Midwest front sight.

Just remember one thing. The Sig factory sights will not allow you to co-witness with a Red Dot. They are to low for that. If you decide to go with AR style sights than you will be able to co-witness with a Red Dot if that is important to you.

I just felt the check weld on the 556 with AR style sights sucked. It rather reminds me of putting a scope on an A2 carry handle. You know how you have to extend your neck to see through the scope. Well it’s kind of like that but maybe not quite as bad but close enough.:upeyes:

16. tacticaldawg

tacticaldawg

I would also recommend Samson sight if you want to use an AR backup sight, but in reality, it's somewhat high. The use of Sig proprietary height front and back feels more natural.

17. bondmid003

bondmid003

I'm actually going to go with a set from Aurora, but they are expensive and hard to come by