Which Brass To Use

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by F106 Fan, Apr 23, 2012.

1. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Yesterday I kicked off a thread on loading the .308 175 gr HPBT Match. Today I want to ask about which brass to use.

I have some Federal Match cases (nickel plated) that have been reloaded several times and always fired in the SSG I am loading for. They are clearly 'fire formed' at this point.

I also have some once-fired Lapua cases which were also fired in the SSG.

Then I have some brand new Lapua cases.

I will probably only neck size the fired cases and I suspect I would just load the new cases the way they come (yes, I'll check the neck size).

I don't plan to turn the necks, I probably don't even have to trim to length (I check a few yesterday and they gauged fine). So I was just planning to clean up the primer pocket and reload the cases as they are.

Question: Which of the 3 choices for cases are likely to produce the best results.

Perhaps in the next evolution I will get into pedantic case preparation but I don't have the tooling at this point.

Richard

2. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

Richard,

I don't have any experience with Lapua brass.
    I have plenty of experience with Federal brass.

The only suggestion would be to watch for the primer pocket(s) opening some, but, I've gotten some REALLY accurate loads with Federal.

:thumbsup:

Keep an eye on the primer pockets, work-hardening of the brass. . . . and let 'er go!!

Keith

3. glockaviator

glockaviator

You want consistency. Weigh each case. Lapua brass is known for the least variance. It is good brass. If you want, sort the brass by weight. The reasoning is, lighter brass will have more volume. You want your brass to have all the same volume. All of those brass will work well though.

[​IMG]

4. ColoCG

ColoCG

I would think your once fired Lapua since it is already fire formed to your chamber and is high quality would be the most accurate. But who knows I have also had good luck and accuracy with Federal. I agree to get top accuracy you probably should weigh them, and sort. But who knows, you tell us which you find to be most accurate.:dunno: