GlockTalk Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
While I have not checked rim thickness, plenty of people who compete in competitions do check. They have more consistent accuracy with their premium ammo with the rims all having the same thickness.

Since I'm not a competitor, I don't bother trying to squeeze every last bit of accuracy out of my rifle.

·
Registered
864 Posts
CZ 452 American when they first came out. For a 16" barreled gun it's way more accurate than it should be, I've never taken picture of the targets but need to start.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Does anyone check rim thickness, flat point bullets, or resize bullets to .223/.224? If so what have been your results? I've checked rim thickness and believe there may be something to it but need to investigate it more.
Depends who you ask. Certain people will say it only makes a difference for inexpensive ammo or doesn't make a difference for any. You'll get the "expensive ammo doesn't need sorting" or "you only need to sort if your trying for tight groups."

I sorted a bunch of RWS and found rounds measuring as thin as .037 and as thick as .046. A vast majority were .038, .039 and .040. I used the outliers to foul the barrel and proceeded to shoot tight groups with no fliers using the 38/39/40's.

So I have to ask myself. "would I need to sort if I were using $22/50 ammo versus $8.99/50?" Maybe not but I'm not dropping $22 for a box of 50. I'd rather shoot 2X as many rounds with lesser accuracy.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
The OP didn't really say what the rifle was to be used for; target, hunting, plinking, or all of the above.

My only bolt action .22 is a Ruger All Weather 77/22. It is WAY overengineered for .22 and it's hell for stout. I don't think it's the best for a target gun although I have occasionally shot nickel size groups with it a 25 yards. The trigger is pretty clean but heavy.

It's a good all-around .22 bolt action, I think. I like that it uses the Ruger rotary magazine.

I really would like to try one of the Ruger American Rimfires. The Marksman trigger and block bedding system intrigue me.

You did not mention the ammo your have tried or your scope . Rugers mkii 22lr trigger are not very good and barrels can be subject depending on age but you can improve that with a Rifle Basic trigger - https://riflebasix.com/product/ruger-m77-rimfire-trigger-ru-r/

Then if you have enough scope and small point to aim at , say red 1/4" circle you should be able to do better than nickel size groups at 25 yards with something like sk or fed 711b or other brands priced in between , maybe .

·
Patrol Corporal
948 Posts
You did not mention the ammo your have tried or your scope . Rugers mkii 22lr trigger are not very good and barrels can be subject depending on age but you can improve that with a Rifle Basic trigger - https://riflebasix.com/product/ruger-m77-rimfire-trigger-ru-r/

Then if you have enough scope and small point to aim at , say red 1/4" circle you should be able to do better than nickel size groups at 25 yards with something like sk or fed 711b or other brands priced in between , maybe .
You are right about the trigger. It is heavy.

The scope is an inexpensive Simmons 3x9x40mm. I don't remember the ammo but it was bulk, probably Remington or Federal.

I was very happy with a nickel size group. That would take any squirrel or rabbit or varmint I would go after.

Thank you for the link ;)

Reactions: MNBud

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The most accurate .22's that I own are Browning T-Bolts (T-1 and T-2) from the mid-1960's. They will shoot to minute of angle or better with bulk ammunition.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
CZ 452's for me.
My tiny little Scout is my most accurate rimfire. Made my old Kimber hunter look like crap. (Well, not the wood, just the groups).
My 452 Lux 22 WMR ia another winner.
Both will shoot under 1-1/2" at 100 yards.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts