Which Bolt Action .22 Rifles Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by DAW9347, Sep 24, 2020.

1. ede

ede

I think I have 11 three are stock, one walnut and metal carbine, Mannlicher, and cheap carbine for project rifle. Rest are modified for games or fun.

Intolerant likes this.
  2. Intolerant

Intolerant

I`m sure some will disagree with me about the 17cal, but i shoot with some friends that have them, and on a breezy day, my 22MAG stays right on target, their 17`s dont seem to buck the wind like my 22MAG does. Dont get me wrong though, as the .17 is a very flat shooter, as long as you aren`t shooting it on real windy days. That is just my own observation and opinion.

On some coyote hunts, my 22MAG dropped every coyote in a heap instantly. Seen a couple get away from my buddies with their 17cal`s. I dunno, just sayin what i saw when we hunted together. But does that make the 17cal a bad round, i say no. The 17cal has a purpose.

DAW9347 likes this.

3. Emily W Trott

Emily W Trott "Gary" is now a part of my past

That bluish gray stain on the stock is gorgeous, and goes with the stainless perfectly.

Spats McGee likes this.
  4. DAW9347

DAW9347 Patron Life NRA Member

That's a very nice lookin' set up. Have you tried any CCI Quiet in that rifle/suppressor? I've shot the 710 FPS type Quiets in my 77/22 Ruger and they are VERY quiet. Every shot fired will make you smile.

Spats McGee likes this.
  5. hardluk1

hardluk1

I only have two 22lr bolt rifles . One I learned to shoot with is a rem 511p and still looks good and shoots well . My favorite plinker or hunter is a Savage MKII BV that cost all ove 273 locally 5 years ago . I did a little tuning on the trigger and have a nice 15oz to 1.2lbs and mounted a discontinued bargain priced 6-24 x44 scope with a 30mm body tmd reticle and has a side mounted adjustable down to 10 yards for parallax . We aquired several families of ground hogs this year on 400 feet of creek frontage and so far 98 & 104 yards was my longest 2 shots and ammo is sk rifle match to the head .

Emily W Trott likes this.
  6. DAW9347

A few thoughts as to maybe why the CZ .22 Long Rifle caliber rifles are most likely getting the good reputation they have for accuracy.
    I received a CZ LUX a couple of months ago, and when I tried to install the .22 caliber "spud" into the bore so I could collimate the scope to the bore, the bore was too tight to accept the spud. I had to actually lathe turn that end of the expandable spud down, so it would slip fit into the muzzle end of the rifling. Sorta lends credence to what others have posted concerning CZ .22 rimfire rifles having a tight bore at the muzzle:

[​IMG]

As long as I was at it, I thought I'd chamber an SK .22 Long Rifle round in the chamber, only to verify "IF" as others have remarked, that the CZ rifles in .22 Long Rifle caliber have a chamber that's just tiny bit short to allow the bullet to go into the "lands" to become concentric with the bore. Sure enough:

[​IMG]

If you look very closely at where the white V is pointing to, it's possible to see where the first (top) bearing surface land on this bullet has been slightly "scrubbed" from entering the lands/grooves during chambering, just before the rifling begins.
    My thoughts involve accuracy is enhanced with a tight bore at the muzzle and then the bullet nose alignment meeting the lands & grooves as well as it can.

Emily W Trott likes this.
  7. Spats McGee

Spats McGee

I have and it’s ridiculously quiet. None of my semis will reliably cycle the Quiets while suppressed, but I do like it for the suppressed bolt actions.

DAW9347 likes this.
  8. DAW9347

Sliding off topic a bit, but I was bound and determined to get one of my Ruger 10/22 rifles to accept the fact that it was gonna like and behave when it has .22 Quiet ammunition at 710 FPS in its magazine:
    [​IMG]
    I installed a Fedderson 0.920 diameter barrel, threaded at the muzzle, and then removed the factory bolt and installed the Volquartsen "Firefly" lightweight bolt and charging handle. This rifle now shoots CCI 710 FPS Quiet ammunition, and it functions through all of its required duties. About the only thing heard is the bolt click when it hits the back face of the breech.

9. DAW9347

I did own a Marlin bolt action chambered in the **NEW**, at that time, .17 Mach II, and then bought a switch barrel for my Ruger VMBZ in .22 magnum caliber so I could shoot the .17 HMR.
    For my types of preferred shooting, those tiny .17 caliber bullets, especially the .17 HMR made "red mist" out of most moving targets. The chickadees just loved what they found all over tree branches, but with "game for the pot", you're better off with a soup recipe.
    I sold that Marlin at a gun show and then the barrel to a fella who also have a Ruger 77/22 in .22 magnum. With much of the new type .22 Long Rifle ammunition available these days, and when you can find it, it'll do all right on whatever will fit in your skillet.

10. Nutty Professor 188

Nutty Professor 188 Patrol Corporal

The OP didn't really say what the rifle was to be used for; target, hunting, plinking, or all of the above.

My only bolt action .22 is a Ruger All Weather 77/22. It is WAY overengineered for .22 and it's hell for stout. I don't think it's the best for a target gun although I have occasionally shot nickel size groups with it a 25 yards. The trigger is pretty clean but heavy.

It's a good all-around .22 bolt action, I think. I like that it uses the Ruger rotary magazine.

I really would like to try one of the Ruger American Rimfires. The Marksman trigger and block bedding system intrigue me.

11. josey

josey

My Mossberg 46B(a) is pretty good . It is the only .22 cal rifle on single action I have (photos on post 45) , but I like it very much . The bolt is very precise and super smooth . I am very happy with it . It has a 22 rd magazine on .22LR so it is a placer to shoot the thing for a long stretch without having to reload it .

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  12. Omaha-BeenGlockin

Omaha-BeenGlockin

Have a CZ 455 .22lr that's been a bit of disappointment so far------could be the ammo or the scope---so not counting out the rifle just yet---I need to spend some more time sorting it out but have been working a lot too. My little Browning lever action will shoot rings around this one---which shouldn't be the case.

Just bought a Ruger Precision Rimfire in .22mag that I'm still deciding what scope to get and if I can even find one once I decide----so haven't played with this rifle at all---yet. It will be more of a hunter than a target shooting range toy--so not requiring guilt edge accuracy out of this one either.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  13. mrwug

mrwug

Love shooting my Tikka T1X. It’s a much better gun than I am a shooter.