GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Not to steer the thread off course, but,
Everybody should at least have one good ole`faithful Ruger 1022 in their semi-auto collection.
I think I have 11 three are stock, one walnut and metal carbine, Mannlicher, and cheap carbine for project rifle. Rest are modified for games or fun.

·
Registered
11,964 Posts
Really? For some reason I was thinking the 17 bucked the wind more. So, this is good to hear - it gets windy where I’m at.
I think the 22 mag is a bit more versatile.
I`m sure some will disagree with me about the 17cal, but i shoot with some friends that have them, and on a breezy day, my 22MAG stays right on target, their 17`s dont seem to buck the wind like my 22MAG does. Dont get me wrong though, as the .17 is a very flat shooter, as long as you aren`t shooting it on real windy days. That is just my own observation and opinion.

On some coyote hunts, my 22MAG dropped every coyote in a heap instantly. Seen a couple get away from my buddies with their 17cal`s. I dunno, just sayin what i saw when we hunted together. But does that make the 17cal a bad round, i say no. The 17cal has a purpose.

Reactions: DAW9347

·
Electric Sex
5,401 Posts
Reactions: Spats McGee

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I only have two 22lr bolt rifles . One I learned to shoot with is a rem 511p and still looks good and shoots well . My favorite plinker or hunter is a Savage MKII BV that cost all ove 273 locally 5 years ago . I did a little tuning on the trigger and have a nice 15oz to 1.2lbs and mounted a discontinued bargain priced 6-24 x44 scope with a 30mm body tmd reticle and has a side mounted adjustable down to 10 yards for parallax . We aquired several families of ground hogs this year on 400 feet of creek frontage and so far 98 & 104 yards was my longest 2 shots and ammo is sk rifle match to the head .

·
Banned
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
A few thoughts as to maybe why the CZ .22 Long Rifle caliber rifles are most likely getting the good reputation they have for accuracy.
I received a CZ LUX a couple of months ago, and when I tried to install the .22 caliber "spud" into the bore so I could collimate the scope to the bore, the bore was too tight to accept the spud. I had to actually lathe turn that end of the expandable spud down, so it would slip fit into the muzzle end of the rifling. Sorta lends credence to what others have posted concerning CZ .22 rimfire rifles having a tight bore at the muzzle:

As long as I was at it, I thought I'd chamber an SK .22 Long Rifle round in the chamber, only to verify "IF" as others have remarked, that the CZ rifles in .22 Long Rifle caliber have a chamber that's just tiny bit short to allow the bullet to go into the "lands" to become concentric with the bore. Sure enough:

If you look very closely at where the white V is pointing to, it's possible to see where the first (top) bearing surface land on this bullet has been slightly "scrubbed" from entering the lands/grooves during chambering, just before the rifling begins.
My thoughts involve accuracy is enhanced with a tight bore at the muzzle and then the bullet nose alignment meeting the lands & grooves as well as it can.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
That's a very nice lookin' set up. Have you tried any CCI Quiet in that rifle/suppressor? …
I have and it’s ridiculously quiet. None of my semis will reliably cycle the Quiets while suppressed, but I do like it for the suppressed bolt actions.

Reactions: DAW9347

·
Banned
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I have and it’s ridiculously quiet. None of my semis will reliably cycle the Quiets while suppressed, but I do like it for the suppressed bolt actions.
Sliding off topic a bit, but I was bound and determined to get one of my Ruger 10/22 rifles to accept the fact that it was gonna like and behave when it has .22 Quiet ammunition at 710 FPS in its magazine:

I installed a Fedderson 0.920 diameter barrel, threaded at the muzzle, and then removed the factory bolt and installed the Volquartsen "Firefly" lightweight bolt and charging handle. This rifle now shoots CCI 710 FPS Quiet ammunition, and it functions through all of its required duties. About the only thing heard is the bolt click when it hits the back face of the breech.

·
Banned
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I`m sure some will disagree with me about the 17cal, but i shoot with some friends that have them, and on a breezy day, my 22MAG stays right on target, their 17`s dont seem to buck the wind like my 22MAG does. Dont get me wrong though, as the .17 is a very flat shooter, as long as you aren`t shooting it on real windy days. That is just my own observation and opinion.
On some coyote hunts, my 22MAG dropped every coyote in a heap instantly. Seen a couple get away from my buddies with their 17cal`s. I dunno, just sayin what i saw when we hunted together. But does that make the 17cal a bad round, i say no. The 17cal has a purpose.
I did own a Marlin bolt action chambered in the **NEW**, at that time, .17 Mach II, and then bought a switch barrel for my Ruger VMBZ in .22 magnum caliber so I could shoot the .17 HMR.
For my types of preferred shooting, those tiny .17 caliber bullets, especially the .17 HMR made "red mist" out of most moving targets. The chickadees just loved what they found all over tree branches, but with "game for the pot", you're better off with a soup recipe.
I sold that Marlin at a gun show and then the barrel to a fella who also have a Ruger 77/22 in .22 magnum. With much of the new type .22 Long Rifle ammunition available these days, and when you can find it, it'll do all right on whatever will fit in your skillet.

·
Patrol Corporal
855 Posts
The OP didn't really say what the rifle was to be used for; target, hunting, plinking, or all of the above.

My only bolt action .22 is a Ruger All Weather 77/22. It is WAY overengineered for .22 and it's hell for stout. I don't think it's the best for a target gun although I have occasionally shot nickel size groups with it a 25 yards. The trigger is pretty clean but heavy.

It's a good all-around .22 bolt action, I think. I like that it uses the Ruger rotary magazine.

I really would like to try one of the Ruger American Rimfires. The Marksman trigger and block bedding system intrigue me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My Mossberg 46B(a) is pretty good . It is the only .22 cal rifle on single action I have (photos on post 45) , but I like it very much . The bolt is very precise and super smooth . I am very happy with it . It has a 22 rd magazine on .22LR so it is a placer to shoot the thing for a long stretch without having to reload it .

·
Registered
928 Posts
Have a CZ 455 .22lr that's been a bit of disappointment so far------could be the ammo or the scope---so not counting out the rifle just yet---I need to spend some more time sorting it out but have been working a lot too. My little Browning lever action will shoot rings around this one---which shouldn't be the case.

Just bought a Ruger Precision Rimfire in .22mag that I'm still deciding what scope to get and if I can even find one once I decide----so haven't played with this rifle at all---yet. It will be more of a hunter than a target shooting range toy--so not requiring guilt edge accuracy out of this one either.

·
A Grouchy Old Half-Blind Fat Guy who limps .....
592 Posts
I have owned an early 77-22 and many Savage, Marlin and Mossberg Bolt Actions in both 22LR and 22WMR, currently there are none in my safe. If I seek out another it would be a Marlin SS, my favorite was an 880 SQ

Sent from my iPad using Glock Talk mobile app

·
Registered
518 Posts
Since it is slim pickings for a left handed rimfire bolt action, I have stuck with Savage since they are the easiest to find. All of my Savage MkII rifles have their heavy varmint barrel and they shoot great.

The big surprise for me as far as accuracy goes is the old Romanian M69 22 training rifle. It is definitely ugly and made crudely but it does shoot well.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I just ordered a Boyds Pro Varmint stock for one of my 452 Americans and I got a 6-24 scope for it. I’m gonna try my hand at the long range stuff. I plan to buy a Tikka T1X for Christmas.
E9432E64-7ACE-45B1-9E45-CFB1B70E2666.jpeg

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
The stocks look really good. I use a Annie for long range to 300 yards. Have a 20 MOA Talley rail on it and a 6-24 Vortex. I zero at 50 and can click up to 200 then use the Christmas tree out to 300.

Reactions: Walk Soft

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
The stocks look really good. I use a Annie for long range to 300 yards. Have a 20 MOA Talley rail on it and a 6-24 Vortex. I zero at 50 and can click up to 200 then use the Christmas tree out to 300.
Thanks. I’m going to have to use the Burris Signature Zee rings to get more elevation because no one make a rail for the 452 American. I got an “open box” deal on an Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Look at Talley and airsoft suppliers. Might not be 100% clean fit but it'll fit the 11 mm grooves.

Reactions: Walk Soft

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Does anyone check rim thickness, flat point bullets, or resize bullets to .223/.224? If so what have been your results? I've checked rim thickness and believe there may be something to it but need to investigate it more.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts