Which Bolt Action .22 Rifles Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by DAW9347, Sep 24, 2020.

1. DAW9347

DAW9347 Patron Life NRA Member

Over the years I've been lucky to have customers that share their successes with me when they get a new .22 rimfire bolt action rifle that shoots better than expected. Of course, I also hear about those that sadly, don't make the cut, no matter what we do to try things.
    Would like to read about the bolt action rifles members here have that shoot to their expectations.
    I have a CZ 455 FS that surprised the heck out of me when I started testing various .22 rimfire ammunition in it:
    [​IMG]
    Three different lots of Norma Tac-22 ammunition produced some very enticing groups, that I didn't expect:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Only thing I've done so far is install "Yo-Dave" trigger. Next, I'll see if "pillar-bedding" the action will make the groups any smaller.

2. ede

ede

My 52s shoot very good and are a dream to shoot. I think my best results were with a 40X and maybe luck played into it. I was really disappointed in a CZ 455 Target Varmint. I have a M70 Shultz & Larsen that impressed me with irons but it's been a year or two since I shot it and don't remember how well it did shoot. My Ruger 77/22 shots great around 1 1/4" at 100 yards. My Annies and Walther will shoot 1/2 to 3/4 at 50 yards. My Remington 513T with shoot 3/4 at 50 yards. Winchester 75s will shoot with the 513T I've had several of the Savage rifles and all were poor performers. Had a Ruger Precession RimFire that would shoot 1 1/2" groups all day long at 100 feet that's FEET not yards, I didn't keep it long. I think my next may well be a Langley Bench Rest.
    40 X.jpg
    50 Yards Iron Sights.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020

3. gamecocks

gamecocks

Well, I only have 1 bolt action 22, my first 22, and it shoots above it's price IMO. A Savage B22 FVSS (I think). I don't have pics, but if I do my part it will shoot 1/2" groups at 25yds with CCI Quiet that I like to shoot in my yard. I feel like I am the limiting factor here, and a better shooter could do more with this gun. I have some various match ammo that I've been meaning to try...that'd help me tighten my groups a bit, I'm sure.

Anyway, Savage B22. Great gun for the money. Love the accutrigger too.

Intolerant, Borg Warner and DAW9347 like this.
  4. DAW9347

I'd love to find a Winchester 52C in good condition. Those Model 52 rifles set records back in the day for long range shooting and with no competitors until the Remington Model 37 was brought out, and it was a "slug fest" for years after between those two.

Intolerant likes this.
  5. 1eyedjack01

1eyedjack01

My CZ 452 American with Brooks trigger kit is a tack driver with SK Std+ or better ammo. Bought it back in 2003 and couldn't be more pleased with the fit, finish and performance.

Intolerant likes this.
  6. ede

ede

I have a B and C. They aren't hard to find but finding one cheap is the difficult part. My B came with Redfield Olympic irons and a Lyman Supertarget scope for 1200$ My C came with a Unertl scope and no irons for 900$. I paid 275$ for a set of Redfield Olympics for it. I wanted a 52 forever and settled on a 77/22 Target Varmint then got my first Annie then a 75. Finally got a 52 and wanted a 40X. Couldn't find a cheap 40X so spent that money on a Garand. Then the other 52 came along. Kept looking for a 40X and found a guy selling everything his gun club had and bought mine with Redfield Olympic irons for just under 1000$. Want a benchrest rifle now. Bought a nice Kimber 82 but it didn't do it for me and think at some point I'll try to get a Langley. It never ends.

Emily W Trott likes this.
  7. DAW9347

You mentioned a "benchrest rifle" above. I've gone to a few of those ARA matches, only as an observer, to see what armament and optics those folks are using. Couldn't figure why many had such extra long barrels until I was told those are tube extensions so they get a much longer "sight radius".
    Ok, I learned somethin'.
    Many of those guys and gals had some heavy $$$ invested in those custom rifles, and from my estimation, it appeared like at least $3,000.00 in their set-ups. A bit rich for a poor 'ol 'smith who likes to shoot .22 rimfire with rifles only the "unwashed masses" can afford.
    I suppose if I took all my .22 firearms and sold those off, I could then get a "Bill Caffe" set-up, or some custom beauty done by a notable bench-gun builder, but what fun would that be, only have ONE good .22 firearm.

Intolerant likes this.
  8. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

As far as brand new guns are concerned- the Savage Mark II. Plain Jane, wood stock, open sights is a fantastic .22LR for the money.

More vintage, my Remington 513-T Matchmaster.

jmaj and Intolerant like this.
  9. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

My dad bought a Glenfield 70. My first .22. That thing has harvested everything I shot at. I have been allowed to shoot two high level .22 free rifles. (Adjust stock, weights, jacket...)
    The Glenfield shoots (for me) nearly as good as those thousands of $$$ guns.

jmaj, orangejeep06 and Intolerant like this.
  10. Bradley T

Bradley T

Winchester model 69.

Braveheart1 likes this.
  11. ScottMn

ScottMn

I was about to buy a CZ when a deal came up for a Ruger Precision Rimfire. It doesn't like (shoot as accurate) with the 15 or 25 round magazines but with 10 rounders and CCI Standard Velocity it's easily an MOA gun and with Eley Target a little bit better. I have to admit, the action wasn't as smooth out of the box as some of the CZ's I've shot but it's most definitely improving and with the adustable stock, fits me like a glove. I wasn't sure what to expect but I've been pleasantly surprised. RPR 22.jpg

12. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

a 2002 CZ452 FS. Afraid to even take it out of the safe. Less than a dime with older federal 550 pack bulk all day long. Never tried premium ammo to see what it could do. Ordered from a georgia shop and or distributor who told me only 300 were made or came to the US that year. I emailed cz recently and was told they didnt have the numbers.

Intolerant and 1eyedjack01 like this.
  13. ede

ede

Found this photo of a target I shot with my CZ 457 MTR first time out with it. It has a 36x Weaver on it. I don't care for how the stock feels in the grip area but it looks good. Two of my other CZs have irons and other has a K12 Weaver.
    .jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Walk Soft and Intolerant like this.
  14. Emily W Trott

Emily W Trott Electric Sex

I love the Ruger 77/22 VBZ that I bought nearly twenty years ago with the idea that I would start squirrel hunting. Never did get back into hunting, but I have had a lot of fun and enjoyment shooting it. It is very accurate, even with the heavy factory trigger. The relatively low cost is another big plus for a made in the USA rifle.

Stay safe, Emily

77-22-VBZ-08-31-2014_50-yd-_Prone-Slow_01_1000x750.jpg

Walk Soft, Intolerant and 1eyedjack01 like this.
  15. Spats McGee

Spats McGee

My collection may seem rather pedestrian, compared to some of the beauties I've seen in this thread. I have to confess that I don't have a lot of history with bolt action .22s. I had a few pass through my hands there and there, but they didn't really catch my interest until lately. I had a 10/22 that ran perfectly well. Why would I need a bolt .22?

Then I got a suppressor. My perspective changed when I realized that the noisiest thing about a suppressed 10/22 was the action. So I went on the hunt for a bolt .22. I settled on the Ruger American Rimfire. I'm kind of a Ruger fan, and sure liked the idea that I could use all of the 10/22 mags that I'd bought over the years. No need to buy new mags? Sign me up!
    Two Rugers 001.jpeg

As luck would have it, a buddy of mine and I went out to shoot .22s one day, he he brought along his RAR, but his was the Target model. As much as I like my RAR, and I most assuredly do, his was clearly more accurate than mine.

So when I sold a pistol a couple of weeks ago, I took the cash straight to the same dealer where my buddy had bought his and, lo and behold, a rifle just like his. I had to have it.
    RART 001.JPG

I'm still waiting on my scope, but I can't wait to shoot it!

Intolerant, Emily W Trott and DAW9347 like this.
  16. Spats McGee

Spats McGee

Gorgeous rifle! I saw a 77/22 at the gun show a couple of weeks ago and seriously considered buying it.

Intolerant and Emily W Trott like this.
  17. DAW9347

This is my "I" beam rest that I've used in the past to test accuracy in some .22 rimfire barreled actions. Here again, the intent is to eliminate as much human influence involved with the actual shooting process as possible:

[​IMG]

Testing is done with the complete length of the barrel free floating. Next, I will use the pad on the end of the screw to be adjusted upward to touch the bottom of the barrel to dampen any harmonic waves before the next shot is taken.
    Currently this fixture holds a Marlin Model 80 barreled action to test various .22 rimfire ammunition brands that I have or come across. This barreled action is very accurate with several brands of .22 rimfire ammunition, but not necessarily the same results with other barreled actions installed and the same ammunition.

18. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

My father had a Ruger 77/22 which was very nice and very accurate.

But it was a right hand bolt.

I’d line to pick up a left hand CZ Lux (not sure if still in production) and a LH 527 in .223 as well.

19. cityborncountrylivin

cityborncountrylivin

20. ede

ede

That's an interesting fixture for testing. Do you secure it to table/bench before using it? Is the mounting blocks just vee blocks?

Wonder how many of the responders have experience with multiple makers and models or limited experience?

DAW9347 and Emily W Trott like this.