Which boat?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by terlingua, Apr 23, 2003.

1. terlingua

terlingua Senor Member

Need a small boat. Requirements:

1. Can be carried 100 yards by 2 men.
    2. Used for fishing small ponds in summer
    3. Used for accessing duck blind in winter
    4. Holds at least two adults
    5. Comfortable
    6. Trolling motor may be used at times
    7. Must be stable (dogs in and out in water).

A small aluminum flat bottom with oars and option for trolling motor looks best, but I'm sure there is more out there to look at. I've done some looking at the kayak sites hoping they have something out of the ordinary too, but no such luck yet. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. noway

noway

a Flat Bottom Jon boat made from aluminium sounds like the answer.

> very stable

> moveable by one person ( better with 2 )

Don't know about carry it 100yrds but you could drag it very easily over grass/sand

> easy mounts a small gas motor or electric trolling

> lenghts from 8.8 ft and longer

> very comfortble or at worst you add some pads to the bench seat.

> can convert very easily to a duck blind

costs anywhere from $399 upwards to over 2K

3. Minuteman

Minuteman Jeff Gannon???

http://www.pygmyboats.com/

Try the wineglass wherry. Not only funtional, but a great looking boat too.
    It rows so easily you won't need a motor but it will take one.

4. Dan in Alaska

Dan in Alaska

I agree that a flat-bottomed aluminum boat sounds ideal. They are much more stable than a canoe, but don't weight much more.

Remember that oars are much easier to carry than the deep cycle battery needed for a trolling motor. I would skip the trolling motor, or only use one when the battery did not have to be carried very far.

You may be able to find a good deal on a used boat if you watch the classified ads in the paper.

5. vafish

vafish

I'm a canoe man my self. Used them for over 30 years, for fishing and duck hunting. Never went for an unintended swim except in white water. But I've never duck hunted with dogs. Getting a large lab in and out of a canoe could be a problem. But Cabelas and other places sell outrigger kits for canoes that will give you added stability. No need for a electric motor (although 2hp gas with mount has been used quite well).

I will admit that a small john boat is more stable. Super walmart has some 10 footers for about $460. Also look at Galyans if you have one around. They have some small plastic boats good for 2 people start at around $359. (I've been looking a bit myself lately)

6. noway

noway

I was at Bass Pro shop here , and they had a few of the bas/pond tenders on sale for about $460-570 range (IIRC ) and they come all ready to go minus trolling motor. If you have one around you're area, take a drive and check them out.

I came within about 30secs aways from buying one but I have no place to store it at the time being.

7. ch-po

ch-po

I had a canoe that I used to use for fishing and duck hunting. I have an 85 pound yellow lab that comes and goes ,and we never got dumped. Definitely not your most stable choice though, but very workable. Mine had a shallow v hull, so it was more stable that the round bottom canoes. I had an electric trolling motor and mount for it too.

8. terlingua

terlingua Senor Member

Thanks for the replies - I have a few new things to check into now.

9. vafish

vafish

terlingua,

one other thing I forgot to mention.
    If you want to make a canoe really stable, lash it to another canoe.

2 canoes lashed side by side, about 3' apart, using a couple of saplings works realy well in rough water. It's even better if one of the canoes has a motor on it! I've also one this and raised a sail made of a dining fly for a long downwind run on a big lake.

If you have a hunting partner, you each could buy a canoe (possibly one or both a square stern. One of you get a motor mount and motor, when you need the extra stability lash them together.