close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which AVG??

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by DWavs, Apr 11, 2007.

1. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

After years of putting up with Norton as a resource hog, I dumped it and downloaded AVG. I must have downloaded the wrong one because it wants a license key from an email or the box, which I have neither since I thought I was downloading the free version. The file was 40 mb.

Can someone link me to the free version that everyone raves about. I can't tell from the descriptions on the page which one it is.

Thanks!

2. g29andy

g29andy CLM

3. WINGS

WINGS CLM

Posted - 02/19/2007 : 09:37:37 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For what it's worth.
    I'm not afraid to try new software so when the Norton Anti Virus programs that we have on our computers was due for the full upgrade and payment I did some research and came up with this as our new anti virus program choice.

Our 3 PCs were due for an full update on the Norton Anti Virus....and I dumped it. Symantec puts so much "junk" on your system that even their 'uninstall' only got rid of some of it. I'm still finding some of their junk in my Registry.........

I went with BitDefender v10 Anti Virus. I paid $19 for each license at an internet site called "Herman Street" on a special offer.
    http://www.hermanstreet.com/store/index.php

BitDefender site:
    http://www.bitdefender.com/

Check out the big review on all Anti Virus programs out there and BitDefender was rated #1 at:
    http://anti-virus-software-review.t...ivirus software

THE FREEBIE
    I also spent the $$$ to update my ZoneAlarm Pro firewall program. I've been running the paid version for a couple of years and it's blocked over 5,000 attempts on my computer. It also has a ton of other worthwile features such as the firewall, anti spyware, anti virus monitoring, email protection and identity protection.
    Here is the link to get the FREE version of ZoneAlarm.
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp

A friend just went to BitDefender also. She got a 2 year subscription for 2 computers for $39.95 Try that with Norton.

BTW, Norton send me an email just before my subscription ran out saying that they couldn't AUTOMATICALLY charge my credit card for my renewal because the card had expired. Ya know why??? I knew it was coming from those sneaky people and got a new card.

4. DWavs

lovette: Thanks for the link!

Wings: Thanks for the reply because it made me remember to go into my Norton account page and turn off the automatic renewal that would have charged my credit card in a few weeks! :thumbsup:

5. DWavs

I have it downloaded on my laptop that I use very minimal. I am gonna give it a test run and if all seems well, I am gonna dump Mcafee off the desktop and put it on there also. The new Mcafee is the biggest resource hog I have seen to date.

6. DonL

DonL

7. DWavs

After spending an hour trying to remove Mcafee from my desktop. I have concluded that Mcafee is a virus in itself.

8. MOTHERGREEN

MOTHERGREEN

avg no longer offers a free version of the latest 7.5 or any other for that matter from what I know

9. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

10. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

And no offense D... but aren't you moderating this forum? Seems... ironic. Just struck me funny. We now return you to your regular programming.

11. WINGS

WINGS CLM

It's amazing when you get into the registry (run: regedit) and see how many Symantec entries are there. I did a 'search' on Symantec and a ton more came up.

Great links to Major Geeks. Thanks

12. DWavs

I am far from a Anti Virus expert. Have run Mcafee and Norton for the past dozen years and got sick of the bogging down of my system.

No offense taken...my main task is to stifle the Mac vs. PC debate threads.

:supergrin:

13. MOTHERGREEN

MOTHERGREEN

Hmm well how bout that. I kept getting popups from avg at the end of last 06 telling me that they would no longer offer the free avg after feb so I bought the pay version heh .. guess those bastages just did that to get my money.

14. g29andy

g29andy CLM

I think they were just discontinuing support for version 7.1
    You just had to install v7.5.

Do you like the paid version any better?

15. MOTHERGREEN

MOTHERGREEN

it works just fine. but then the free version did too. it catches more stuff than most anti virus programs but no av program is perfect.. I'm currently sitting at a completly wiped fresh installed computer. I'd have everything reinstalled right now if my dog didn't just knock over my external hd (where everything was backed up) and break it.

16. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

They did make finding the free version a little harder to find but it's still there. Been using AVG free for years now with no problems ;)

17. MOTHERGREEN

MOTHERGREEN

yep i noticed on the disk i got when you put it in it directs you to their dl page theres an option for avg pay thats the anti virus plus firewall and theres avg free thats just the anti virus i spoze