close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which AR 10 Platform?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by CHEF-LOU, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Actually RW it's really not fair going around with you on this I was used as one of the shooters in an orange grove in Vero Beach that was putting down groups out of prototype sr25s many years ago. I got to meet Mr Stoner and talk to him about design elements of the SR 25. It was a kind of joke when Armalite came out with their new AR 10 seeing it was a direct rip off of the SR 25 except for the magazine interface.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Back to the OP's question.........

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014

3. Mayhem like Me

Between the two I already said Smith.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

4. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Is there a chart for AR-10 clones?
    Something that details out the different features, technical specs, support after sale, and estimated delivery times. I would also hit the mag compatibility. If it can be built up like the AR-15 parts here and parts there. Alternative cartridges besides the 308.

I am thinking this would help everyone in the market.

5. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

That would be useful. Especially when I finally get into the market for a .260 AR10.

6. Mayhem like Me

Ill go from memory.

KAC forged upper and lower, Shares upper shape with Armalite2.0 original Armalite style mags style /magpul magazines

Armalite 2.0/Noveske forged upper and lower M14 style mags now the newer Armalites use Magpul magazines Special extension in Carbine form

DPMS old style extruded upper distinct upper rounded rear. Original Armalite style /Magpul magazines regular Carbine extension. DPMS barrel extensions are not compatible with Rock River or Armalite.

Rock River uses FAL based magazines and is its own animal.

Many makers mix and match you need a DPMS style carrier for most except Armalite
    LMT and Larue are a mix of specs that I have not gotten to the bottom of yet

The chart would be all screwed up.

7. Mayhem like Me

8. RWBlue

Yes, but .... I am good with charts. You do the brain dump and I will see what I can do with the data.

As I understand it..
    Noveske, has used both DPMS and Armalite AR-10B lowers. I do not know what they do now.

Armalite lowers come in two flavors.
    AR-10B which use modified M14 mags
    AR-10A which use the DPMS/Knight mags

9. RWBlue

They all use AR-15 triggers now correct?

They all use the same kind of action, Correct? Standard dirty gas system like an AR-15.

Can you build better/cheaper than buy and modify at this point? What websites for the parts? Need any different tools? What if you buy one lower and now want a different kind of upper?

10. uzimon

uzimon team ftp

Can do a piston system.
    Check out www.308ar.com

11. copo9560

copo9560

For a range toy that will also handle deer sized game, have you considered staying with AR15 in 6.5 Grendell? While it does not have the power of the 308, on a well assembled upper makes a fantastic rifle.

123 grain 6.5 bullet has a higher BC than you will be able to use with a 308 on an AR10 platform. This is the key to long range success.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  12. 03scgt

03scgt

Unless you reload the .308 will be cheaper. By alot

13. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Inside of 300 yards BC is meaningless. You can argue minute windage corrections with me until you are blue in the face. BC is a function of velocity and range.

The 6.5 doesn't have the velocity to propel it into a higher ballistic coeffecient and inside of 300 yards there is virtually no practical utility to the higher BC. In other words--nobody can shoot it so precisely that they can use the very slim advantage offered over a less aerodynamic bullet.

The 6.5 isn't a 400 yard deer gun...lack of energy.

14. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Funny, it's killed elk at 400m just fine.

15. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

The Smith can be had for between 1400 and 1600 or the Colt Le 901 for about 2300 which is higher than your figure so I would say Smith which is reviewed quite favorably.

16. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Its not a 400 yard elk gun. I can probably kill an elk with a .243 at 400 yards. That doesn't make it an elk gun. Many Cape Buff have fallen to the .303 British. You wouldn't walk up on a wounded Cape Buffalo with a .303 rifle if it was the last gun in the world...

17. Rupert

Rupert

Because you already have an M1?

18. copo9560

copo9560

I agree the 6.5 is not a 400 yard deer gun but it is adequate at shorter ranges and superior to the 5.56. I also concur BC means little at 300 yards or less.

For a long range toy BC does help out. Consider that with equal length barrels over 300 yards the 6.5 shoots flatter than M118. For taking on the 2 liter soda bottles at 800 to 1000 yards the Grendel is a fun AR sized package and parts interchange with your other stuff.

Not saying Grendel is equal in any way to 308 but it can be a fun to shoot alternative that has more range capabilities than most understand.

19. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

No argument with that. I have a 6.8 and the ballistics are very close to the 6.5.. Both are 300 yard deer guns. Neither are elk guns. Not in the sense that they can't kill an elk when everything is perfect and the range is limited. But in the sense its a gun you take on an elk hunt where you might need to make a 400 yard shot and the angle isn't perfect and there are any number of variables that means the bullet might need to penetrate half the animal and break some bones along the way. Or you need a second shot again...in less than ideal circumstances. You tote a caliber like a 6.5 and you are either severly limited in you range/shot selection or you are not doing ethical in terms of bringing the right tool for the job. Its a function of ballistic energy--nothing more. And there's simply no way a small caliber bullet 120 grs or so with 30-35 grains of any kind of powder behind--typically from a 16" barrel is an elk gun. 300 yard deer gun? In the right hands--yes.

20. PaLEOjd

PaLEOjd

Between The M&P and the Windham, I would definately go with the M&P10 hands down. It's been around a while and is proven reliable.
    Windham Weaponry actually does not manufacture their .308 rifles. They were partnered with Patriot Ordnance (POF USA) for their .308 rifle. They make a decent rifle just like Smith & Wesson but I would still go with the M&P.