GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Just buy a couple of boxes of known name brand h.p. ammo, shoot a box of it, load up the rest in your carry magazine(s,) after twenty fire through the gun and the scoring rings of the target. Don't make too much of a scientific conundrum out of it.
I have Fed HST Micros in my 43. They should work well in that Little Ruger. I like them because they have a real mean-looking hollow point- reminds me of a largemouth bass!

*Actually I have four magazines for my G43 and four different kinds of ammo. I feel like they all will kill the same.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for the input. Maybe I'm over thinking this. I've had some say you need +P for better stopping power. Others say you need heavier grain for colder weather for better penetration. I'm starting to think any JHP will do fine.
Since I have better grouping and control I am thinking the +P for the G19 and 124 grain for the Ruger?

·
Florist
19,921 Posts
I'm a KISS kind of guy, so I say use the same brand in both guns as they are both intended to be SD/HD guns. I'm partial to Speer 9mm +P Gold Dots but any from a name brand manufacturer will do.

Start with standard pressure 9mm. And make sure the ammo cycles reliably in both guns.

In these days of ammo scarcity, you might end up with a box of this brand, 2 boxes of that brand, etc... Just try to keep each magazine loaded with the same brand ammo. Avoid loading a magazine with ammo from multiple brands.

·
Registered
35,112 Posts
Data:
I have a G19 for Home Defense. I have good grouping and recoil control. 4" barrel.
I have a Ruger LC9s. This gun is newer to me and I haven't gotten a good handle on it yet especially on recoil control. 3.12" barrel. It is concealed carry only.

Whatever I use will be JHP. I understand that +P is better but, at this point I want better grouping and recoil control. I am not sold on more powerful is better if the recoil ruins the 2nd shot. Likewise, for Home Defense, I don't want a round too powerful and it goes through the bad guy, the refrigerator, and the outer wall.

Please don't tell me what you like or what I need to get better at. I have tried the G19 for concealed carry and it is too heavy for me.
For right now (as I continue to improve, tell me what you think I should use for each gun.
Generally the heavier 147gr jhp, std vel will feel softer. So I would look at hst 147gr.
You do have a msconception of more "powerful" rds over penetrating. In fact many times adding vel makes the bullet expand faster/larger & reduces penetration. Especially true in lighter for caliber bullet wts. I also like simple & carry 124gr +p hst in my g26 or g19.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Horandy Critical Defense

My unscientific tests of shooting gallon water jugs with 12 inches of phone books in between from 15 feet showed good expansion from this load with Glock 19 and larger guns but no expansion with pocket guns like the LC9.

·
Registered
10,222 Posts
Data:
I have a G19 for Home Defense. I have good grouping and recoil control. 4" barrel.
I have a Ruger LC9s. This gun is newer to me and I haven't gotten a good handle on it yet especially on recoil control. 3.12" barrel. It is concealed carry only.

Whatever I use will be JHP. I understand that +P is better but, at this point I want better grouping and recoil control. I am not sold on more powerful is better if the recoil ruins the 2nd shot. Likewise, for Home Defense, I don't want a round too powerful and it goes through the bad guy, the refrigerator, and the outer wall.

Please don't tell me what you like or what I need to get better at. I have tried the G19 for concealed carry and it is too heavy for me.
For right now (as I continue to improve, tell me what you think I should use for each gun.
124gr HST, or Gold Dot. Standard Pressure is fine.

Even Golden Saber is good, although with the Remington bankruptcy I'm not sure if they are still around or not.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Realistically, any of the major brands of defensive ammo will have the desired effect on the target. As someone else has already said, the most important thing is to find the ammo that runs through your gun(s) reliably. For me, that ammo is Federal HST; but it might be something else for you.

It will be expensive at first while you are trying different ammo types. After you have settled upon a defensive ammo, you need to find a FMJ load that matches the ballistics of your defensive round to use at the practice range.

This is a bad time to try and do what I said; because of the ammo drought. You might just be forced to use whatever you can find.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Years ago when I had several 9mm pistols in various makes and models. Some I ran +P+, others +P and others just standard factory loadings.

Today I load all my pistols with Winchester 147 grain JHP. The +P+ and +P loadings are over rated, JMHO.

·
Mr. Awesome
10,430 Posts
Right now, run what you can find (and afford) that meets the following criteria:

-Reliable
-Consistent
-Hits where you aim

For defensive rounds, JHP is the standard. 124 grain is the most common in 9mm, though 147 grain is becoming much more readily available and used. There is nothing wrong with 115 grain. Some companies like to make bullets in other weights: 135 gr (quite popular), 127 and 150 gr are both available.

+P will have more recoil. +P+ will have the most. These indicate higher pressure than standard. Many prefer the 124 gr +P, in 9mm. Until recently it was one of the most popular LE loadings. Don’t get too hung up on +P versus standard pressure. Often, there is very little applicable difference.

These are my top choices, for defensive rounds (in any “duty“ caliber):
(Posted in no particular order)
Remington Golden Saber Bonded
Remington Golden Saber Black Belt
Federal Tactical Bonded
Federal Tactical HST
Speer Gold Dot
Winchester Ranger T-Series
Winchester Ranger Bonded
Hornady Critical Duty

If you can’t find those, these are also very good:
Remington Golden Saber
Federal 9BP
Federal 9BPLE
Federal Hi-Shok
Rounds loaded with the Hornady XTP bullet (Fiocchi and others load this)

Still better than FMJ:
Federal Hydrashok
Hornady Critical Defense is made specifically for small firearms.
Several “off” brand or boutique rounds.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I've decided that until I can get more confortable with the sub-compact and a better handle on the recoil control on the shorter barrel, I'm looking at standard pressures on the LC9s. For the G19, I prefer the +p if available.
No matter which gun, the rounds will be JHP.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I have a G19 Gen 4 and I load my mags with Hornady Critical Duty ammo. I have had no malfunctions with this combination.

·
Quick! Duck!
2,830 Posts
At this point in time I like to use any ammo I can find, instead of pipe dreaming about being picky, simply because I do not recall seeing a choice of ammo anywhere for many moons. You need to be better at foretelling the future. Had you been, you'd have all the ammo you need now and you'd not be scrambling to find it. 😁

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I wasn't asking about brands but about grains and standard versus +p.
Everyone has their favorite brand as do I but as already said many times, JHP of any brand is better than an empty gun.

·
Millenium #3936
6,298 Posts
and no matter what "grains" you are interested in, some [brands] are more reliable in certain guns than others.

You could probably benefit from listening to what people with the same guns are using. If you are curious as to why they have selected one brand over another, you can ask them.. I am sure they will tell you.

Personally, I dont give a flip what ammo I use so long as its a JHP in standard pressure that is also reliable in my gun. I dont really get all deep into the ballistics. Its a handgun, which is an incredibly minimalist weapon to begin with. I dont overthink it.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts