GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Data:
I have a G19 for Home Defense. I have good grouping and recoil control. 4" barrel.
I have a Ruger LC9s. This gun is newer to me and I haven't gotten a good handle on it yet especially on recoil control. 3.12" barrel. It is concealed carry only.

Whatever I use will be JHP. I understand that +P is better but, at this point I want better grouping and recoil control. I am not sold on more powerful is better if the recoil ruins the 2nd shot. Likewise, for Home Defense, I don't want a round too powerful and it goes through the bad guy, the refrigerator, and the outer wall.

Please don't tell me what you like or what I need to get better at. I have tried the G19 for concealed carry and it is too heavy for me.
For right now (as I continue to improve, tell me what you think I should use for each gun.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Horandy Critical Defense

Reactions: Hef

·
Philippians 4: 6-7
9,537 Posts
+P is better? That is a matter of opinion.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Arthur: here's an example:
What a 250 pound man who works out at the gym uses (not saying this is you) is not what he should recommend to a 120 pound housewife (not me).

·
9,537 Posts
Arthur: here's an example:
What a 250 pound man who works out at the gym uses (not saying this is you) is not what he should recommend to a 120 pound housewife (not me).
Wait, what?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
GeorgiaGlocker: what make +P different?

Edit: What is wrong with my example? If a smaller lighter person has less strength and recoil control, is it not better to use a lighter load so that the second shot hits its target? Yes, they should practice and learn better control but, until that happens, a lighter load seems to me to be a better choice.

·
Director of civil unrest
9,235 Posts
Data:
I have a G19 for Home Defense. I have good grouping and recoil control. 4" barrel.
I have a Ruger LC9s. This gun is newer to me and I haven't gotten a good handle on it yet especially on recoil control. 3.12" barrel. It is concealed carry only.

Whatever I use will be JHP. I understand that +P is better but, at this point I want better grouping and recoil control. I am not sold on more powerful is better if the recoil ruins the 2nd shot. Likewise, for Home Defense, I don't want a round too powerful and it goes through the bad guy, the refrigerator, and the outer wall.

Please don't tell me what you like or what I need to get better at. I have tried the G19 for concealed carry and it is too heavy for me.
For right now (as I continue to improve, tell me what you think I should use for each gun.
I reload my own carry rounds. That being said, I load lighter loads for our Shield 9mm guns and pretty much max. for everything else.
You can get low flash, light recoil rounds in 9mm and that is what I'd recommend for the Ruger. In the G19 use the hottest stuff you can buy. Corbon used to be good but that was a long time ago. Someone else that is using over the counter stuff would know better than me and I'm sure they'll chime in.

·
9,537 Posts
GeorgiaGlocker: what make +P different?
The difference is standard pressure vs higher pressure. I personally never use +p or +p+. You claim is it better. In what way?

Reactions: reach147

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Data:

147gr HST+P for both.
I’ve tested in G19s and in P365s (3” barrel).

+P actually penetrates less far for a lot of JHP because it opens up farther and slows down quicker.

·
Director of civil unrest
9,235 Posts
147gr HST+P for both.
I’ve tested in G19s and in P365s (3” barrel).

+P actually penetrates less far for a lot of JHP because it opens up farther and slows down quicker.
Depending on the bullet construction and weight.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
IF you try Critical Defence make sure it cycles. I have a 9mm that it will not load, so ck.it out before you carry it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Critical Defense looks like a great choice but right now I can't pick a specific brand since ammo is in short supply. I already have 115, 124, and +P JHP of different brands.
It was my understanding that +P has better penetration since higher velocity would mean go through rather more mass. This is better in winter when the target may have heavier clothing.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So +P is more about how the bullet spreads out and not penetration? Would a higher grain bullet have more penetration?

·
Registered
408 Posts
1) Federal HST
2) Speer Gold Dot 124 grain

These loads have worked very well for me over thousands of rounds. I have confidence in them.

·
NRA Life member
510 Posts
Data:

With the restriction you've put in place, I'll tell you what I don't like, any FMJ round.

·
Millenium #3936
6,298 Posts
gold dots seem to run well in glocks, its what I use. As far as the ruger, I would trying gold dots simply to keep things uniform. If GD doesnt work, I would try federal HST. I am not all that worried about absolute ballistics, I simply want a JHP that will run reliably in my gun. This is what I use:

Speer Gold Dot
Federal HST
Federal 9bp

Reactions: G19 fan and oldmick
1 - 20 of 39 Posts