Which 45?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by txpitdog, Feb 21, 2010.

1. txpitdog

txpitdog

Looking at a XD Tactical 45ACP, but I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something about one of these others that I needed to know before buying. Only interested in the full size models. Not interested in a 1911, already got one!

XD 45 Tactical (like the 14rd cap. and ambi-safety)
    Glock 21SF (simple, but not as lefty oriented as the XD or FNP)
    M&P 45 (almost certainly out due to the 10rd capacity)
    HK45 (like the regular model, but only has 10rd capacity)
    FNP 45 (like the ambi-safety and ambi-mag release, tactical model looks sweet!)

2. bac1023

bac1023

I'd go with the HK 45.

3. The Outrage

The Outrage

I have a Glock 21. It's been perfectly reliable and I like the simplicity of operation. It has reliably fed anything I have placed in it. It has low perceived recoil to me. It is also fairly light for a double-stack .45 ACP pistol. The primary concern for a left-handed shooter will be the magazine release fixed on the left side of the grip (mine is a conventional model 21).

I have an FNH FNP-45. It has been extremely unreliable. I had to send it back to FNH twice due to consistent FTF issues. It was ultimately replaced with a new pistol. I consider it to be a FMJ-only design as there are plenty of problems feeding hollow-point rounds. FNH themselves have advised individuals to not use WWB ammunition due to small deviations in the size of the round from the SAMMI specifications. The pistol is completely intolerant of anything out of the norm in this area. It is heavier than the Glock 21 but I wouldn't consider it overly heavy in the grand scheme of things. The DA/SA trigger is decent in feel. I personally find it better than the HK45 and USP 45 I've tried out myself. My overall preference is for a light, short, crisp, and consistent trigger pull as is found in a striker-fired handgun such as the Glock. All the controls on the FNP-45 are ambidextrous.

Another pistol for consideration is the SIG P220. It is deficient in magazine capacity due to its magazine design, but there are some other decent traits to the pistol. Unfortunately, I do not believe the P220 has any right side controls.

Of those with which I have experience I like the Glock 21 the best. There is a variation of the Glock 21SF which has an ambidextrous magazine release and a Picatinny rail. The ambidextrous magazine release was a requirement for the JCP competition, which also specified the caliber of choice be .45 ACP. This has been a benefit to all left-handed .45 ACP shooters.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  4. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman

my XD 45 service has been great. though i only have around 200 or so rounds threw it. it feeds 200 grain cast round nose flat points . 230 FMj and 230 grain XTP +P

I really like it. I can always tell my favorite guns . I have the most magazines for my favorites and i already ordered extras:supergrin:

5. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

In 45ACP, I prefer my G30 to any of the about. I can conceal it with 10+1 very easily and almost as easily with the 13+1 G21 mags. I carried all last week, IWB, SuperTuck 13+1 just to see how it was. It was perfect.

I am lefty also and the G30 is excellent. I've been shooting for 35 years (I could noame begin to name all the guns I've owned or shot, but it's a lot) and the GLOCKs are my favorite pistols, ever.

6. jwitagauge

jwitagauge

I like the fnp I shot a friend of mines the other day and now im wanting one

7. mikeyU

mikeyU

out of those, HK or glock, I still prefer my p220.

8. HauntedAlabama

HauntedAlabama

I like the XD Service model .45 I have, think enough of it that it is my nightstand gun. If money is no issue I would look hard at the HK, everyone online rants and raves over them to the point I want to check out one. I am waiting on the XDm .45 to come out, I think I might have to get me one of those.

9. JBnTX

JBnTX

HK45.

Absolutely the finest combat pistol in the world.
    (In my opinion.)

10. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

There are only 3 full-size non-1911 pistols I'll even bother to give a second look:

HK45
    HK USP 45
    Sig P220

As far as lefty friendly, all of these guns are (or can be, in the case of the HK's). I no longer own my USP 45 (I deeply regret selling it), but I do still have my USPc 45, which is the gun I most often carry.

11. Girevik61

Girevik61

HK45 or Glock 21SF

Stay away from that Croatian stuff.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  12. reaper8154

reaper8154

:wavey:

13. orangevol

orangevol

Look at the XD .45 Compact. To me it is perfect for concealment with the 10 round short mag, but easy to shoot with the 13 round mag. I carry mine with the 10 round and carry the 13 round mag as a spare.

14. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

I would say don't get hung up on capacity because it ain't all that.

15. sigcalcatrant

sigcalcatrant

Don't forget to check out the HK USP45f. Unlike the HK45, the magazine holds twelve. It's the most accurate .45 ACP I own, and can be carried in condition one (cocked and locked).

16. Patriot328

Patriot328 B756

Eh I posted it in another thread already, but what the hell.. this:

[​IMG]

:supergrin:

17. tx787

tx787

The HK45 is really a great choice. The 10 round cap plus $50 cost of the magazines isn't ideal but it's thinner profile is well worth the -2 capacity. If you are a lefty you can get one with the safety lever on the other side or have it moved by a smith.

Glock 21 is probably the second best choice, really depends if you prefer hammer da/sa or striker fired. Both HK and Glock have excellent track records and are used by many major LE and military units which is a solid endorsement.

I think the XD is very popular with the US civilian market but nowhere else outside of Croatia so I'd personally avoid it but that's just opinion.

18. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

ditto (IMHO)

19. moeman

moeman

I think the XD is in the same league as the HK. IMO better egos and I doubt the German's secret sauce will have you shooting their polmer gun any better.

Only you won't have to burn thru so many of these:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  20. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

I have a G21, a G21SF and a HK 45. The HK 45 is the better gun. When I went to buy the new generation Heckler & Koch .45ACP, I though I was going to get the HK45 Compact. After handling both, the HK45 felt and handled more naturally.

You should consider the Sig Sauer P220 as well, Sig offers some interesting variations on that theme.