Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm torn between the G41 and G21 Gen 4 models (I'm left handed and swap the mag release). I'm not a fan of the Glock sub-compacts, so please don't recommend a G30. The Glock sub-compacts just don't fit my hand well and the magazine will pinch my palm and pinky when firing them. Anyway, back on topic. I'm leaning towards the G41 as I have the G34 and like the long slide models. Can anyone provide information with hands on experience with regards to a G41 Gen4? Would you recommend I look at other brands for a .45 ACP? I've always been a fan of the M&P .45 full size, but am trying to standardize on one platform if possible, thanks!

· Registered
192 Posts
I recently bought the G21 G4 and love it... this is my first .45 ACP and I am pleasantly surprised how soft it shoots. I have the G30, as well as, the HK45/HK45c on my wish list. I don't currently shoot competitively so I have no interest in any of the long slide models since they are a little large for general use (home defense/range/carry usage) IMO. I may change my tune down the road... you never know!

· Banned
11,487 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't/didn't pick a Glock for .45 ACP.

I went with the FNX-45. The M&P-45 is solid also.

But if you want a Glock 45, the G21 is your best bet for a "combat" pistol. The 41 might be better if you're doing some competition type stuff.

· Registered
1,536 Posts
I spent most of my adult life, and all of my LEO career, carrying 1911s. When I started shooting Glocks back in the '90s I got a 3rd Gen G21 and put a little over 20,000 rounds through it in practice and competition. When the SF frame was introduced I sold the G21 and got a G21SF. Despite the more comfortable grip I was always turned off by the carrier deck look of the top of the 21's slide. I eventually sold the 21SF as well and shot revolvers for about 5 years.

When the G41 was introduced I went to take a look and was very pleasantly surprised. It felt (balanced) more like the Government Models I had carried for so many years than the G21 ever did. I bought one and it is my favorite Glock at the moment. I've put something over 1000 round through this one without a problem.

I must admit I am completely sold on the idea of slimmer barrels and slides on the Glocks in 45 ACP. That massive slide on the G21 was designed to contain the recoil of the 10mm and was adapted to the much lower pressure 45 just to get one on the market. All that steel isn't needed. I built a 4th Gen G30s by putting a G36 slide and barrel on my G4 G30's frame. The next Glock I buy will be a G21S when Glock slims down the barrel and slide on the G21.

Dave

· Registered
2,249 Posts
I'm happy with the 41. I prefer the longer, slimmer profile of the slide. Some people like the 21 better. I don't think the difference in felt recoil/muzzle flip is an issue really. It's a matter of preference. They're both good guns. There are too many manufacturers and types to get into if yr looking at something besides Glock. 1911 pistols are very popular, and a lot of guys like those. I sure do.

· Registered
2,100 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't/didn't pick a Glock for .45 ACP.

I went with the FNX-45. The M&P-45 is solid also.

But if you want a Glock 45, the G21 is your best bet for a "combat" pistol. The 41 might be better if you're doing some competition type stuff.

I don't see why not. I don't see any logical reasons why not anyways.
I have a g21 gen 4 and a M&P, while both solid guns, the Glock is the most "practical" choice.

You can't even detail strip all the "critical" components of the M&P slide (extractor and firing pin block for example) without removing the rear sight and bringing out the roll punches. The Glock on the other hand is a piece of cake.

Sooner or later if one shoots enough, those "critical components" must be removed and cleaned if one is to trust his/hers life to the firearm. M&P's are a pain in the a$$ in this regard.

And this is why Glock is king IMO, and the other brands try so hard to catch up.

Get a Glock and thank me later. Peace. :)

· Banned
12,952 Posts
Thanks for the feedback everyone, maybe I'll take another look at the M&P .45, always did like that gun. I have to agree about the ease of detail stripping the Glock though.
Have you considered flipping a coin and going to buy whichever gun wins the coin toss? The idea being that you either go buy the gun that wins the coin toss or get a gut check that tells you to buy the other.

· Just sayin'
4,682 Posts
I held a Glock 41 before I bought my Glock 34 gen 3 and it felt good in my hand. I definitely want one.

· I'm not retired
8,500 Posts
I have the G34 and like the long slide models.
Here's your sign.

The performance of the 41 is outstanding. I looked at a lot of pistols before I held a G41. After I read good reviews, I went and bought it, that afternoon. I now have two backup 41's and it's the only handgun I've been shooting, of late. I've kinda off loaded the 34's and 17's to my daughters. I can't even remember the last time I shot the 36....maybe a month or two, ago.

When the range is empty, I shoot at 4.25" diameter clays stuck in the berm at 53 yds. It hits them.

· Registered
1,275 Posts
I've shot a G21 and G30 a good bit (both Gen3 models).

Both were very well mannered and handled nicely.

I've not tried a G41........yet.

I"m not sure what you are asking. It's sounds as if you want a .45acp but uncertain on the platform.

The G21 is a full-sized .45acp in every way. It eats up recoil and handles well, as previously stated. It's a Glock so you can relax and trust the feeding and interesting ways that you can customize it yourself.

If you are wanting a slimmer .45acp, then a 1911 is a lot of fun. Even an average 1911 trigger makes for a great shooting experience.

You may very well get one that runs great right out of the box.....then again you may have to do an extensive break-in...burning up a couple hundred rounds and going through various magazines, springs and ejector adjusting.

The very best 1911 reliability from the box I've seen has been from Colt......closely followed by Springfield Armory. I'm sure there are other very solid 1911 brands like Dan Wesson and STI, but I have no personal experience with them.

If I were going out today......right now....money in hand to buy a non-1911 .45acp pistol........I'd buy one of three:

FN FNX-45

H&K HK45

G41 MOS

· Love My Glocks
270 Posts
I've got a G21 gen3 and one of the new G41 MOS's. I have always thought my 21 is the most accurate Glock I own, but then I think about range time and shots fired and I guess it should be my most accurate. The heavier slide doesn't seem to give me any problems. I've changed out the trigger for a 3.5 pull and added a heavier recoil spring assembly. The 41 is very accurate, but part of that may be due to me getting use to the Vortex Razor I've got on it. I have also changed out the trigger for a 3.5# set up. In comparison I have a S&W 1911 Competition model. I honestly like the triggers on my Glocks better. I can get almost the same group out of the1911, but not consistently. Mag count is really a big difference, again I'm giving the Glocks the nod. The gen3 is what I'm the most use to, but I do like the 1911 style blackstrap I can add to the gen4. I am a Glock guy I guess, but if you want pretty and a lower mag count go with one of the other platforms and just enjoy yourself

· I'm not retired
8,500 Posts
Glock 41.

You will thank me later!!

And it will fit in your G34 holster.

:supergrin:
Every time I see a new G41 thread, I get more excited than the last time. I honestly think I like this gun better than I did the 1911, shootability wise. It puts a 45 acp bullet out there 'bout as good as anything I've shot. I like the 21, too, but this just looks better, IMO.

Some talk of recoil differences? I can barely tell a difference between the 21 and 41. Both thump pretty good, but both are very manageable. I think with a weak RSA, the 21 would recoil at the bottom of the cycle more than the 41 would, but that's just in theory. Fresh out of the box? I can barely tell a diff.

· Curmudgeon
593 Posts
I love these threads, because, we are ALL right! For my two cents, all Glocks are concealable. The G30 and G36 more so than the G21. If you want a match target gun, can't help you. BTW I was introduced to Glock by a "lefty".

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.