close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

which 44

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Mud, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Mud

Mud

smith 629 mtn gun vs ruger red hawk
    im looking to buy a .44 revolver for hikeing and hunting (under25 yards) and as a back up to my 45-70

i like both the smith 629 with the 4" or the ruger with the 5.5
    it will be carried more than shot but i dont want accuracy to suffer

any opinions

and any pix??

2. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

3. Mud

Mud

what kind of loads do you use??

how is recoil??

4. vafish

vafish

I've had a 4" model 29 (which I sold) and a 7 1/2" Super Radhawk (which I still have)

If your planing on carrying a lot and shooting a little get the mountain gun. If you want to be able to shoot and hunt with it, get the redhawk.

5. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

6. Elk Hunter

Elk Hunter

I absolutly love my 629MG.Be aware that recoil with full magnum loads is pretty stout,but managable with practice.My "plinking" load is 5.5 gr.of Bullseye under a 240 gr.swc.Very pleasant to shoot.

7. Mud

Mud

man I am still all tossed up im throughly impressed with the ruger and their duribility but the smith is a super smooth gun that just Looks right (i know look shouldnt matter)

humm...

8. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

When I hunt, I do it with a rifle or shotgun. I do often carry a back-up though, and I like a defensive handgun when I camp and hike. I have been packing a 1911, but I wanted something with a bit more power.

I just picked up an S&W model 29 today. It's from a special run for Lew Horton. It has a 3" fully lugged barrel and a non-fluted cylinder. The finish is a very dark blueing. I don't know how well I'll be able to shoot it at long range (although I suspect it will be respectable out to 25 yards), but at "stop chewing on my leg" distances it should be ideal. It is very similar in length and height to a 1911, although the cylinder is (of course) much wider than the slide of a 1911. I got it in 98% condition for $425. If your needs are similar, something like this or a Mountain Gun would be ideal.

9. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

I just switched out the grips on my new S&W 29. This was really interesting because it has a K-frame grip. I've never heard of that before, but I definitely have an N-frame .44 Magnum with a K-frame grip. I guess that explains why I like the feel of this when I've never liked any N-frames before. Now I really like this revolver, and I know that I got a really good price on a pretty scarce gun.

10. Conrad

Conrad Millennium Member

11. Trap kid

Trap kid packers rule

Ruger Vaquero. Its what patton would use.

12. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

One idea is to get a Dan Wesson with two different barrels. For hunting, use an 8 inch. For hiking, use a 4 inch.

13. Guest

Mud, Ruger is tougher and Smith is smoother. You can make a Ruger smoother, but you can't make a Smith tougher. All you need to know.

14. oldjad01

oldjad01

The Rugers are tough but you can blow them up too. I was always a little hesitant to shoot my 29 too much as it was made before they beefed up a few things. I don't worry about my 5 1/2" Redhawk 'loosening up'.
    The Dan Wesson with the interchageable bbls is nice and they are built like a tank. You can adjust the cyl/bbl gap and they are about as accurate as anything you can get for the money. I had a buddy that shot 1000's of 'just plain stupid' loads that probably would have destroyed a Smith. The gun was still running, albeit with some replacement parts, when he moved away a few years back. Haven't heard if it finally got tired or he got smart.

15. GRIZZLYBEAR

GRIZZLYBEAR

another vote for the Smith Mountain Gun