Glock Talk banner

Which 10mm?

2242 Views 79 Replies 45 Participants Last post by  MarkCO
I‘ve decided my next pistol will be 10mm. Up until tonight I was firmly set on the Glock G20. However I thought I might need to consider some other brands. After looking at info on different models it is now between the G20 and the Springfield Armory XDm Elite. I will have to buy either from Sportsmen Warehouse and the local store has the SA and the G20 in stock. The SA Elite is black/OD green which I really like. I know I can’t go wrong with the Glock and have read many threads on here about the G20. Also the G20 will be a Gen 4. I have a Gen 4 G21 and really like the looks and feel of the Gen 4. Plus I haven’t decided if I need MOS. The SA has the option for a RDS so I’m covered if I do decide to add one. I just haven’t read a lot on the SA and need some info on them. I am kind of familiar with the feel of the SA as I had one of their early XD .45s. I remember liking the feel of the gun. What is the reliability like with these in 10mm? Any concerns I should know about? Thanks in advance for your help.
Reactions: chuck73080
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

· Premium Member
680 Posts
Nice collection. But you are assuming wrong if you think everyone will recognize from photo & know which 10 mms you like.

Even zooming in I could not identify them. But I am interested in which you like and what sets them apart from other 10 mms.🙂

Thanks!
Top one Bruin.... Dan Wesson 6 inch Bruin ($2100)
Sig Sauer SSE SAO 10mm (Sig Sauer P-220) $2300
Agency Arms Glock 20 ($3600)
Cosaint Arms Cos 21 ($3600)

· Registered
G21, Beretta M9
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Just my .02 on the 10MM... make sure when buying 10 ammo it is loaded correctly/ loaded to 10mm specs...I have a G-20 / Gen 3 and a Ruger stainless SR 1911 in 10 mm both are great.
I already plan on buying some Buffalo Bore to load it it with. Not sure what rounds I’ll use for range time. Haven’t looked at the Underwood yet.

· Registered
36 Posts
I have 3 10mm, A Glock 20 which I received from a friend who passed away from covid, this was the first Glock I fired. A Springfield 1911 RO Elite Operator and finally a Rock Island 1911. having a few issues with the Springer feeding problems with certain ammo. Have not fired the Rock as of yet.

· Registered
609 Posts
If you like your G21 you will like a G40 just as much (maybe more!) My 21 is relatively old (not sure what gen, actually) and it wasn't until I had both on my bench at the same time that I realized I didn't really like the gen 4 finger grooves! I sanded them down with a dremel belt sander then passed the frame off to my local gun shop where they did a fairly aggressive stiple job that I really like! I think I actually like shooting full bore 10mm over the .45 ACP now! I also have a G29 and may have the stippling done on it as well.

I can most heartly recommend the Underwood ammo and if you reload, the Lehigh bullets as well (order direct from Lehigh now - actually Wilson Combat, the new owner of Lehigh). I am now carrying the Lehigh Xtreme Defender in all of my carry guns! They really do work!
Cheers,
crkckr

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Avoid the XD. Mine started falling apart...pins coming out, sights.

Either Glock 29, 20, or 40, SIG P220, maybe the S&W M&P. Otherwise, go 1911 (and all that entails).

I think you'll get best results from Glock and SIG.

Reactions: Dwsuratt

· Premium Member
680 Posts
If you like your G21 you will like a G40 just as much (maybe more!) My 21 is relatively old (not sure what gen, actually) and it wasn't until I had both on my bench at the same time that I realized I didn't really like the gen 4 finger grooves! I sanded them down with a dremel belt sander then passed the frame off to my local gun shop where they did a fairly aggressive stiple job that I really like! I think I actually like shooting full bore 10mm over the .45 ACP now! I also have a G29 and may have the stippling done on it as well.

I can most heartly recommend the Underwood ammo and if you reload, the Lehigh bullets as well (order direct from Lehigh now - actually Wilson Combat, the new owner of Lehigh). I am now carrying the Lehigh Xtreme Defender in all of my carry guns! They really do work!
Cheers,
crkckr
dont forget about Double-Tap

· Registered
5,290 Posts
After several days of back and forth I’ve decided to go with the Glock G20. I’m familiar with the platform and really love the Gen 4 looks and feel. I still may purchase the SA XD down the road as I really like the looks of it. But for now I’m sticking with Glock. I’ve read too many good reviews of the G20 to pass it up. The G21 with the large beavertail backstrap fits my hand perfect so I’m sure the G20 will be the same. Plus I already have a holster and mag pouches for the G21/G20. Also I like the fact that the Glock comes with 3 mags.
Since you like the Glock grip, you can't go wrong with the G20.

The XDME 4.5 grip is a little smaller than the G20, and that was the deciding factor for me. Still bigger than I'd prefer, but acceptable. The trigger is great, it's optic ready, damn near fully supported chamber, conventional rifling, it was on sale for $539, and was during gear up, so I got 3 extra mags.

I like the grip safety, but it sticks out to where you can catch the web of your hand on it if you slide your hand up the grip.

Have fired, and chronoed, 19 different factory loads, and the only issue I've had is pulling the flared magwell loose at the front. Didn't immediately notice it, and it snapped back in place.

The M&P has a very narrow grip, and feels long front to back. Reliability concerns kept me from seriously considering it.

Magtech is probably the best value for range ammo. I like Underwood too.

· JABRONI AUTIST
8,631 Posts
Don't waste money on a Springfield, the XD/XDM lineup are extremely "meh" and overall Springfield is a garbage company (same can be said of SIG). Go with G20.

· Registered
3,935 Posts
Don't waste money on a Springfield, the XD/XDM lineup are extremely "meh" and overall Springfield is a garbage company (same can be said of SIG). Go with G20.
Yep, absolutely terrible, I don't know why anyone would want one. I've tried to wrest them from the unsuspecting masses, but I've only been able to remove two so far. I'm looking at another but haven't been able rescue another unsuspecting soul just yet. Why would you want a gun that's accurate right out of the box? Steel sights...... why would anyone want a gun that comes with those? No brass to the face... come on, everyone should experience that, right? Full size guns that actually fit the average person's hand not to mention ambi mag releases, come on, who wants that? Even worse, nobody's felt the need to play lego's by swapping slides and barrels on different frames.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic, but the reality is they're not that bad. The early XD's needed a trigger kit to help the reset, which was rather long, but fixable. My XDm 10mm got a green light pipe on the front FO sight as opposed to the red one, and that's it. Nothing else needed, it pitted the X on the first shot.

Air gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Material property

41 - 60 of 80 Posts