Glock Talk banner

Which 10mm?

2256 Views 79 Replies 45 Participants Last post by  MarkCO
I‘ve decided my next pistol will be 10mm. Up until tonight I was firmly set on the Glock G20. However I thought I might need to consider some other brands. After looking at info on different models it is now between the G20 and the Springfield Armory XDm Elite. I will have to buy either from Sportsmen Warehouse and the local store has the SA and the G20 in stock. The SA Elite is black/OD green which I really like. I know I can’t go wrong with the Glock and have read many threads on here about the G20. Also the G20 will be a Gen 4. I have a Gen 4 G21 and really like the looks and feel of the Gen 4. Plus I haven’t decided if I need MOS. The SA has the option for a RDS so I’m covered if I do decide to add one. I just haven’t read a lot on the SA and need some info on them. I am kind of familiar with the feel of the SA as I had one of their early XD .45s. I remember liking the feel of the gun. What is the reliability like with these in 10mm? Any concerns I should know about? Thanks in advance for your help.
Reactions: chuck73080
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

· Registered
1,363 Posts
I have a Gen 4 G21 and really like the looks and feel of the Gen 4.
The XD looks cool too.
I have a friend that has one in 9mm.
I've only shot it once.
However, you already own a large Glock.
You've shot it and are familiar with it.
The Glock 20 has been around longer. Tried and true.
The Glock 20 uses the same aftermarket accessories that go on your G21. Holsters,lights,sights.
I have the G20 gen4 and really like it. To the point that I carry it concealed daily. A little challenging at times but I make it work.
Whichever one you pick will ultimately be up to you though.
One more thing,welcome to 10mm goodness.

· "Cynical Little me"
7,532 Posts
I recently bought a G-29 and am happy with it. While Im used to big bores I still find it easy to shoot and have been carrying it in a strong side OWB rig or shoulder rig. I guess much depends on what you want to use it for. As Ive gotten older I prefer more compact carry weapons and the G29 fits the bill better then, say, my P220.

I love my P220, in fact Im going to take it out next range day, and carried it on the job for many years. But handguns like it are just far to heavy for me nowadays. The G29 gives me the power I want at a reduced weight and size.

I dont care what anyone says, and yes i do own and carry a lot of 9mm's and .380's, you still cant beat the punch of a big bore handgun.

· Registered
1,201 Posts
No experience with the SA but a boatload behind a G20-4. The G20 2-4 is about as reliable as gravity. 20-5 just landed. If inclined toward aftermarket items, probably more options with G. Bbls and RSA’s are among the most common. Best to handle both, ideally shoot.

A tangent for others considering a 10mm. SIG and S&W have had some hiccups with their initial series of striker-fired. Sure, some/many owners have had zero problems. Google for the gripes. SIG with their mags, ongoing. SW with feed, dropped mags, unsure of current status. Caveat emptor. I’d send a message via a return label if I had such problems. Why many await Gen2 without wrinkles.

· Registered
263 Posts
I waited forever for the G20 Gen 5 and finally gave up a few months early and picked up an M&P at a good price. I did so with some trepidations having heard all the tales of problems. But I have had none. I love the ergonomics of the M&P and mine is crazy accurate. I’ve run the gamut of ammo through it including some max loads from Underwood. All functioned perfectly and shot very accurately. I’m no longer sorry I didn’t wait for the Glock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
G21, Beretta M9, Remington 870, RIA T1897
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right now I am leaning towards the G20 because I’m very familiar with the platform but I’m going to the Sportsman Warehouse tomorrow and check out the SA. I wish I could shoot both but I don’t see that happening. Although I have thought about saying the heck with it and buying both. But I’m also wanting a new G19 so I need the money for that too.

· Registered
3,938 Posts
While you are familiar with the Glock platform, give the XDm Elite10 4.5 a shot. The META trigger is fantastic right from the box. They are accurate and soft shooting. While I like the Glock, the XDm fits my hand better, and if reloads are in the future, the barrel has no problem with lead. The 4.5 or 5.25 give you the option of a solid guide rod so you can change spring rates. It was suggested to me that I put a Wolff 20# recoil spring in it so I don't have to walk two states over to pick up brass. I believe the new Elites have 16 round mags. In fact I looked at a new one that came in a kit with 6 mags for about $659. Check out Powder River Precision for available accessories and upgrades.

· Registered
G21, Beretta M9, Remington 870, RIA T1897
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
While you are familiar with the Glock platform, give the XDm Elite10 4.5 a shot. The META trigger is fantastic right from the box. They are accurate and soft shooting. While I like the Glock, the XDm fits my hand better, and if reloads are in the future, the barrel has no problem with lead. The 4.5 or 5.25 give you the option of a solid guide rod so you can change spring rates. It was suggested to me that I put a Wolff 20# recoil spring in it so I don't have to walk two states over to pick up brass. I believe the new Elites have 16 round mags. In fact I looked at a new one that came in a kit with 6 mags for about $659. Check out Powder River Precision for available accessories and upgrades.
I am definitely considering it. I am going tomorrow to check it out in person. I just found a good holster for it which was one of my concerns. I’m looking at the 4.5 inch model in OD green which is a Sportsman’s Warehouse exclusive.

· Registered
3,938 Posts
Speaking of holsters, look at Victory Holsters. I looked at some this evening, though a bit pricey, they look well-made and have a lifetime warranty.

Reactions: Dwsuratt
1 - 20 of 80 Posts