Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
30,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a big hunk of data - probably 20 years of data collected from job sites. All kinds of stuff from surveying data to grounding readings to you-name-it. Right now it's on redundant platter drives but I'd like to make it cloud accessible. So I need something stable, easy to access, and economical (yeah, I know:))

Any ideas? I know it'll take a while to upload, so a seeding service would be nice.

Thanks for suggestions, even physically impossible ones.

·
USMC 8531
2,574 Posts
What about setting up a NAS that you could access over the net. That way you still control it all. I run one of these. https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DS418

You can set it up as "cloud" storage but don't have to trust others with it.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I have a small external 2 TB hard drive attached with Velcro to the lid of my Laptop. I use an Apple Macbook pro. In another room I have a 3 TB "Airport Extreme". Everything from the 1 TB built into laptop and the external 2TB is automatically backed up in the background via "Time Machine." I have been doing this for about six years. I have never used "Cloud" storage.

·
Registered
27,992 Posts
I have a big hunk of data - probably 20 years of data collected from job sites. All kinds of stuff from surveying data to grounding readings to you-name-it. Right now it's on redundant platter drives but I'd like to make it cloud accessible. So I need something stable, easy to access, and economical (yeah, I know:))

Any ideas? I know it'll take a while to upload, so a seeding service would be nice.

Thanks for suggestions, even physically impossible ones.
First question is what you consider economical... that's a different answer for every individual and makes it difficult to give a good answer...

Amazon seems to be a decent option, with prices that could range from 15-70 dollars, depending on your access needs..

Personally... I'd be tempted to just build my own NAS and do this (I'm not a fan of Synology's, but that would work as well).

·
NRA Life Member
5,409 Posts
How secure do you want it to be? Will you have ramifications if any intellectual or PII (Personally Identifiable Information) is accessed and shared without your knowledge? Clouds are not THAT secure, or 100% accessible after all...

"Convenient" isn't always secure, neither is "inexpensive"...

Job sites and resulting data may or may not be considered "sensitive".

I'm with the others - Keep it in your hands unless there is come compelling reason you NEED it on the cloud.

And... what happens when you stop paying the bill for the storage?

External USB 3.0 drive caddy is what I use, and the most critical drives are in the fireproof safe - Bout 6ea 3TB drives.

That pile of drives will keep the children and grandchildren busy for a while!
:)

Good Luck with the decision...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just saw a 2TB external storage (about size of pack of cigarettes) USB 2.0 and 3.0 compatible at Sams Club- $74

·
3,257 Posts
if you have a gmail account, upgrade that, and you get unlimited storage on the google drive, and it's accessible from anywhere you can get on the net

·
Friends Call Me "Flash"
5,236 Posts
Been farting around with computers for several decades and from the very first, stored nothing but programs on my computers. All sensitive information is stored on stand alone hard drives which spend most of their lives disconnected and powered down. When I need some data, I access the hard drive, then shut it down again.

I've survived several hacks, some virus attacks and a few computer crashes. So far, that data has remained secure.

That system has worked for me for a long time! Truth be told, I have lots of rifle match pictures, motorcycle trips and wild flowers. It's not a big draw for hackers!

Flash

·
Previously iamivanwilliams
77 Posts
I recommend Box (i.e. Box.com). At least you have:
  1. MFA (Multifactor Authentication)
  2. 100 editions of each file (if it was ever damaged, etcetera)
  3. accessible from ANY device (via an app, or a web browser)
  4. History details of who/what/when edited the file(s)
  5. secure sharing options with others
Cost might be a deciding factor.

·
NRA Life Member
5,409 Posts
And... keep in mind that uploading or pulling down 2TB of data from an internet storage site could take.... Quite some time!

It's not like they will allow you to use the FULL bandwidth available at both ends of the connection.

Even if you have FIOS or 100mbps internet, the cloud storage vendor will throttle their end, trust me on that.

And if you pass away, and the $$$ isn't paying the storage, where does your data that you spent so much to protect end up? Are your children or other survivors ready to foot the bill for 30 to 90 days as your data downloads from the cloud storage provider?

Keeping it local on multiple $50 to $80 hard drives is pretty inexpensive for me...

Good luck on the decision!

·
Previously iamivanwilliams
77 Posts
Good point, especially if you have a local NAS. Alas, with that method, there is no backup of the backup

And... keep in mind that uploading or pulling down 2TB of data from an internet storage site could take.... Quite some time!

It's not like they will allow you to use the FULL bandwidth available at both ends of the connection.

Even if you have FIOS or 100mbps internet, the cloud storage vendor will throttle their end, trust me on that.

And if you pass away, and the $$$ isn't paying the storage, where does your data that you spent so much to protect end up? Are your children or other survivors ready to foot the bill for 30 to 90 days as your data downloads from the cloud storage provider?

Keeping it local on multiple $50 to $80 hard drives is pretty inexpensive for me...

Good luck on the decision!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
NRA Life Member
5,409 Posts
Good point, especially if you have a local NAS. Alas, with that method, there is no backup of the backup Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No NAS required, just a 3TB drive in a USB 3 or E-SATA drive caddy or dock station, and after a month buy another 3TB drive and swap the drives out month after a month.... and in the mean time, if you are on GlockTalk you *most likely* have a fire proof safe... :)

I currently have 5ea 3TB drives in rotation.

·
Registered
19,812 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
5,409 Posts
I rotate among 6 drives... all 3TB these days. Change em out once a month or so.

Just dropped one Friday, and it's dead, dead, dead... {sigh}

Thanks goodness drive prices are down a bit... (LOL)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.