Where were you when....?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by 292992, Jun 2, 2020.

1. 292992

292992 Guest

This is just the military veteran in me speaking, and I’m not speaking to prior servicemen or women but please feel free to chime in.

With the current situation going on in America at the moment I’ve been reading comments on several platforms about how 2A Patriotic Americans are ready to fire upon rioters and looters blah blah blah....My question is where was this same energy when America needed military personnel down range in Afghanistan and Iraq years ago?

Just a little question, nothing to get bent out of shape over, I’m just curious. Carry on

2. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

I was too old to join before 9/11 ever happened.
    But I certainly appreciate those who joined up to make someone pay for it.

3. John_AZ

John_AZ

The energy was the same. A bunch of people sat around talking about fighting terrorists too. But never did anything about it.

Jarine88, ScarFace88 and orangejeep06 like this.
  4. Redeemed

Redeemed

On the day it started? I was on duty at the firehouse watching the events unfold that killed 343 of our Brothers. Being 15 years into that career I was already too old and broken to enlist. But I wanted to!

5. Glockbug

Glockbug Essential Deplorable

I haven't heard about any shortage of troops for those 2 wars. Was there a shortage?

rock_castle likes this.
  6. 292992

292992 Guest

With all do respect sir I understand if you were too old, that’s highly understandable. I’m talking specifically talking to these “trigger” happy Americans.

7. 292992

292992 Guest

No shortage, but if people claim to be so patriotic and love this country so much then why not serve if your perfectly capable. When it started I was in high school and I made a promise that when I graduated I was going to avenge my fellow citizens, so I did just that.

8. 292992

292992 Guest

I believe your sir, and I have the upmost respect for firemen, you guys are some real heroes yourself, had a relative that was a fireman, past away on duty.

9. 292992

292992 Guest

I feel like if your willing to fire upon an another American who’s doing acts of terrorism, then you should be willing to fire upon foreign terrorist too. Agree?

10. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I don't think it makes you "Trigger Happy" to be willing to defend your life or the lives of your loved ones against any one person or group of people who threaten you.

And I was too old after 911 but I remember talking to other vets my age at the VA hospital a couple of days later and we all said how much we would have liked to have been reactivated to serve in any capacity.

Current Resident and Mtnfolk75 like this.
  11. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
    I was in Afganistan

Glolt20-91 and Jarine88 like this.
  12. 292992

292992 Guest

I respect where you’re coming from, but when those are bragging about what they have to shoot with then I call it trigger happy.

13. jr24

jr24

I try not to talk big but I honestly do regret, a bit, not serving. I had made a deal after applying to the big college and getting wait listed, if I didn't hear by a certain time I was heading to the recruiter.

True story, my acceptance letter came 3 days before my deadline.

As I said I still feel some guilt letting my buddies go without me, even after (or possibly especially after) seeing the condition they came back in, thankfully they all came back.

Then I started a family and as much as I love my country, my wife and kids are my #1 priority.

Would I get trigger happy to protect them, I think so, but I hope I'll never have to find out. We moved out in the middle of nowhere for a reason :)

14. John_AZ

John_AZ

everyone talks a big game. Not many people take any kind of action. Not just on matters like this.

15. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

I was too old to join too.

16. A45acp1911

A45acp1911

Respectfully, how is this even a question? Because I had things to do here, so I couldn't go there, but now things are happening here. Because the need to defend my house and neighborhood and family seems more immediate. The situations are so dissimilar it doesn't make sense to compare them. You may as well ask "why do you like to eat steak when you don't like race cars?"

slym2none likes this.
  17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I don't recall that being a problem. People volunteered and we met or exceeded all recruiting goals, even at the peak.

A lot of the people you are hearing from have been to Iraq and/or Afghanistan.

rock_castle likes this.
  18. bac1023

bac1023

Kind of apples and oranges.

I think if terrorists were breaking into their homes or looting their businesses, the response may have been different.

Hoochrunners, Clips N Glock and Cambo like this.
  19. rock_castle

rock_castle All Lives Matter

That's what I was thinking too. Were we shorthanded? I sure hadn't heard that before. I don't get the point of this thread. Seems pretty lame.

20. gunowner1

gunowner1

I was 21 when Desert Storm hit. I had no desire then or now to go to war. If I had been drafted I would have went but it wasn't necessary. The military isn't for everyone. It wasn't for me.

slym2none likes this.