Where to stay in Maui?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by elgoatropo, Oct 28, 2010.

1. elgoatropo

elgoatropo

Folks - I am taking my bride to Maui for a second honeymoon since she has managed to tolerate me for the last 12 years.

Anyone who knows the place, can you give me the straight poop on which areas to avoid and where we should stay? My wife, like all women, hates being cold, so I am wondering if we should avoid the north shore.

We will be doing lots of beach lounging, restauranting, some snorkeling, little body boarding, maybe rent a motorbike and drive around looking like tourists, like to get a ride in the biplane, and do a few short hikes. We will be there 10 days. I also heard you can rent a skiff and snorkel a reef.

Mahalo!

2. oceanwarrior

oceanwarrior

Kihei on the west side.

Not as pricy as Lahaina,less crowded,loads of places to eat.
    Easy to get around to Lahaina and Wailuku,Maalaea boat harbor is close(check out the Maui Ocean Center,great aquarium).

I like to stay at the Maui Coast Hotel in Kihei,nice place
    www.mauicoasthotel.com

oceanwarrior

3. GamerGirl

GamerGirl 100% Relevant

We stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani in Wileia.

4. Rutha73

Rutha73

I like the Ka'anapali area, Whalers Village is right there with shops and restraunts. Lahina is pretty close too. And don't forget to go to the Plantation House at Kapalua for drinks and dinner around sunset! I thought that place was great when we went last year.

5. Santa CruZin

Santa CruZin Searching

I've stayed in ocean front suites at the Hyatt Regency in Kaanapali. The resort is immaculate; they have over $1M in artwork in and around the center atrium, which is also filled with tropical birds. Swan Court - voted one of the top 10 most romantic restaurants in the world - is located there. The Weeping Banyan bar off the main atrium is built over a pond stocked with about a hundred mature Koi.

Just stay AWAY from the "Luaus" put on by the resorts in Kaanapali. They're so terrible that I feel sorry for the performers. The Old Lahaina Luau is a safe bet.

6. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

Four Seasons, Wailea.

7. Santa CruZin

Santa CruZin Searching

If you enjoy golf, you'll like the Plantation course at Kapalua, next to the Ritz Carlton north of Kaanapali. The Ritz is worth walking through (nice place to stay too).

Sunshine Helicopters offers great tours of the islands and you should be able to charter your own piloted bird (I've done it, but it was some time ago). I spent time on the phone getting the various tour companies to compete for my business before choosing Sunshine.

8. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

how much money do u have??

we stayed at maui banyan...nice..
    and i second sun shine helicoptor...

sunrise tour...make sure you bring a coat and you can ride a bike back down the mountain..when we did it it snowed..:shocked:
    :wavey:
    the last time we went to maui the airlines where having a air fare war..it cost us 50 bucks to hop on a plane and spend the day at pearlharbor..
    :cool:

9. AZ DBLTRBL

AZ DBLTRBL Out Of Order CLM

We stayed at The Westin, Ka'anapali. It was fabulous.

10. Glock30fan

Glock30fan Cmbt Tupperware

Another vote for the Hyatt. Stayed there about 20 years ago and it was great!

11. Kozel

Kozel

I stayed in Kaanapali Beach Hotel. It is cheaper one but on the same beach with all the fancier hotels. My wife and daughter went into all the fancy hotel's pools and nobody ever kicked them out.

It is short walk from Whaler’s Village too if you have money to spend.

Why Maui though. So crowded! I prefer Big Island. I went there four times so far. Best deal Is Waikaloa Hilton right now. Beautiful resort. Federal Reserve now owns it and rents out rooms for super cheap. This year we paid $78 per night for, normally $250 room.

More things to do on Big island. Volcano, Mauna Kea, for the price of short walk you can find a beach all to yourself..

12. CAcop

CAcop

Buy Maui Revealed.

This is their website where they have reviews of all the places to stay. http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mauaerials.html

Kaanapali is pretty touristy but it has a wide range of choices. Up near Napili it is windy and maybe a bit too cold. Lahaina is cool if you want to be where the action is. Kehei is a great regular person kind of place to stay. It is centrally located so it makes it nice to explore. Wailea is't too bad either, it is kind of the Kaanapali of the east side.

Don't feel like you have to stay in one spot either. The wife and I want to go again but spread it around. Say 2 days Kehei, 2 days Lanai City (on Lanai), 2 days Hana, maybe 2 days Kaanapali. Yes it is a lot of moving but we pack light and value not having to drive much. Not that there is a whole lot of distance to cover oon the island but if you spend 2 hours or more in the car driving somehwere and back that is 2 hours less you have to explore.

Even if your wife gets cold the coldest it gets in Maui by the ocean is 70 degrees in the winter. My aunt lives there and throws on a sweatshirt at that temp. Me that is 10 degrees after I take my sweatshirt off. If you go up to Haleakela is will be 20-30 degrees cooler.

As for snorkeling go to Black Rock at the Westin in Kaanapali. Park over in Whalers Village and walk along the beach to get to it.

13. sharp

sharp

I'm staying at the Hyatt Regency at the end of Nov. through the first week of Dec. When are you going?

14. elgoatropo

elgoatropo

Jan 31. Make sure and leave me some oysters.

15. capnjim01

capnjim01

+1 on Kihei. eat at FREDS great burrito and really cold beer.

16. elgoatropo

elgoatropo

I would like to pay less that 150/ night since we will be there ten days, and plan to do a lot of exploring as opposed to hotel-lounging. Banyan looks a little rich for my blood.

17. elgoatropo

elgoatropo

Thanks for all the good info, folks. One more question:

In Feb, will it be too cold to use the pools in the evening? We are down to a couple condos with either a spa or a pool, and I don't think we'll be around too much during the day, so I'm guessing the spa might be preferable.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  18. RDW

RDW BTDT

Hyatt Regency in Kaanapali.

19. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

when we went we got a package deal..from phila to atl then san fran to maui..we got a car, stay and airfare for 10 days..less then 3000.00
    we called maui banyan and to the web site and did it on line..give it a shot, you never know.
    :wavey:
    bob