close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where to start...

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by sbstudley, Oct 30, 2006.

1. sbstudley

sbstudley

I am 46 yrs old out of shape (5'10" 175#) and I need some help to get things turned around in the right direction.I don't have a clue where to start exercising or diet I just know that I don't want to be tired and I feel like I am losing rang of motion (It is difficult to bend over to tie my shoes)
    Thanks for any information you might have.

SB

2. DBradD

DBradD

Do you have a particular type of exercise that you enjoy or have enjoyed in the past?

Also, your proportions seem fine, so is the problem just lack of conditioning, flexibility, and muscle tone?

3. sbstudley

sbstudley

I have had exercise routines in the past walking, weight lifting and such but I have been pretty non-active as far as cardio goes. I did some stretching this a.m. and it felt pretty good. I will try to make a habit of it. I kept a record of what I have been eating today. I think this helps but it makes me hungry. I eat good food and take vitimins.

SB

4. DBradD

DBradD

As for exercise, you could start with simple calisthenics, keep researching, and decide what to do long term. We don't know enough about your preferences to suggest anything other than our own pet programs, which might not be in your best interest.

The following is one idea just to get you started:

Pull-ups
    Pushups
    Toe-touches (just bend over and make an attempt at touching your toes with knees slightly bent, take it easy and don't go to extreme pain)
    Situps or leg lifts
    Squats

Do a sub-maximal (maybe 50-75% of how many reps that you can do) set of each exercise, one right after the other, with a very short rest in between. Work through that circuit 3 times. Try this about 3x per week for a month or two and see if you feel any better. One cool thing about this startup idea is that it'll take less than 30 minutes.

At least two of us are currently doing CrossFit www.crossfit.com , so it might be worth a shot. I've read folks recommend starting with the official CF warmup (look in their FAQ section) for a while as a start.

For diet, we have lots of threads in this forum that deal with that ad nauseam, so I recommend that you dig through them.

Good luck. I hope you hang around the H&F Forum. There are some really helpful and knowledgeable folks here, IMO. I've learned A LOT since I've been reading it.

DBD

5. sbstudley

sbstudley

I feel as though I had a successful day in that I was able to do my short morning routine of stretching and sit ups and track my eating habits. I think I will incorporate doing my routine 3X.
    I am on the tail end of a cold I caught last week but my stomach has been feeling uncomfortable like maybe I need to watch my intake of oils and fats.

I will continue to visit this forum and read back posts for diet recommendations.

SB