Where to start?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Bigmike75, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Bigmike75

Bigmike75

I haven’t reloaded a day one in my life. I’m interested in getting start, but I haven’t got a clue one where to start. I know that I want to buy a progressive press, but I’m not sure which route to go. The majority of my reloading will be for pistol practice. Once, I master progressive reloading. I will venture into precision reloading and round development with an Old Rock Chucker that my father no longer uses. These rounds will be for hunting purposes.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    Where do I start? What all is needed? It seems like every loader has something that the other loader doesn’t. Since I have never loaded before, it’s all foreign to me!
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I don’t want to buy something that I will regret later. I’m really leaning towards a Dillion XL650.

2. fredj338

fredj338

If you alreadt hafe a RC, use that to learn the ropes of reloading. Yes it is slow, but all you'll need is dies & a shell holder if you already have the other gear. Read the stickies above. Buy & READ The ABCs of Reloading. You'll have a much better idea of where you need to go.

3. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I was in the same position as you this time last year or so. Did a lot of research, then found this series of videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRZrbv_8kx4&feature=related
    There are 5 of them, 10 minutes each. While the title mentions Dillon 550, much of the early video is all the "background" of the stuff you need. He then proceeds how to setup the press, then starts off basically using it as a single station press.

Seeing these videos convinced me that it was something I could do. I bought a 550B (but the 650 is great, I almost wish I'd bought one), but I still think you can learn alot.

Maybe buy the "ABCs of Reloading" and read that as well, then just do some Googling.

I've produced an easy 10,000 rounds just since July (took awhile to get primers), I shoot 2000 rounds a month or so.

If you're going to do it, go ahead and get an order in to Powder Valley for your primers. I'd buy 10,000 (20,000 would be even better), so the HAZMAT fee doesn't jack up your cost. Bullets are prevalent and powder is mostly okay... primers are still "the holdup".

Do it, you'll be glad you did.

4. n2extrm

n2extrm

bigmike

Fred is giving you some good advice here. There is nothing wrong with the RC it is a good solid press. It maybe a little slow in production but it will produce fine amo and you already have it. It is a good place to learn.

Colorado4wheel has made a great thread on how to get started right here.

https://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1027887

He took alot of time to go into the presses and what they are all about. I would check it out. Buy a couple of reloading manuals and read them. The ABC as fred said, Lyman and Hornady are all good. Then come back and ask some questions.

5. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Why do you want a progressive for making hunting rounds?

6. Bigmike75

Bigmike75

Intent was to use the Single Stage Rock Chucker for hunting rounds. I have been reading your thread. GREAT INFO - Thanks!

7. dudel

dudel

+1 Fred hit the nail on the head. You've got a perfectly good press use it. The dies will move over to whatever press you end up getting to supplement the RC. Get Lee dies, and you get the shellholder at no additional cost. If you have a scale, check it. If it's been sitting idle for a while check the knife edges and the beam axle. They can corrode and play havoc with reading. If you don't have one get one. If you need a powder measure, get a Dillon. It can be used with most any press out there (LCT being the only exception I can think of). If you do end up with a 650, then an extra powder dump is very handy or order the 650 "naked" (without dump) and save the money on the dump.

GET the ABCs book and read it a few times. That will give you a better idea of what you need (and don't need).

No need to go fast when you're just learning. Easier to make mistakes and you won't even recognize you've made them. It's easier to pull projectiles from 20 rounds than from 100. Lots of ammo has been produced on RCs.

8. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I reread you original post. What pistol are you wanting to load for and how much do you shoot. Are you a competative shooter?

9. Bigmike75

Bigmike75

I'm a LEO and shoot mostly 40 S&W (duty weapon Glock 22). However, I do shoot a large amount of 45ACP also. I am not a competitive shooter, but hope to join the local shooting club eventually.

10. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Your just going to have to decide on budget vs speed vs color. I think the 650 with a casefeeder is a no brainer IF you want a casefeeder. LnL or 550 wtih out the casefeeder. LnL if your a little on the fence about the casefeeder and don't mind a little more fiddle factor for the reduced cost (it's not bad). 550 if you like utter simplicity and decent speed. LnL has the cheapest caliber conversions as well.

11. JesseCJC

JesseCJC

For what it's worth, on my Hornady lock and load I can swap from loading 45acp to 10mm in 2 minutes. Just a 1/4 turn to remove the dies, never have to adjust anything other than the powder measure once the dies are set and like any good manufacturer Hornady is extremely helpful and stands behind their product