Glock Talk banner

Where to send my G17 for a fitted Bar-Sto bbl and new sights?

618 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  DannyR
Just like the topic says. My G17 is the one Glock I like to mess around with. So far I have the slide hard chromed, stainless recoil rod, 3.5 connector, and .25 cent trigger job.

I'd like to get an extended Bar-Sto barrel fitted, and swap out the Trijicons for a set of TFO TruGlos, Novaks, or maybe something else (still looking).

I know that Lone Wolf does this sort of work, but they don't offer Bar-Sto barrels. Where else would you trust to work on your Glock?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
I'm glad to hear you asking the guestion about the Barrel fitting!
Not every gunsmith is qualified to do this. Some can do more harm than good.

This would be a good place to start!

http://www.custom-glock.com/index2.html
or
www.barsto.com
I emailed Bar-Sto, thanks for the link. I imagine that nobody knows how to fit a Bar-Sto barrel like they do, plus I can drive there in under 2 hours.
Wise choice SVTNate!

Barsto is as good as it gets!
I have 3 1911 pistols and 2 Glocks with Barsto barrels!
We can do it for you as well as Barsto.
G
First of all you need to ask yourself why do you need an aftermarket barrel. Does your shooting ability exceed the accuracy capability of the stock barrel? I suspect it does not.
A "hard fitted" Bar-Sto is no more accurate than a drop in $89 Lone Wolf barrel. I would guess a gunsmith fitted Bar-Sto barrel would be well over $200.
All the "bling" in the world will not make you a better shooter. You would be better served to buy more practice ammo. If you get to the point, after thousands of rounds of practice ammo, where you can out shoot the stock barrel then by all means buy an aftermarket one.
I doubt that day will ever come.
I agree with Joe D - replacement barrels in most handguns are a very common waste of a lot of money. $200 worth of ammo will improve your shooting a lot more than a $200 barrel.
Here's where a new barrel replacment is not necessary:
- shooting about a couple hundred rounds a month
- you use factory ammo or commercial reloads
- your marksmanship skills yields groupings of 8" or larger @ 25 yards (hand-held).

The benefits of a properly fitted, match barrel come into play when:
- you shoot close to 1K rounds or more a month
- reload to optimize accuracy and/or competition requirements
- you are attempting to load beyond the standard factory specifications (Major 9) and need the assurance of additional case support
- you can regularly shoot groups 4" or less @ 25 yards

With this said, marksmanship performance is still up to the indian, not his arrows.
Originally posted by fatcat01
The benefits of a properly fitted, match barrel come into play when:
- you shoot close to 1K rounds or more a month
- reload to optimize accuracy and/or competition requirements
- you are attempting to load beyond the standard factory specifications (Major 9) and need the assurance of additional case support
- you can regularly shoot groups 4" or less @ 25 yards
[/B]
You can do all of those things with a stock Glock - for the 25 yard accuracy, you would gain a lot more from trigger work or training than from a barrel. 4" at 25 yards isn't the test, since the stock gun's mechanical accuracy is easily equal to or better than that - you only gain significantly from an accurized gun when you shooting ability exceeds what the gun is capable of doing.
The main advantage of a properly fit, high quality match grade barrel is the ability to maximize the mechnical accuracy potential of a given pistol. How much, if any, improvement depends on how well your pistol was fit at the factory. It is possible to get very good accuracy out of a stock pistol, but since productions gun are built on an assembly line, it is also possible to get one that has poor accuracy.

We regularly get Glock 17's to shoot at about 1"-1.5" for 5 shot groups at 25 yards. If your stock pistol will already do that then there isn't much reason to spend the money on hand fitting a match barrel. If it won't, and you want that level of accuracy, then the money is well spent.

Please keep in mind that buying a good barrel is only part of it, the fitting is at least, if not more, as important in getting the results you want.
Originally posted by SVTNate

I'd like to get an extended Bar-Sto barrel fitted
Why an extended barrel? Unless you are planning on installing a compensator, I just can't fathom why one would prefer their barrel hang out further than necessary from the slide.
Oh, but it's just simply so cool!:supergrin:
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.