close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where to purchase new computer?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by cmbb, Feb 19, 2007.

1. cmbb

cmbb

Gentlemen; I will be purchasing a new computer.Most likely a desktop but would consider a laptop with a bigger monitor for home usage. Nothing elaborate, just internet usage and a few programs Quicken, Word etc.

I am thinking of going with a Dell? Any other suggestions or is this ok?

Thanks

2. BilltheCat

BilltheCat Quieter Cat Millennium Member

I have had Dell and wouldnt go back myself. I have heard these pirates here say that Gateway had the better deal now. But I use a Mac (www.apple.com) so what do I know?

:tongueout:

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

First, if you don't plan to use the portability of a laptop, I wouldn't recommend it. You'll pay an arm and a leg for a nice, big screen, laptop, when compared to a comparable desktop.

Build it yourself, or Go to a local PC shop that has a good reputation, and have them build you one(or buy a Display model they have built). None of the "big box" stores sell anything good anymore, most PC manufacturers are producing nothing but crap (I actually have a 1.5yr old HP sitting 10ft away from me I have to figure out whats wrong with it at some point)

Gateway, Dell, HP.. None of them are very good.. EMachines is absolute junk. You'll be throwing the dice with any of the junk out there nowdays.

IGF

4. cmbb

cmbb

Thanks guys; My current computer is running Win 98. There is a local computer guy that I would trust. Actually he built the one I have now, which is about 6 years or so old.

Do you have a recommendations for components, speed, memory etc?

Thanks guys!

5. chbix

chbix

Really any P4 running around 3ghz I would think would be more than enough! An equivalant AMD process will also work. They have newer core 2 duos that are just fine on the lower end for what you want.
    If your not doing serious gaming or intense audio/video editing then it would be more than enough. I would look for a cpu/mobo combo to match it up, you can usually save some money as well. Go with the one that has the features you like. I would look for onboard sound, and NIC. Personally I stray away from onboard video cards as I play some games that need a better video card. But thats all opinion anyway

I would say get 1 gigabyte of ram.

And a 60-100gb harddrive can be had for relatively cheap.

A CDRW or DVD RW to make your own CD or DVD's is almost standard now.

For power supplies i would go at least a 500 watt ps, just to be safe and have more than enough power.

Cases are all based on what you want, standard black or the cool futuristic looking ones.

There are a few other little things that really dont matter what you get. i would say make sure you buy an extra fan or 2 to put it in. lack of cooling can kill a system quick!!

It didnt sound like you were looking to build your own but not sure.

Best Buy or circuit City has ready to go systems, some with some without monitors starting at around $500, which I think would be fine if your not getting to crazy.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

If he built your current system, and you've gotten 6yrs of reliable use out of it, I'd say take whatever recommendation he makes.

Personally, I like AMD processors over Intel, but nowdays, its strictly preference, it used to be Intel smoked comparable AMDs in performance, but now the gap is so narrow, most people won't notice a huge difference.

Monstrous hard drives are cheap nowadays. I've got a 250gig Western Digital that I think I paid 130 for. I'd go at least 150gigs, especially if you plan on using Vista.

1gig of Ram, and DVDR are almost 100% standard, and are generally inexpensive.

Power supplies, I think this is an often overlooked, but extremely important, component. These power supplies that are so light you can juggle with them, are a joke. Antec is really the best, most reliable one there is. I did put a 420watt Dynex(Best Buy's brand) Power supply in my sisters PC that I built about 2yrs ago, and its still going strong. One thing for sure, if you get a case with a powersupply, you're most likely just gonna throw the powersupply away.

IGF

7. cmbb

cmbb

Thanks guys! It gives me something to shop around with. I will talk to the local guy also.
    I would like to build my own but at the moment just don't have the time. Work, two kids in college and trying to remodel the house keeps me fairly busy.

8. Glocker424

Glocker424

You can build your own computer in less then an hour.

9. cmbb

cmbb

G424;
    Give me a little more insight on the build process. Is it much of a money savings over finding a sale at, say, Circuit City or similar?

Thanks

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

You won't save much money, but you will have a 100x better PC better than what you'd get for the same price at CC/Best Buy/CompUSA, etc..

Almost any issue of PCUpgrade will take you throught he build process, its pretty easy.

IGF

11. Darkmage

Darkmage

I would qualify that by saying that you will get a lot more machine for a given amount of money if you build it yourself. How much better really depends on your budget. The more expensive the machine, the more money you will save over a company such as Dell or Alienware.

On the low end, where you just want to surf the web and use MSOffice, you can't beat Dell and Gateway. The discounts they get for volume purchases are unbeatable. For a baseline system, go with a box.

However, as you progress up Dell's price & performance ladder, you can save money by purchasing the same components yourself via Newegg and building it yourself. Eventually, you'll get to the point where you'll beat Dell's highest available system, because they don't offer the absolute TOTL components (although... they've been better about that recently). There is also the miscellaneous stuff that Dell doesn't offer, such as a Ideazon Merc keyboard or a watercooling system for video cards. God help you if you want phase change... but I digress.

The benefits increase as the price increases. AS do the savings, but we're still talking about multi-thousand dollar computers.

12. Glocker424

Glocker424

If you would like a idea of how to build a computer watch this video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVJ5ZEbf6F4

It goes through every part thats needed and how to install it. But if your good with tools and putting things together you don't even need the video. For me I work on cars and different things so I'm very good with tools and putting things together.

13. cmbb

cmbb

Thanks guys; I will probably put one together after I finish remodeling the kitchen, only 2 more cabinets and the island to make from rock maple. Just finished all the sheet rock and replaced most all of the wiring and devices. in 2 years I should be finished with my night courses for my journeymans license. Then I can put the floor down and start finishing the basement. In between I get to work on my daughters 96 blazer, replace front end, ball joints , tie rod ends etc. and finished putting the transmission in my pickup. If the 1954 John Deere tractor holds together I will have 5000 board feet of logs cut to go to the mill before Easter. Oh, almost forgot the 12 hour work days at work, plus every other weekend to fill in at work. Probably MS Vista will be obsolete before I finish, but heck, No better time to start than now!
    Thanks to you guys I get something to fill in my spare time. :)

14. elderboy02

elderboy02 Cincy Glocker

I am a computer programmer and I HIGHLY recommend Dells. They are extremely reliable. DON'T buy a HP.

15. cmbb

cmbb

Elderboy; Why is that so? Does HP use lesser quality parts than Dell does? I have no idea. Though I have heard to stay away from HP from other sources. Thanks

16. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You don't get out much do you?

IGF

17. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

a.) If you buy a Dell, and you don't buy a "business class" system, it will come with Vista.
    b.) If you buy a Dell, and you don't buy a "business class" system, it will come with pre-insatlled adware (this is why they are able to sell them cheaper).
    c.) I've never heard a programmer refer to himself as a 'computer programmer' - that's just weird.
    d.) I work for a company that also happens to be an authorized resaler of Dells, and I wouldn't recommend them.

My advice:
    either build it yourself (post the parts you plan on buying here, so we can make sure you've got everything, and it's all compatible), or get a local reputable person to build one for you.

18. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I'm tempted to say "no, all of that stuff comes from the same factories," but I can promise you that I'll die a happy man if I never have to figure out how to open another HP computer case.

I like their printers, scanners, etc, but would avoid them when buying a new system. They seem to have the worst reputation for putting the most adware on systems they build.

19. jmatteau

jmatteau

This is my first post on my new laptop from CompUSA. Just got it this morning, Toshiba Sattelite. I love it, replaced my 5 year old Toshiba which by the way is still running strong, just upgrading.

20. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

I have had very good luck with Dells. If you get a laptop make sure you get a docking station so you don't have to worry about plugging in all the components when you bring it back home/office. Dell has great deals on flat panel displays (sometimes free) with their pcs and laptops.