Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having serious problems finding any .45 GAP ammo locally. I'm assuming many of you are experiencing the same.

Where do you guys place your orders for (a) range practice ammo and (b) defense ammo? Sad to say, but price is a major consideration for me. I like to get lots of practice, but at the current ammo prices, I don't know to do that.

·
GAP'r
940 Posts
I've fired over 1500 rounds of Georgia Arms ammo. It is very accurate but rather low powered. Great for practice but will not give you the same recoil feel of defense ammo. It is great for target shooting though!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I just checked, midway has a bunch, cheapest is $25.99 , they had mag tech 230 gr hollowpoints for $19 but they on back order

·
Combat Diver
3,615 Posts
I would go to your LGS and tell them you have a GAP Pistol. Many wholesalers have the ammo and cannot sell it. Ask him to keep some in the store or perhaps to make you a deal on a case.

I reload all of my range ammo, but found 2 cases of Speer GDHP for $425 a case. Thats about $21 a box for what I feel is the best defense load on the street.

SAVE YOUR BRASS. Reloading the GAP is easy. I cannot remember the last box of range ammo I paid for.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would go to your LGS and tell them you have a GAP Pistol. Many wholesalers have the ammo and cannot sell it. Ask him to keep some in the store or perhaps to make you a deal on a case.

I reload all of my range ammo, but found 2 cases of Speer GDHP for $425 a case. Thats about $21 a box for what I feel is the best defense load on the street.

SAVE YOUR BRASS. Reloading the GAP is easy. I cannot remember the last box of range ammo I paid for.
Seems like the Speer GDHP is out of stock everywhere I checked. Looks like this is a discontinued item.

I've tried what you suggested -- talking to the local stores. Problem is that in my (major metropolitan) area shelf space is very expensive, and they can't justify keeping slow moving merchandize when it has to compete for space with something that's selling faster. (They are willing to order it, but I'd can do that myself).

I'm looking into the reloading option.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've fired over 1500 rounds of Georgia Arms ammo. It is very accurate but rather low powered. Great for practice but will not give you the same recoil feel of defense ammo. It is great for target shooting though!
Good to know. The price is very good! How's the quality overall? Any split cases or bad primers?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Outdoor Unlimited has GAP for 38 cents per round right now per ammoseek.com

I got most of my GAP ammo from Outdoors Unlimited over 10 years ago and have reloaded it too many times to count. The availability of GAP ammo has never been very good in the Atlanta area - the internet is your friend. The other alternative is to reload. I have a 2 year supply of loaded range ammo and enough brass to last the next 50 years.

·
Combat Diver
3,615 Posts
Seems like the Speer GDHP is out of stock everywhere I checked. Looks like this is a discontinued item.

I've tried what you suggested -- talking to the local stores. Problem is that in my (major metropolitan) area shelf space is very expensive, and they can't justify keeping slow moving merchandize when it has to compete for space with something that's selling faster. (They are willing to order it, but I'd can do that myself).

I'm looking into the reloading option.
Are you able to order it online? I highly recommend reloading, either way. Here is a decent price, just under $19 a box

·
Immoderate
141 Posts
I use ammoseek.com to find ammo in stock and best price.

Reactions: Turn4811

·
Immoderate
141 Posts
Switch to a common caliber instead of a boutique round.
That's a strange thing to recommend in this particular subforum. I bet you're fun at parties.

Reactions: tgclark

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
The best deal I ever got on 45 GAP was from a guy who thought he was buying 500 rounds of ACP brass. He thought he had got a good deal on ACP till he got home and read the boxes more closely. The place he got it from wouldn't do refunds on ammo and I got a good deal on it.

I haven't shot a single round of it yet. I got a deal on two five gallon buckets of GAP brass and it's going to be awhile before it gets worn out.

·
Combat Diver
3,615 Posts
The best deal I ever got on 45 GAP was from a guy who thought he was buying 500 rounds of ACP brass. He thought he had got a good deal on ACP till he got home and read the boxes more closely. The place he got it from wouldn't do refunds on ammo and I got a good deal on it.

I haven't shot a single round of it yet. I got a deal on two five gallon buckets of GAP brass and it's going to be awhile before it gets worn out.
I am oh so close to 10 gallons myself. I bought about 1200 rds from a guy here on GT and he sent me a note and asked if I wanted it all for another $100. He ended up sending me almost 4500 rds of brass. I sent him a PM telling him I think I owed him more $. He said "Yea, I know send me $400..." I replied that I thought that was a bit high, he sent a return that he was joking and thanked me for the offer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.