close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where to meet?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by mdfd, Mar 26, 2010.

1. mdfd

mdfd

I am in the process of selling a handgun locally. Buyer is across town and wants to meet halfway.

Question is, what types of places are best for these types of transactions? I originally suggested a Gun shop/range that I was familiar with in my area, but it is not halfway between us. Shall I look up another gun shop (that I am unfamiliar with) that is halfway between us? The gunshop that I am familiar with is fairly friendly to me and I am sure they would not mind me doing the transaction there. However, I'm not sure that would be the case with a gunsop I do not frequent....Are gunshops typically tolerant of folks selling their own firearm at their shop?:dunno:

2. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

walmart parking lot or a gas station is usually pretty good.

3. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Anywhere public but not too crowded.

Sounds like were preparing something illegal, lol.

4. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Viva Hate CLM

Why a gun shop? That would be one of the last places I'd do it - I can't imagine the owner would want people making unpapered transactions in the same place where he holds an FFL.

I've made FTF sales and purchases in the parking lots of:

Grocery stores
    Sporting goods stores
    Fast food restaurants
    Light rail stations
    Bookstores

Any public place that both people are familiar with and is (approx) equidistant from both parties.

5. Adams454

Adams454

I personally would use a Wal-mart parking lot. Or maybe a gracery store. Or CVS or walgreens. You want it to be private, but covered by cameras, incase it goes wrong. The problem with using a gun shop is that most of them are owned by small businessmen. If they see you doing a transaction on thier property, they might make a stink for you. They tend to want to be the only one in business on thier property. I know that, because I got told to never come back to a shop after I made a better offer than the shop on a trade-in that someone brought in. They don't really like competition. And I don't really blame them. I just wanted that gun.

6. ocala

ocala

That way you can examine the gun without scaring anyone...:wow:

7. mdfd

mdfd

that is exactly my thoughts and why I proposed the gunshop that I frequent. My thinking was that folks are used to seeing guns at a gunshop.
    And I am friends w/ the folks that run the gunshop that I frequent so they don't mind (I spend enough $$$ there). We would buy some range time, I would give the potential buyer a chance to shoot the gun at the range and do the transaction. And as far as "unpapered transactions", it will not be the case. I would definitely have 2 copies of the Bill of Sale/Transer of Ownership.....

GreyEclipse - I'm not sure what "sounds illegal" to you, why would one propose to do an illegal transaction at a public place like a gunshop and then post it on the net for all to see? Suspicious much? lol...

Thanls for the ideas folks. I guess I don't mind making the transaction at a parking lot, just if some other person who happens to walk by and see the buyer fondling a gun they might freak out is all I was worried about....

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  8. ronin.45

ronin.45

A public parking lot is a good spot. The parking lot of a range or gun shop is even better. As was already mentioned, if you are seen with a gun in the gun shop lot it won't raise any eyebrows. That may not be the case at Wal-mart.

9. mdfd

mdfd

that makes even more sense - thanks!

10. Kozel

Kozel

Doing private sale transaction on the property of FFL holder may not be legal or so I heard anyway. Just some regulation that is on the books somewhere

11. mdfd

mdfd

good to know - does that include their parking lot?:dunno:

12. arclight610

arclight610

13. hatidua

hatidua

Home Depot - everybody knows where they are and the crowd that shops there likely won't panic if they inadvertently see a gun.

14. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Viva Hate CLM

Having a bill of sale is not the point, you won't be performing a background check or filling out a 4473 - the things that a gun shop needs to do to stay out of trouble. Nobody with an FFL wants to have to explain to the Feds why undocumented sales were going on in his shop.

Most gun shops won't knowingly allow private sales on their premises for these reasons (among others).

I guess I just can't imagine making a FTF transaction in a way that would freak people out. Just be discreet about it.

15. Kozel

Kozel

I do not know details.

16. Girevik61

Girevik61

Make it exciting... A Dark Alley.

17. Glock 17L

Glock 17L *GLOCKAHOLIC*

I've done a few person to person sells/trades & met a McDonalds & Grocery stores.. Come to think of it both were to LEOs in my state which is absolutely legal here..Now that I think about it I'd bet those guys were more scared of ME than I was of them..
    Always check those firearms closely, at least you can, at gunshows a tiewraped gun can be ruined & you'd never know, because you can't rack the slide, drop the hammer or cycle the action of a revolver, I happen to be a S&W affectionado & checking timing, carry up, loose cylinder stop etc. takes a bit of time..
    Good Luck with your transaction..
    BE CAREFULL & PACK TWO HEATERS

18. mdfd

mdfd

ahh - thanx, good to know...I was just thinking of folks freaking out at the sight of a gun at a place different than a gunshop or range....never know how folks might over react these days...oh my God, they have a gun! They're going to hold up the Starbucks/Home Depot/WalMart/Gas Station/(insert favorite public spot here)! lol... Not everyone lives in a gun-friendly state...

lol - that would be interesting...:rofl:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  19. Dr. J Frame

Dr. J Frame LSWCHP +P

Pretty good answers given. I've always met in supermarket/store parking lots when dealing with guns and guitars.
    During my travels I notice lots of transactions occurring in bathroom stalls at wayside rest areas, and sometimes in the parking lots.

Same with truck stops, and at our MN airports frequented by US Senators. :supergrin:

20. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

The first place that comes to mind is a gun show.

I have done it at work.
    I have done it in the parking lot of Gander mountain.
    I have done it at the other person's work.

I usually know enough about the person before I go to know who I am dealing with.