close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

where to get fine rums?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by USP45T, Aug 13, 2004.

1. USP45T

USP45T

Anyone know where I could get good rums? besides going to the Islands. Can you recommend some? I've tried Havana Club 7 and Casa Bacardi. Like them both. Been wanting to try Ron Zacapa and Pyrat XO but can't find them in Michigan.

2. jbewley

jbewley Member

Rums are kind of a crapshoot.. a few here (Tulsa) have a great selection, but most just have the usual crud.

The Appleton Estate stuff is great everyday rum.. I've got a bottle of the Extra, but I think I actually like the V/X a little better, even though it's younger.

If you haven't already checked it out, take a look at eGullet's Ministry of Rum Forum. It's one of the best rum resources on the 'net. Ed Hamilton (author of some great books on Rum) moderates there.

I've had good luck mail ordering from http://www.internetwines.com , but I'm not sure how viable an option that is for you. It's pretty darned expensive compared to the prices here.. and it may not be legal in your state. Another option is to hit big liquor stores when you travel. I've had good luck at Binny's in Chicago.

Unfortunately, a ton of rums just plain aren't available in the US. Most of the Rhum Agricoles are only sold in Caribbean.

3. noway

noway

one word "florida".

4. jbewley

jbewley Member

Good call. Florida should have the motherload of rums. Personally, I'd recommend waiting a bit until Hurricane Charley blows over. Or through. Or whatever. 145 mile an hour winds? Ouch.

5. USP45T

USP45T

Have the Appleton Estates. Picked up a bunch in Jamaica in 02. Didn't buy the sixty? dollar one though. Think it had blue metal-work with the typical appleton style bottle. Speaking of Jamaica...I would love find Sangter's Jamaica Rum Cream. At the stores I've tried in SE Michigan, no one's heard of it. Saw the Cruzan Rum Cream on the link you provided. Think I might order some of that. Thanks.

Wife's going to back to Chicago next weekend. Where's Binny's?? And, spekaing of Chicago, have you happeened to have noticed liquor to be cheaper in IL or IN? MI sucks and even a few dollars discount would be good.

Thanks all for the replies. I've known Florida to be a great place to get Caribbean merchandise. I usually have people I know hit up smoke shops when they visit Florida. Love those Fuente's. Had a source for HC7/15 in Vancouver, but no more.

It's time for me to make a trip to Florida, never been. Have doctor friends that have place on canal in Key West. Lucky bastards!! Wife and I been thiking of hitting Miami for a few days and then taking a rental car down to the Keys and stay with them for a day or two. After the winds stop blowing of course.

Thanks again.

6. Guest

Where in Michigan are you? Here in Lansing there's a decent liquor store called Oadies' and they sell some of the better liquors.

Try Barbancourt Rum, it's pretty good.

7. USP45T

USP45T

NE burb of Detroit. Next time I visit Lansing I'll keep them in mind.

Internetwines doesnt ship to MI. Pricey anyway.

8. failsafe

failsafe

Help me ya all..I was in Dearborn a few years back, and there was a Bonifide Liquor Store, that had some great Tequilias and Rums....I can't remember the name, but it was on Michigan Ave ( i think)west of Southfield and before Telegraph....
    If you get to the Virgin Isles, check out Virgin Isle Rum....

9. noway

noway

{Wife's going to back to Chicago next weekend. Where's Binny's??}

Binnys are all over the place but the one down town on grand before the express way ( former zimmermans ) is a hot spot of mine for rum. Big selection and great prices. I always make a beeline straight to the back of the store before merging into import ales sections ;c

right now the best rum for the dollars are Barbancourt 15yr aged or Meyer's Legend. Both are well aged and mellow dark rums.

10. Guest

Next time some Michigan Glockers do a shoot and I can come remind me and I'll grab a bottle of Barbancourt for you. It's good.

11. Onion11

Onion11 Pluck Off!

I like the bacardi 16 yo. I've had some pretty good rums, but this is really good, and easy enough for me to find.

12. USP45T

USP45T

Thanks for the offer Cabbie, I should be able to find some myself. Although I would like to get out to one of the meet-ups.

Not familiar with Barcardi 16 yr old. I have Casa Bacardi and love it but I thought it was 8 yr old withe som additional time in Sherry casks.

13. Onion11

Onion11 Pluck Off!

Can't find the 16 online anywhere, but I have a local bartendender get it for me (Havent for a while) from god knows where. I saw a bottle at a party not too long ago.

14. noway

noway

Same here. I never seen a commercial offering from Bacardi that's aged to 16yrs. 1872 and Sorena are one of my 2 favorites next to their Anejo offering as along as it is not bottled in Mexico.

Another good aged rum with a very distinctive taste is produce by Appleton estate 21yrs old oak aged rum. It is hard to find and not as common as my Barbancourt or Meyer's pick. It will run you about $40-50 dollars per bottle, high for a rum but not as high as Barcardi Billenium (sp?) that avgs over $800 per bottle.;g

Binny's in downtown carrys this rum as well as a few surburan liquor store in greater chicago. I bought a bottle or to be specific 2 bottles off of rt59 ( fox valley ) a few years back.

Nice stuff.

15. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

16. dougader

dougader

17. USP45T

USP45T

Thanks for all the help guys. I need to hit up friends on their way to Florida or the Caribbean. I don't think I could get down there myself anytime soon.

Gonna hit a few places I haven't been to in a while such as Merchants Fine Wine in Dearborn (thanks failsafe).

18. wannacmyglock

wannacmyglock Mortgage Man!

Bacardi 151 is a fine beverage.

19. noway

noway

{Bacardi 151 is a fine beverage}

if you want to get drunk...

20. wannacmyglock

wannacmyglock Mortgage Man!

my thoughts exactly! lol