Where to find preban glock 23 mags

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by dagwag77, Feb 9, 2010.

1. dagwag77

dagwag77

I've had NO luck in the classifieds section! :wow:

I'm stuck in MA which requires that our high caps be pre-ban. I would be most appreciative if someone can point me in the right direction to where I can find some "pre-ban" glock 23 mags.

I should just move, huh?

2. bladenbullet

bladenbullet gun clinger

or you should find someone in another state who would be willing to send them to you...if thats what you are getting at...i am not volunteering...

3. sargespd

sargespd

This may be a silly question, but I honestly don't know. I was fortunate to be a cop during the ban, so all my mags were hi-cap. How would you tell the difference between a pre-ban G23 mag and a current production hi-cap? Neither would have serial numbers or manufacture dates marked on them, would they?

4. dagwag77

dagwag77

haha, certainly not asking anyone to step up (but if they want to trust me I'll pay for 'em!) - but I've run in to a few websites that sell pre-bans, theyre all out of stock, and I've been to every gun shop in my area in MA, none, called the rest, none, and even trotted up to NH to browse around the used mag bins to see if I can spot any.... I just got my hands on a brand new g23 in mass (another nightmarish situation due to AG regulations, we're not allowed to buy new glocks in MA :notworthy:), and I'm looking for ban compliant mags, I feel stupid paying "full price" for brand new 10 rd mags....

I think U1121 sums it up well:

So basically I've been asking people in the classifieds with gen 3 mags to tell me if they have the ambi cut on the front, from my understanding 3rd gens without LE stamping or ambi cuts are good to go...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  5. emopunker2004

emopunker2004

cant get any preban G22 mags and use those at all?

6. RBL525

RBL525

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but i don't live in a high cap ban state.

Are you not allowed to purchase, own, ship or use any high cap mags?

if the issue is owning, there isn't much you can do.

If the issue is purchasing, can't you purchase from another state, or does it have to be pre ban? how can one tell?

If the issue is shipping, why can't someone ship them to you in separate shipments for the case, the spring, and the followers?

On a different note, I have a buddy that flys to MA a couple times a year. would it be illegal for me to send them with him if you are in a similar area?

just trying to find a way to help.

7. Bruce M

Bruce M

8. vmann

vmann Controller

the only issue here is for you to buy them you are going to have to visit another state, buy them and bring or ship them home to yourself...

your not going to beable to buy them in your state, because they arent for sale due to law, and no "business" is going to send them to you because of your states law...

so go on vacation, visit a friend, or business trip and pick up what you need...no one is going to know what is prebans and what is not....

9. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

Just keep checking the trader here, they do come up once in awhile.

10. dagwag77

dagwag77

Thanks for the replies.

as difficult as g23 prebans to find :crying: I did convince one of the gun shops here to pull one out of a gun they were selling and replace it with a 10 rd er and sell me the preban. I paid $40.

No stupid questions! We can have high caps that were made before the ban, Mass has its own AWB. So no new high caps, but old ones are good. Essentially, the only thing that is illegal (no shipping restrictions, etc.) is having a mag that can hold more than 10 rds that was made after the 94 date. So basically, if I drove to NH (30 min drive from my house just north of Boston), and purchased a brand new made in 2010 glock high cap and crossed back into MA I'd be a felon, versus if I bought a glock mag made in 1992 then its A-OK. Our gun laws, well, suck...

As far as being able to tell pre from post ban, 1st 2nd and some 3rds are preban - if theyre 3rd gens (metal lining) with the silver rectangle in the front and/or LE Restricted markings then theyre post ban. Otherwise, 3rd gens without are preban (as far as I understand it).

11. Lothar

Lothar Noob

I could be wrong but i thought pre-ban hi cap glock mags were the non drop free mags. Not just ones w/o the front notch cut for ambi mag release. I bought my 19 in 08 and it has non cut mags and they are for sure made post ban... you might want to double check.

12. dagwag77

dagwag77

WOAH :wow: And I thought $40 for my one and only g22 preban at my local shop was steep...

From what I've read on here, there is a way to tell when they're made based on generation?

I have no idea... at minimum, it would pass scrutiny as they are indistinguishable from prebans if there are none of the ways to discriminate pre from post?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  13. Lothar

Lothar Noob

14. RBL525

RBL525

So basically, If I am trolling around the gun stores here, and see a pre ban G23 magazine, i should pick it up for my mass buddies?

15. vmann

vmann Controller

trust me, you cant tell the difference between mags of pre and post ban, yes, you can tell different gens of mags, but what agency of the govt is going to show up at your house and do a spot check and know what the hell they are looking at..for all you know, they will tell you that your pre bans are post bans and take you to jail!

...why are you so worried about it...i lived in california for about 5 years, and dont remember anyone checking my magazines to see what and what wasnt pre ban...go get your mags and get it over with...

16. vmann

vmann Controller

yes you do, you want full metal lined mags...what you dont want are non full metal lined mags...full metal lined mags were pre and post ban if thats what your getting at....still cant tell the difference...

17. vmann

vmann Controller

wrong, yes, non drop free mags were pre ban, but drop free mags were also made pre ban...as well as post ban

18. dagwag77

dagwag77

Looks like I want the U shaped top mags... yup. Thanks for the pics, very helpful!

Haha yup, and then buy it for $15 and sell it to us for $30... not that I'm advocating you make a killing off of us lucky enough to get stuck behind enemy lines, but hey, we're already bending over to state govt so might as well...

With all due respect, and trust me I know where you're coming from, I don't want to get caught in a circumstance where I've had to use my firearm in self defense, which in this state would bring everything in my safe under scrutiny. All I would need in that situation is having to defend against use of force for personal protection, AND a felony charge for having post pan high caps. I'd prefer to take the more difficult, but legal, road. They made the loophole, the least I can do is take advantage of it as to not become an "automatic felon."

19. dagwag77

dagwag77

any way to tell the difference other than the ambi cut?

20. Lothar

Lothar Noob

Not worth the risk to me... what if you get the one glock lover that knows what's what... be a felon and never get to own guns again? NO THANKS!

You want full metal lined mags but becuase they were made pre and post ban you cannot be sure that they are preban which is why he would want non metal lined.

Same as above.